PDA

View Full Version : did you move your 2 yr old from crib to twin bed?

jacksmom2009
01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
I was wondering if anyone has moved their just 2 yr old child from crib to a regular twin bed. and use side rails? or did u use toddler bed after crib. Our crib needs to be disposed of soon becuase it isnt staying together safely. right now we are using sheet rock screws to keep it together. but my son really needs to be moved out of it. as it is not easy to get him in and out.

so did u do crib to to reg twin bed. or
crib to toddler bed

neeleymartin
01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
i would get him out of that crib pretty quickly. most of my friends went directly to a twin mattress on the floor. we had a crib that has a toddler rail that we used, shortly after we went to the twin bed with swim noodles instead of bed rails. i think we would have been fine to go straight to the twin, as far as safety. but we knew that a gradual change for ds would be better. he is easily distraught by change.

have you thought about getting a new crib? i would keep lo contained as long as possible. ikea has models for just under $100.

jacksmom2009
01-28-2011, 01:23 AM
i was tempted to look into a crib. but i am not sure what to do. we do have a summer infant video monitor that i plan on putting in his room so we can see him at all times once he is down for nap or bed.

Uno-Mom
01-28-2011, 01:39 AM
I would do something ASAP if the crib isn't safe. How long can kids use toddler beds? I've never been sure.

If they can get a couple years' use out of it, I'd probably get a convertible crib. I do think Ikea has one that's not too spendy. It might even expand into a twin day bed, but I'm not sure about that.

elephantmeg
01-28-2011, 02:12 AM
we did for DS, our bed is really low and we used bed rails (we got them from a second hand store-we're always able to find them there!).

Neatfreak
01-28-2011, 02:13 AM
That's exactly what we did with DD2, who was a climber and started to refuse to be in her crib from about 22 month on. Twin bed with side rails. I'm not particularly a fan of "temporary" furniture like toddler beds, fwiw ...

Tondi G
01-28-2011, 02:14 AM
DS1 went from Crib to twin bed ... no rails... against one wall and he fell out of bed ONCE and that was a year after moving to a bed. DS2 went from the crib to the bottom bunk (twin over full) again we didn't bother with rails and he has never fallen out of bed.

crl
01-28-2011, 02:20 AM
I think I'd try the crib mattress in the floor. You could implement it immediately, rather than continuing to use the crib that isn't staying together. If that doesn't work for some reason, then you could check out an Ikea crib that converts to toddler bed or a low to the ground twin or some other solution.

Catherine

eagle
01-28-2011, 03:44 AM
our baby sometimes sleeps with us and our bed is a mattress on the floor. he loves it. in the mornings when hes there, he gets up whenever, climbs over our faces and helps himself to the floor where all the toys and books are.

when we transition him from the crib in his room to a mattress, there will be no problem.

i think that would be the easiest way to go.

if your crib is really that unsafe, just move the crib mattress to the floor for a night or two until you can purchase a mattress.

better safe than sorry, right?

egoldber
01-28-2011, 08:38 AM
I moved younger DD to a twin mattress on the floor at 18 months.

klwa
01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
We moved both children straight from crib to twin, no rails. DS fell out a few times (we don't have the box springs on for the first year or so, jsut mattress so it isn't as far of a fall.) DD has only fallen out once, when DS was in the bed with her & I'm pretty sure knocked her out. (He hasn't been allowed back in the twin with her.) :)

MoJo
01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
I think I'd try the crib mattress in the floor. You could implement it immediately, rather than continuing to use the crib that isn't staying together.

:yeahthat:, no question. I'd do that tonight in your situation.

My own 2 year old started climbing out at about 20 months. And at 24 months, she started having nightmares. . . when her sister was only 2 weeks old. So she has a toddler bed in her room, but has been sleeping with me in my queen bed ever since.

FWIW, my very tall 2 1/2 year old has plenty of room in the toddler bed for a few more years, if she ever decides to actually sleep there.

mommylamb
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
We went strait from crib to a twin bed, but DS was 3. It was an easy transition for us though. He doesn't even have a rail on the bed. He fell out once during a nap about 2 weeks after he started sleeping in the bed, but he was fine and hasn't fallen out since.

I would just put your crib mattress on the floor until you've figured out what you want to do.

wendibird22
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
We moved DD1 out of her crib at 2yr 2mos to a twin mattress on the floor. After a few weeks we put the mattress on the box spring and added a toddler rail. We chose to skip the extra expense of a toddler bed since it is outgrown so quickly.

boltfam
01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I didn't read all the other responses, but we moved DS right from a crib to a twin bed. We did take off the box spring, so it was a little closer to the ground.