PDA

View Full Version : Update: DH has the flu...

Melaine
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
UPDATE:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I bought the elderberry stuff (Sambucol) and started that immediately along with Vitamin D for DH and me. I gave the girls Vitamin D and Oscillococcinum. After talking to the pharmacist and reading online a bit I decided to hold off on giving the girls Tamiflu since they were showing no symptoms. DH is much much better. I still feel like I barely have a cold (although I know I have the flu from the weird symptoms)...so I am absolutely convinced that the Sambucol has helped me a lot! In fact, right now I am thinking it's a miracle! So I really appreciate the tip and we will be using this next time for sure. I'm starting to have hope that the girls might not get sick at all. BBB to the rescue yet again!

Any over the counter tips? He missed the 48 hour window for tamiflu. He tested positive for B flu, whatever that means. I suppose there is nothing I can do preventatively for the girls? TIA!

Mikey0709
01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Constant hand washing, bleach and lysol... and hope for the best. We're just ALL getting over Type A.

The kids bounced back ALOT faster than adults.... i literally felt horrible for almost 2 weeks while taking over the counter - -nothing seemed to help. Of course i also don't get a chance to REST OR RECOVER being a mom.

And for anyone wondering.... we ALL had flu shots! My 3 year old tested postive at the hospital (i thought he was having a reaction to a medication)... and our 10 month old tested positive at the pediatrition - - he had his 2 part infant flu shots about a month prior.

ER nurse me about 75% of people who end up at the hospital for the flu have had a flu shot.... and think they have something else cause they had the shot.

DietCokeLover
01-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I suppose there is nothing I can do preventatively for the girls? TIA!

Go to your mother's!!!

Seriously, I hope he feels better soon.

Melaine
01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Go to your mother's!!!

Seriously, I hope he feels better soon.

Not a bad idea! If I didn't think it was too late I'd totally do it. But I have it too, just don't feel as bad yet. Of course, just knowing that I will end up taking care of all three of them and never get to recover is bumming me out.

Rainbows&Roses
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Elderberry syrup or lozenges. I was not a believer in the powerful antiviral properties of this stuff till I had a cold and took some of the lozenges I had been giving my DD. The congestion went away within 24 hours when it normally would have been around for another week. I still had cold symptoms, but I was on the mend. It is supposedly good for the flu also and as a daily preventative. That oscillo stuff is also supposedly good to prevent flu.

good luck!

MommyAllison
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
:yeahthat: Elderberry syrup knocked my DD's flu down in one dose. Oscillococcinum is supposed to be really good too, but I'm not sure if it is too late for it to work for your DH. The elderberry syrup should still work though. Hope it ends with him!

DietCokeLover
01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Ok, i've had a cold for going on 3 weeks now- where do I get the Elderberry Syrup?

Melaine
01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, the pediatrician just called something in for the girls to take preventatively. Does that sound like a good idea?

AnnieW625
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
yeah I would have them take it just in case. Can you have your mom come over and pick up the girls so both you and your DH get some much needed rest?

oneplustwo
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm totally intrigued by this elderberry syrup. Where do you buy it?

m448
01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I always keep oscillococcinum around and if it's not flu we immediately increase vitamin d and superior vitamin c and zinc.

Melaine
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I am finding this, but it looks like it just has elderberry flavor which doesn't seem like it would be the same: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sambucol-cold-%26-flu-relief/ID=prod4188079-product

Melaine
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I always keep oscillococcinum around and if it's not flu

I can give the kids' version of that preventatively at least, right? I'm just nervous about starting a prescription without symptoms.

Rainbows&Roses
01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I am finding this, but it looks like it just has elderberry flavor which doesn't seem like it would be the same: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sambucol-cold-%26-flu-relief/ID=prod4188079-product

Yes, it is the sambucol brand that we take, but not the cold and flu relief, just the regular syrup/lozenges. I give my DD the syrup and I take the lozenges. I get the plain stuff and not the immunity one with zinc and echinachea.

I used to get it at whole foods, but it is expensive there so I was getting the syrup at amazon. I found the lozenges very cheap (relative to whole foods) at vita.cost.com

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Sambucus-Original-Lozenges

m448
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Definitely and you can even half dose the regular version. Sambucol or any other elderberry syrup as mentioned is also great.

Melaine
01-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Bumping for update.

Tondi G
01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I love Elderberry. It has saved me a few times. It is really good stuff. I buy the Natures Way brand cause it has raspberry flavor and my kids don't complain so much... the regular stuff has a stronger after taste.

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Sambucus-Immune-Syrup