PDA

View Full Version : too many meds?

euno
01-28-2011, 07:50 PM
dd has had a bad cold for about 10 days and her coughing has been pretty bad, keeping her awake at night and at naptimes. we finally took her to the ped today who said that she's slightly wheezing and could hear some inflammation in the lungs. so she prescribed albuterol, prednisolone (steroid) and azithromycin (antibiotics). i think this is way too much medication for a cough and some excess mucus, but i'm not a doctor so what do i know? there's nothing severe at all about her cold so i'm concerned as to why she has to take all this medication - not to mention the antibiotics and steroids taste HORRIBLE and are both stomach upsetting.

what do you think?

i gave dd the albuterol but could i just not give the steroids and antibiotics for a few days and see if she gets better?

bubbaray
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
I would give what the dr prescribed.

WolfpackMom
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM

:yeahthat:
DS is on all three of those right now for an ear infection and asthma. There is a noticeable difference in his breathing after a treatment. I would do what the dr prescribed especially if its keeping her from sleeping.

Green_Tea
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM

:yeahthat:

I wouldn't mess around with lung inflammation. It can easily develop into pneumonia and a trip to the ER.

euno
01-28-2011, 08:03 PM
thanks, i will. but how to hide the taste?! i made a smoothie with tons of sugar but she can still taste the zithromax and refuses to drink anymore. dd is almost 3 and even lollipops/ice cream bribes are not working...

ett
01-28-2011, 08:05 PM

:yeahthat: Each medication has a different purpose. If you thought that your DD's cold was bad enough to warrant a doctor's visit, then I would follow his advice with the medication.

bubbaray
01-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I dose medicine in a syringe and hold the child down if I have to. Both of those drugs taste horrible. They can both be flavored by your pharmacist, though. You could call and ask if you can take it back for flavoring.

euno
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
called ped and let her know no matter how much i mixed it with ice cream, candy, dd wouldn't take it. she laughed and said just give albuterol and the steroid prednisolone (which is actually really delicious) for now.

WHEW. thanks everyone, for your super quick help! so appreciative of it.