PDA

View Full Version : Ibuprofen or Motrin allergy?

abstonka
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Anyone have a toddler who is allergic to ibuprofen or motrin? If so, how long after giving the medicine did you see hives? I gave my son generic motrin last night around 7 pm, and today I noticed hives at 5 pm. He was at preschool all day, but I think the teacher would have noticed. So far the hives are only on one leg and on both arms. He had not had any of that medicine in months. Thanks!

WolfpackMom
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
My DN is allergic to it, however, I would think the hives would show up faster than almost 24 hours later. Maybe he just got a contact allergy or something.

bubbaray
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
That's almost 24hrs after the dose -- IME, that is waaaay too late for a drug reaction. I would probably not give it again until you spoke with a dr, but from my experience with food allergies (which granted are different than drug allergies), 24hrs later is to late to be scientifically linked.

JMHO

wendibird22
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree that they may not be connected. Where you giving the med for a fever/illness? Hives are very common reaction to a virus so if your LO is sick it is possible that the hives are related to the illness and not the med.

RunnerDuck
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
My husband is allergic - he will react quite quickly if he takes it. I have never had a problem giving it to my kids - generally I give tylenol just in case - but if I do use motrin I watch them closely - have not had a problem. ~22 hours later, I would not blame the motrin.