PDA

View Full Version : Taxes ?

Raidra
01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I totally goofed and forgot to get Niall's social security number (he was born at home). Now we want to file our taxes and obviously can't claim him as a dependent without his SS#. Is it possible to file now and get our refund, then do some sort of adjustment after we get his SS#?

I tried Googling this and didn't get anywhere, thought you wonderfully smart people might know. :)

Thanks!

dukie41181
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I would imagine so. We've made changes to our taxes in years past without problem. I suppose you could also file for extension. We had our daughter in a freestanding birth center so had to file the paperwork too and it took us 11 weeks to get the SS #. It just showed up this week. So if you can get it in quickly, maybe you won't be that late or maybe you'll get it quicker than we did and still be able to file by the deadline.

Good luck to you! Hopefully a tax expert has more help for you than me!

BabyBearsMom
01-28-2011, 09:53 AM
You have a couple of options. You could try to rush the SS# and file in time for the April deadline. You could submit an extension request and then file your taxes. It gives you 6 more months. Or you can file your taxes now and then file an amended return later. Techinically, an amended return is to correct an inadvertant mistake, so if you were to be audited, the auditor might give you a hard time about that, just something to keep in mind. FWIW, *I* would submit an extension request and file my taxes later (even though I'm sure you want your refund now) just to follow all the rules to the letter.

bigpassport
01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
You still have 2.5 months to file your tax return. Have you looked into how long it will take to get a SSN? If i were in your shoes, I would apply for the SSN immediately and hope it arrives in time. If it doesn't, file by 4/15 and then amend.

Raidra
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
We really need the money right now. Mainly because my parents' pending foreclosure will leave us without a place to live (we share the house) and we need enough money for first/last/security. We also just bought plane tickets for a trip and need some of the refund to pay for hotels (we get a sizeable refund, though not nearly enough to stave off the foreclosure). That's why we want to file now and then amend the return.

Penny's Pappa
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I would apply for that SSN immediately and wait to see if it arrives before 4/15 (well, this year it's actually 4/18). If it doesn't, I would file an extension.

In the meantime, I would work on getting a "rough draft" of your return made up to get an estimate of how much, if any, you might owe to the IRS. Even if you get an extension, anything you owe is due on April 18th, so you'll want to make sure you make your payment on time so as to avoid penalties and interest.

JBaxter
01-28-2011, 10:52 AM
I apply for his SS now file your taxes then file an amended tax form when you get his number.

Penny's Pappa
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
We really need the money right now. Mainly because my parents' pending foreclosure will leave us without a place to live (we share the house) and we need enough money for first/last/security. We also just bought plane tickets for a trip and need some of the refund to pay for hotels (we get a sizeable refund, though not nearly enough to stave off the foreclosure). That's why we want to file now and then amend the return.

Just FYI, some peoples' returns (e.g. those with itemized deductions) are not going to be processed by the IRS until the middle of February. If you're one of those people, you may not see your refund until late-Feb/early-March even if you file today.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=234736,00.html?portlet=7

AnnieW625
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
It took about 10 days to get Lauren's actual card. If you go to the office and file the paperwork they might be able to assign him the number immediately. Good luck!

Indianamom2
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh, I feel for you! We did this exact same thing last year with Ds. Apparently, even though we filed for the number while at the hospital, we never received it.

We went immediately and applied for a new card (since we'd never gotten a number period) and if I remember correctly, they gave us the number so that we could go ahead and file the taxes (no rush, we just like to be early!) and the card arrived some time later.

Why not call the SS office and see if they can at least give you the number to file with?

Mikey0709
01-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes- some states can issue you the number right away - - then your card will come later!

BUT as poster above stated - - if you itemize or use schedule A - - the IRS will not even process your return yet!!!! They are still behind due to last minute law changes last year.

Apparenlty they are estimating this will be mid-February... but no public annoucement yet of when they will actually be ready to process those returns.

STINKS for us - - i usually get my return mid-february - - so it will probably be at LEAST a month later for us this year!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Here is the IRS answer:

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq/0,,id=199714,00.html

It says you can file without claiming the child and then file an amended return