PDA

View Full Version : international breastfeeding symbol...coming to a location near you, we hope!!

neeleymartin
01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
http://mothering.com/breastfeeding/international-breastfeeding-symbol-photos

just posted on a blog i follow. cool!! hopefully we will see more and more of these signs as time passes.

LMPC
01-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for posting that!

TwinFoxes
01-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Nice design. It will look good as a window decal on a car too. :thumbsup:

3blackcats
01-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Someone in my neighbourhood has a bumper sticker with this symbol on it.

daisymommy
01-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Would you believe my local Duncan Donuts shop has it on the door? With the phrase "Breastfeeding moms welcome here!" New reason to go eat donuts :love-retry:

citymama
01-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Excellent! I want to see this at IKEA, BRU...Target!

♥ms.pacman♥
01-28-2011, 11:52 PM
that is pretty cool!

i always thought it was funny how in almost all nursing areas i've seen (in local malls, near family restrooms and such), the symbol on the "nursing" sign is always a bottle! this one seems to make a bit more sense...

twowhat?
01-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Though a bit sad that it has come to this! Does a nursing mother really have to go through the trouble to obtain a KEY to a nursing room if she wants to use it? LOL!!!

MamaSnoo
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Well, if I were (still) a nursing mom....I'd gladly request a key to avoid finding anyone in there not nursing, KWIM?

cheri
01-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Nice! I like the idea of a universal, recognizable symbol.

DebbieJ
01-29-2011, 01:23 PM
The symbol was developed several years ago, so it's not new. What's new is that it is being used to promote breastfeeding and welcome nursing moms in public.

artvandalay
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
:heartbeat: this!!

Nooknookmom
01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
That is AWESOME!!!!!!

american_mama
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
It is a nice design. But I do wonder if perhaps a big public place that has a sign for this, like a mall or airport, might end up making people feel the only appropriate place to breastfeed is in the designated spot. By people, I mean possibly mothers but more importantly, the general public and employees, who might take the sign as reason to tell a mom "You can't nurse in the food court/on a bench/in the waiting area. You have to go to the designated nursing area." Which would not be the desired effect of a breastfeeding symbol, IMO.

Katigre
01-29-2011, 02:55 PM
My church has one on their nursery :).

wellyes
01-29-2011, 03:25 PM
It is a nice design. But I do wonder if perhaps a big public place that has a sign for this, like a mall or airport, might end up making people feel the only appropriate place to breastfeed is in the designated spot. By people, I mean possibly mothers but more importantly, the general public and employees, who might take the sign as reason to tell a mom "You can't nurse in the food court/on a bench/in the waiting area. You have to go to the designated nursing area." Which would not be the desired effect of a breastfeeding symbol, IMO.
Nursing rooms can be a bit of a mixed blessing. I was out with my mom at a museum, early on in my motherhood, and asked at customer service if there was a mother's room available. My mom (65ish) was so pleased they had one, and said "Oh, that's so nice, this means you won't have to do it in the restroom!" On the one hand, I definitely prefer a private space to a park bench and I think most women do. But on the other hand, the rooms do reinforce the "behind closed doors only" mindset.

I do like the symbol & the awareness campaign :)

♥ms.pacman♥
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM

hm, i didnt' think about this but that is an interesting point. while i eventually got comfortable with NIP, there were times when i actually preferred to use a nursing/mothers room... not so much bc i was embarrassed or felt out of place but after a certain age (6mos) my son would get waay too distracted to nurse in places like crowded restaurant/shopping areas, and it was just easier to have a quiet, calm area to nurse him.

though from some of the pics in the article it seems like sometimes the symbol is just on sticker on a generic door (not above a specific nursing area)..so it's more of a "breastfeeding welcome here" sign vs. indicating a specific breastfeeding area....

american_mama
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
>> On the one hand, I definitely prefer a private space to a park bench and I think most women do.

Generally, I agree, but if I have my older children with me, then a park bench or pool chair or the like is the most reasonable place to nurse, rather than crowding all four of us into a room with nothing for the older kids to do. Or being on a bench or waiting room chair is the most effective if I'm waiting for someone, or need to watch something that's going on in public (waiting for a flight to board, for instance) or lots of other reasons.... sometimes you just need to nurse in public regardless of what you'd prefer.

So I'd hope the symbol could represent "Nursing is welcomed here, in our mother's room or anywhere else." That would be ideal.