PDA

View Full Version : Advice on juggling more balls in the air

niccig
01-29-2011, 02:45 AM
So how do you manage so many different things?

I started classes this week and we're all exhasted. We had to get up and going earlier 2 days and then weren't home until 6pm. DS is in aftercare on those days - he loved it, but is tired. He has gymnastics once a week adn piano once a week. This weekend we have to do a photo collage as he's the super star, work on his 100 day project and start writing his name in valentines.

I've still got project work, but hoping to be finished in next 4-6 weeks, and working on that in the evenings. I have to study for 2 classes that have exam/homework every 2-3 weeks. Plus the normal house stuff - we do have cleaner every other week, but there's cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, car for new tires - which I still have not done etc. DH is looking at a new company that would mean longer commute, more hours, but a much better work enviroment (creative, vibrant, challenging were the words he used to describe his visit). If he does get a job offer, he'll have to leave earlier and come home later, but there is a chance he can transfer to closer office that's only 20 mins from home, but probably not for first year.

So, we'll have more things to do, but less time to do them in. Help!

elephantmeg
01-29-2011, 08:47 AM
-make lists. I find that if I can get it down on paper it seems more manageable at times (at other times it looks work but it keeps me from being anxious about what I'm forgetting)
-do as much cooking ahead on the weekends etc as you can-plan out meals at least and look at if you can cook meat ahead etc. Crock pot if you can.
-schedule out homework time, project time, family fun time in advance
-do your homework at the table with your DS

-can DH do the tires?
-I find it easier to do all the laundry once a week-I do 5-6 loads, fold it all and put it away. It seems to take less time to fold once a week while watching TV then it does to fold and put away several times a week.

egoldber
01-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Make lists

Prioritize

Lower expectations for everything and everyone. (e.g., Home made Valentines? No. The store bought box is fine.)

Get up earlier to get things done.

Every day triage what is most important and deal with that. Anything more is gravy.

Sorry. It does get easier after awhile. It was really hard for me to go from SAH "super" mom who was able to be at school for everything to putting in the occasional school appearance.

This weekend we have to do a photo collage as he's the super star, work on his 100 day project and start writing his name in valentines.

And seriously, I hate these type of projects. Especially for kids in early grades. It totally means the parents are doing it and need to make time for it.

hillview
01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Make lists

Prioritize

Lower expectations for everything and everyone. (e.g., Home made Valentines? No. The store bought box is fine.)

Every day triage what is most important and deal with that. Anything more is gravy.

:yeahthat:

Lower expectations and prioritize are my 2 big ones
/hillary

bubbaray
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
ITA with the PPs. Prioritize. The first few weeks, you'll be in damage control land, that is normal with any transition. It definitely gets better as everyone gets into a routine.

What about hiring a local teen to come after school to help your DS with homework and projects -- then you can make dinner in peace.

I would also look at hiring out everything you can afford to, including cooking. Have a service come in and cook meals in your home and freeze them for you.

If this is going to be your life for next year, I would also seriously reconsider weekday activities. We bascially have none except for swimming, which both girls do at the same time and they go right from daycare to swimming on that night.

PS -- GET THOSE TIRES! :)

Seitvonzu
01-29-2011, 11:49 AM
you got some great suggestions! i just wanted to chime in with "it will be hard, but you can do it!" i have a friend who goes to school while mommying and it's a little rough, but she is able to get lots done at night. i agree that at your son's age, you could probably do some of your homework with him... what a great example! I love that image (even if you have to save bigger projects for after bed or before he wakes up or weekends)

personally-- the house wouldn't be as clean, the meals wouldn't be as elaborate (simple meals can taste really good...and fresh! i always try to remember that my child LOVES uncooked foods right now... RAW DIET :) she LOVES that- and it's easy!), i'd simplify lots of things and still feel like i was spinning.

i think you'll amaze yourself. my SIL always said she seemed to have "more time" when she was working- mostly because when you HAVE to do it, you do! (i think you've mentioned that you expand your task to fill time in other posts? this sounds like a highly motivating time that will allow you to work on that!)

your post was full of excitement that was catching-- new stuff for you, potentially DH, and dear son (by proxy!) -- best of luck to you all! hang in their mama, you'll do great!

gatorsmom
01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Just checking in really quick today (Greenbean has a fever and is really clingy) so haven't read the other responses. But I wanted to say that I try to plan everything out. I used to do it on a paper calendar in our house but that was hard because i didn't bring it with me so didn't always have access to it.

Then I got the iphone and it changed my whole world. In the notes I have a running list of things I need to get at the grocery store, things I need at Target, things I've ordered with the date and order number and when to expect them, etc. If I happen to be at Target and realized that I can get Clif bars much cheaper at the grocery store, I whip out the ol' iphone and add Clif bars to my grocery list. That way I only make one trip every week or so. Same with Target. We got an invitation to a couple of birthday parties so I immediately put them on the calendar and added "gifts" to my Target list. Then, on the calendar, a couple of days before the parties, I added, "got gifts for bday parties?" And I do this sort of double-check system for anything I think I might forget or misplace. DH's calendar is synced to mine so he sees the same thing. If I have scheduled a haircut or doctor's appointment a few weeks out, I put a reminder on it for DH to be home at such time to watch the kids so I can leave. The iphone has made my life Sooo much easier.

I will also say that when I had a regular routine, I scheduled in time for me to go to Target or the grocery store and do cleaning every week. Having a regular routine makes it much easier to keep up the cleaning and the shopping for the house while keeping all the other balls in the air. hth!

I will say, that

niccig
01-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone. These are great ideas.

I've already had one tiff with DH over the change to our lives. He wanted to spend most of day out, and I was "what about the collage poster, the 100 day project and I have to go to the grocery store". I don't have time to do all of these during the week. We talked and about what we would do with the projects and he kept having all of these extravagant ideas that would take too long to do, and were more work for us. These are DS's projects, and I believe he needs to do as much as possible. We compromised and worked out that we could do for the projects, go to the movie, then head off and do some errands. I'm going to the grocery store tonight. DH is doing the 100 day project, I'm doing the valentines and we'll both do the photo collage tomorrow with DS.

I'm going to have to work against tendency to do all work and no play.

And Melissa, I ordered the tires today. I shopped around and Costco had the best price, so I'm going to try them. I'm glad you all told me about tirerack.com, a couple of the options I was given by all the stores, are no better than the stock tires I have on according to the tire rack reviews. I would not have known this, and they were only $20 less a tire, then the better ones I'm getting. DH now wants to replace his tires with better ones.

niccig
01-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Ok, time to answer in a little more detail. I just got back from getting groceries.

Make lists

Sorry. It does get easier after awhile. It was really hard for me to go from SAH "super" mom who was able to be at school for everything to putting in the occasional school appearance.

And seriously, I hate these type of projects. Especially for kids in early grades. It totally means the parents are doing it and need to make time for it.

I did get up early today, normally we all lie in. DH was folding the laundry, so I put all the loads on today..well, all until saw DH's clothes from this week in a heap rather than the hamper, he'll have to do those if he wants to wear them.

I want DS to do as much of the projects as he can, hence the argument with DH over what to do for the 100 day project. We compromised and he said he'll do it with DS. I miss his first field trip this week, kind of bummed, but I will go in on Friday for their weekly school meeting. I'll do what I can, but I can't do it all

ITA with the PPs. Prioritize. The first few weeks, you'll be in damage control land, that is normal with any transition. It definitely gets better as everyone gets into a routine.

What about hiring a local teen to come after school to help your DS with homework and projects -- then you can make dinner in peace.

I would also look at hiring out everything you can afford to, including cooking. Have a service come in and cook meals in your home and freeze them for you.

If this is going to be your life for next year, I would also seriously reconsider weekday activities. We bascially have none except for swimming, which both girls do at the same time and they go right from daycare to swimming on that night.

PS -- GET THOSE TIRES! :)

I've started to prioritze and think ahead. Already driving DH crazy with the "gotta do this and do that" list. DS doesn't have homework yet, but our teen neighbour is letting our dog out in the afternoons I'm gone too long, and his Dad told him to also bring our garbage bins in as one of the days is trash day. Now, if he could just put them out as well, sweet! I'll think about a cooking service, I do like to cook, so I think I'll try planning ahead first - cooking chicken now for dinner Tuesday. We may drop piano for DS, he's not really enjoying himself and I think we should take a break and try again in a year or two.

you got some great suggestions! i just wanted to chime in with "it will be hard, but you can do it!" i have a friend who goes to school while mommying and it's a little rough, but she is able to get lots done at night. i agree that at your son's age, you could probably do some of your homework with him... what a great example! I love that image (even if you have to save bigger projects for after bed or before he wakes up or weekends)

personally-- the house wouldn't be as clean, the meals wouldn't be as elaborate (simple meals can taste really good...and fresh! i always try to remember that my child LOVES uncooked foods right now... RAW DIET :) she LOVES that- and it's easy!), i'd simplify lots of things and still feel like i was spinning.

i think you'll amaze yourself. my SIL always said she seemed to have "more time" when she was working- mostly because when you HAVE to do it, you do! (i think you've mentioned that you expand your task to fill time in other posts? this sounds like a highly motivating time that will allow you to work on that!)

your post was full of excitement that was catching-- new stuff for you, potentially DH, and dear son (by proxy!) -- best of luck to you all! hang in their mama, you'll do great!

I think I'll be fine once I adjust to being busy. I do use up all the available time, and I'm always surprised at how much I can do when I have little time. I like the idea of working with DS. He doesn't have homework yet, but I could write out notes etc, and he could do some type of "homework". I know I'll have to lower expectations with house/cooking etc, it won't be forever though. It is kind of exciting, but in a scary way. I'm hoping we can settle in with the new routine before DH changes jobs, one new thing at a time.

Then I got the iphone and it changed my whole world. In the notes I have a running list of things I need to get at the grocery store, things I need at Target, things I've ordered with the date and order number and when to expect them, etc. Then, on the calendar, a couple of days before the parties, I added, "got gifts for bday parties?" And I do this sort of double-check system for anything I think I might forget or misplace.

I will also say that when I had a regular routine, I scheduled in time for me to go to Target or the grocery store and do cleaning every week. Having a regular routine makes it much easier to keep up the cleaning and the shopping for the house while keeping all the other balls in the air. hth!

I have an iPod touch but both DH and I need to get better at syncing in and then USING the calendar. DH is worse than I am at this. I do think a regular routine will help and I've already worked out some good times to study etc. I know I can hit TJs after drop DS at school on Monday as there's one near by. It's just being disciplined to do what I need to do when I have the time...