PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a daisey scout project...please

blisstwins
01-30-2011, 02:41 AM
We have to run the meeting on my daughter's petal: "Make the world a better place." Does anyone have any ideas? We are in an urban area so "plant seeds" as suggested on the website does not really work.

August Mom
01-30-2011, 02:43 AM
How about having the girls bring in items to recycle and talk about that?

blisstwins
01-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Someone just did that for one of the other petals. I want to do something a little different, if possible.

jgenie
01-30-2011, 06:10 AM
What about bringing in food or pet shelter donations and talk about helping others?

blisstwins
01-30-2011, 09:51 AM
pet shelter donations
I love this idea and the recycling one too (too bad someone just did it), but our troop is full of kids who cannot afford the $3.00 dues so I don't think I can ask them to bring anything that costs money.
I am really dreading this presentation and I dislike the leaders so I feel pressure to do something good...

crl
01-30-2011, 10:14 AM
My son's class just decorated cut out paper doves with found materials and talked about peace. . . . .

Catherine

elephantmeg
01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
make cards for sick kids in the hospital or nursing home residents?

my favorite card from when DD was in the hospital was one that came from some kid I didn't know and was hand drawn and written. DD was on a bunch of prayer chains so I guess it came from someone that heard of it that way but it was just sweet that another kid cared.

cdlamis
01-30-2011, 10:20 AM
What about making a new-sew reusable sandwich wrap or decorating a cloth napkin?

cmo
01-30-2011, 10:28 AM
We made bird feeders in our Daisy troop. Use a pine cone as a base, smear it with peanut butter, then roll/sprinkle with bird seed. Holding the pine cone upside down, thread some yarn through the top layer of pine cone 'petals' (not sure what they're really called!) so it can be hung up later.

We were also going to pick up some trash in a local park with a creek, but it rained that day.

jenmcadams
01-30-2011, 10:50 AM
We went to a local food bank and helped sort food for that petal I think

bubbaray
01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
We made bird feeders in our Daisy troop. Use a pine cone as a base, smear it with peanut butter, then roll/sprinkle with bird seed. Holding the pine cone upside down, thread some yarn through the top layer of pine cone 'petals' (not sure what they're really called!) so it can be hung up later.

You can do this craft with honey to make it nut-safe.

Twoboos
01-30-2011, 11:53 AM
What about cleaning up a local park area, or playground at the school? Not sure where you are located and if that is feasible in the winter. (At the moment it would involve us shoveling 5 ft of snow, LOL!)

What about donating used books to the library? Our library sells them as a fundraiser. Helps purge at the house, too.

blisstwins
01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
These are all good ideas, though I don't think we can do anything outdoors. It is way too cold here. I think part of my problem is that I don't know or like this age group and don't know what they are capable of. Most are K so reading and writing can't really be the expectations. Makes it hard.

jgenie
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
What about making cards for soldiers?

ha98ed14
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
We just did the pb & birdseed craft in DD's 3-5 y.o.Mommy & Me class. The only difference was that we used toilet paper rolls, not pine cones. It was a hit with all of them. I think that would easily be doable by Ks. You could combine it with a good story book about birds.

squimp
01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I think our Daisy troop is going to plant flowers in pots or cups for their kitchen windowsills or front steps for that petal. Our troop is pretty low key - we haven't done any field trips or anything yet.

There's also a really good website for petal ideas.

http://www.scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/subpages/DaisyPetalIdeas.htm