PDA

View Full Version : id bracelet-autism

melrose7
01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
I need to get DD1 a id bracelet but can't figure out which kind to get. Her autism therapists want it for safety reasons and for her to be able to point to it when others ask her name since she can't say it. But I also want it to include her autism diagnosis, the fact she's nonverbal, our names, phone numbers, and address. it seems like a lot to put on the front and back of a little bracelet. I also don't know what kind of bracelet to get. There are pretty beaded ones but I'm afraid that will get damaged (she's suppose to wear it 24/7), or a stainless steel, or just a leather strap. I can't do the velcro ones since she'd be able to take that off. I know she'll get use to it but I don't know what would be the sturdiest or less annoying for her to wear. I don't want one with a medical stamp because with all the info I want on there that just takes up space. anyone have one they like?

naam
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
DS has a basic stainless steel Medic Alert brand bracelet for his food allergies/asthma. It does have the medic symbol on front. On the back it just lists his allergies/asthma, his EpiPen info, his personal ID number, and a phone number to call for more info (i.e., his name, address, our info, etc.). A lot of people suggested to us that having his name and address could be a safety issue with all the bad people out there. Also, medical professionals are trained to just look for the basic stainless steel bracelets. Fancy bracelets or unusual locations (such as shoes) may be overlooked. HTH.

nov04
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
DS has a basic stainless steel Medic Alert brand bracelet for his food allergies/asthma. It does have the medic symbol on front. On the back it just lists his allergies/asthma, his EpiPen info, his personal ID number, and a phone number to call for more info (i.e., his name, address, our info, etc.). A lot of people suggested to us that having his name and address could be a safety issue with all the bad people out there. Also, medical professionals are trained to just look for the basic stainless steel bracelets. Fancy bracelets or unusual locations (such as shoes) may be overlooked. HTH.

Same with us.

TwoBees
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Did a quick google search and was browsing this website (http://www.americanmedical-id.com/), it seems like you can fit quite a bit of text on some of these bracelets, like this:

https://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/createwizard.php?cartitemid=1296224523759&vendor_id=ami&PHPSESSID=gn83lprigliiumak87sgirfla0&vendor_id=ami

elliput
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
My suggestion is to enroll your DD in MedicAlert Safe & Sound (http://www.medicalert.org/join/medicalert_safe_and_soundDetail.htm?selected=Medic Alert+Membership_MedicAlert+%2B+Safe+%26+Sound)

My DD's is a verbal autistic and can say her name when asked, however she doesn't always respond so her bracelet says "Autism- Verbal response may be inappropriate". For your DD, it would most likely just say "Autism- Nonverbal". My DD has two bracelets, both stainless steel. She managed to get the original one off and we thought it was lost so ordered a new one. After finding the original one in the car, she insisted on wearing one on each wrist. LOL

melrose7
01-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas and links. I was thinking the same thing about a stainless steel one over a beaded one thinking it may be overlooked. I keep going back and forth about the address via safety reasons and I keep thinking that kids are suppose to know their name, address, and phone number and it will be a long time before she is able to answer that. So I though name, autism/nonverbal, and 1 phone number on front, and DHs cell and address on back.