PDA

View Full Version : Where did you buy your swing set (B&M store)?

arivecchi
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I am interested in possibly getting a small one for my boys. I would like to buy one at a B&M store so I can see the size of it and pay for installation.

elektra
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Does Costco have their summer stuff out yet? That's where I've always eyeballed the swingsets. You might have to wait a month or two until they start bringing that seasonal stuff out though.
Other than there, I have really only seen them in catalogs that I can remember.

arivecchi
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Bummer. No Costco membership here. :( We let it lapse because we really did not find it was helping us save. Would that be the only option?

scrooks
01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Ours is a very small Step 2 set and we purchased it at TRU. DH installed it himself so I am not sure if they do installation. I agree with PPs, I have always eyed the ones at Sams and Costco. When we invest in a bigger set we will probably get one at a warehouse club.

arivecchi
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I thought about getting a Little Tikes or Step 2 one but they don't seem large enough for my 4 yo. Am I wrong about that? He is 42 inches tall.

boolady
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Do you have a local B&M store? Friends of ours got a great end of season deal on a beautiful set, including installation, through a local store that sells swingsets, etc. and fitness equipment.

RunnerDuck
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
If you buy it as costco it is one of those items where the membership will pay for itself. They always have one really nice option at a good price. Problem is they can be HUGE - year before lasts was HUGE, way too much swingset for our yard. Last years was much more reasonable - but still not what I'd call "small."

One of the kits at Home Depot might be more what you want.

Lowe's has nice looking ones but I am skeptical of HOW nice they hold up over time. Cheap swing sets all look nice when new. But the Lowe's one, I don't know how well they hold up. They come with the wood I think. Though they usually do seem to have another model outside which is put up by another company - might be higher quality.

Home Depot, you mostly add your own lumber - so you can make it as high quality as you want.

Another option, I don't know what the offerings are in your area but I know Illinois does have Amish - if there is a Amish outdoor furniture/shed kinda place you k now of, they often make very nice swing sets. Price might be highish, but so will the quality. And you can likely specify more what you want as far as size etc.

scrooks
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I thought about getting a Little Tikes or Step 2 one but they don't seem large enough for my 4 yo. Am I wrong about that? He is 42 inches tall.
The Step 2 set we have in the backyard is perfect for my 3.5 year old but I can see it being too small for a 4 or 5 year old. I guess it depends on the kid. My DD still likes our indoor kangaroo climber too and I would technically call her "too big" for it.

boolady
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't know exactly where you live in/near Chicago, but the brand they got from a local retailer seems to have retailers in your area:

http://www.creativeplaythings.com/

DebbieJ
01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
HD, Lowes, and Menards all sell them. So does TRU--our neighbor got theirs there. Also, The Great Escape store sells them too. I don't know about installation. I know there is a store in Homer Glen that also sells sheds and fences that sells swingsets too. Maybe there is something like that up there by you.

We got ours at Costco last year. They do have this years in the store already, but I haven't seen the display up. They also have a few different models online.

If you need someone to install, my dad is out of work and might want a side job. He did ours.

elephantmeg
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
we got one from home depot

justlearning
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I just got this month's Costco Connection and it features a cedar swingset that it says will be available in warehouses for $999. It's really neat--there's an enclosed playhouse/clubhouse down below and a semi-enclosed playhouse on top. It also has a 12' wavy enclosed slide, a rock wall, swings, etc. Because it's a curvy slide, it whips around right next to the clubhouse so it's more compact than previous models have been.

JTsMom
01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I just got this month's Costco Connection and it features a cedar swingset that it says will be available in warehouses for $999. It's really neat--there's an enclosed playhouse/clubhouse down below and a semi-enclosed playhouse on top. It also has a 12' wavy enclosed slide, a rock wall, swings, etc. Because it's a curvy slide, it whips around right next to the clubhouse so it's more compact than previous models have been.

This one?
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201102#pg100

JTsMom
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
This is the one that BJ's had in store last year:
http://www.bjs.com/adventure-playsets-mt-rainier-wooden-play-center-with-built-in-picnic-table.product.124951

We were planning on getting it, but something else came up. We looked just about everywhere, and for our needs, this was the best match/value. It's hard to find a lower end model with monkey bars, and this one has them.

justlearning
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
This one?
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201102#pg100

Yes, that's the one--I didn't realize that the connection was online.

We purchased a small Rainbow set off of craigslist for $200 and my DH then built on to customize it to our space. But it ended up still costing a lot considering the cost of the cedar wood, rock wall holds, etc. And it was a lot of work. So if we were to do it again, I think we'd get the Costco playset described above. But my boys might miss having the monkey bars and tire swing that they have now.

arivecchi
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the great info! And Deb thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind. :)

RunnerDuck
01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
The costco one looks too heavy again for my tastes. I worry with there being so much to it - the solid walled fort end and all - the upkeep would be a pain and it would end up looking awful after a few years. Anyone actually have one in that style and care to comment? I'd like something lighter and more open. Swings, slide, open fort.

C99
01-29-2011, 03:07 AM
I have the old-school version of this (without the swings). It's great for my kids. I got it for $60 at a garage sale in the 'hood. http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1335

GvilleGirl
01-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Kind of a treck out of the city, but The Guy on 41 in Highland Park carries Playnation I believe. They have a bunch set up. Our dealer here has actual playtimes so there is no pressure to buy. I think the showroom there is all outdoors.

arivecchi
01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the information!

alexsmommy
01-29-2011, 04:02 PM
We went to a Rainbow play set showroom. There was one in Naperville. If you go to their website they'll list them. We have the small basic set and it's perfect fo us. DS1 can still use it comfortably at age 8.

artvandalay
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
We bought the kit from Menards that comes with plans and the plastic parts (slide, swings, etc.) and purchased all of our lumber separately from a local lumber supply store. My husband and FIL assembled it in a weekend. My DH wanted to pick out specific wood so this is why we chose this route.

Tondi G
01-29-2011, 08:56 PM
I like the looks of this one on the Costco website

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11526472&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|4060|4062&N=4000203&Mo=16&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11007-Cat4060&topnav=

carolinamama
01-29-2011, 09:03 PM
We went to our local Rainbow showroom. They were really helpful working with us on our space and what type of structure we wanted. We got one of the Castle models and have loved it but they have tons of different ones to choose from. It is holding up very well and DH and I can climb on it too.