PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your 8-9 month old's sleep/feed schedule

citymama
01-30-2011, 04:04 AM
Am I the only one with an 8.5 month old who wakes up a couple of times at night to nurse? Or who is trying to drop her second nap during the day? I would love to hear about your 8-9 month old's sleep schedule in particular, and solid feeding schedule (and what they're eating) would be great to hear about too. Thanks!

HannaAddict
01-30-2011, 06:04 AM
No, they wake up to nurse at that age. In my experience, that is totally normal and exhausting. (Must say for the good of the order, that of course it is normal if some lucky mom has a baby who naturally sleeps and doesn't wake up to nurse at this age.) You are sooo not alone. Baby number 3 for me is the first one to even sleep all night at eleven months without nursing. In general, I must add. If he's sick or teething, he will wake up sometimes and need to be nursed/comforted. My first woke up well into 15-18? months once a night to be nursed, most nights. But he was super easy and nursed, went right back to sleep in his crib. He was a great sleeper though and with no sleep training, no CIO or sleep guru gimmicks (meaning one of the hundred of people selling a book of how to make a baby sleep like an adult!), he is a great sleeper. For feeding, none of mine could care less at under 10 months for solids. They would happily play with oatmeal, eat a little, or avacado, etc. but not meals. My one year old just really got into solids at about ten or eleven months and eats much more than his siblings did. It is really all over the map, I just kept offering it and not worrying about it.

JTsMom
01-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Z is really high maintenence when it comes to sleep. He fights it, will only nap in arms, and seems tired a lot of the time. As long as I'm holding him, he'll stay asleep through me shopping, walking around, whatever. Put him down, and the party's over. LOL

At night, he does wake to nurse most nights, but we co-sleep, so I just fall right back to sleep, so I couldn't tell you how often it happens. I think it's only for a few mins though typically.

He's a huge solids eater. It seriously takes an hour to feed him b/c he just won't stop eating! DH says we're going to have to get a forklift and order a pallet of O's for him. He's eating solids twice a day, but I'm thinking of upping it to 3 times. I've held off b/c I'm worried he won't nurse enough, but I think it's time.

I've been giving him whole grain oatmeal cereal twice a day just b/c he looooves it, and it seems to help with his reflux. He eats a lot of it- probably a cup and a half, but I don't measure

it. I just mix it w/water b/c I can't pump that much. I add a little safflower oil to it so that he's getting some good fat. He also eats a fruit or veggie- maybe 1/4 c if it's a puree, more if it's finger food. He has eaten as much as a med. sized sweet potato. Then there's the O's. He insists upon eating them at every meal, and he eats an insane amount of them. He drinks some water at each meal as well. At dinner, I've been giving him a little meat. He likes ground beef crumbles, roasts, and little shreds of chicken.

We haven't done wheat yet.

MoJo
01-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Mine will be 8 months next week, so she's a few weeks younger than yours. She has been getting up twice per night to nurse consistently 'til this last week. She nurses longer then than any other feedings. She normally sleeps from 8 'til 6 (except two feedings, which are usually at least half an hour each) and takes three fairly short naps during the day, although one day last week she didn't nap 'til 3 and had a one nap day.

However, this week she suddenly decided she likes solids, swallowing instead of just playing with them. She's been eating 4 oz of fruits or veggies mixed with enough rice cereal or oatmeal to make it a good thick consistency (she won't eat her cereal otherwise, and the ped says she needs it) around 7 pm. Four nights out of seven (not consecutive, though), she slept through the night!

Now that she likes food, I'm experimenting with giving her other things earlier in the day, but she's my night owl and seems to prefer eating in the evening.

My first was the STTN consistently from 4 months model, so I had no idea how common the "issues" with Ha really are. But this is the second thread about it this week, so I'm glad to know none of us are alone in this!

artvandalay
01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm curious about this thread as well. My little one just turned 8 months. She's up to nurse 2 to 3x per night. She was up a ton last week but I think she was teething. Last night I fed her 3x. Two nights ago she was only up once to nurse:boogie: but that is atypical.

I give her bananas or other fruit for breakfast. She'll eat almost 1/2 of a small mashed up banana or an entire jar of fruit (Earth's Best Organic Stage 2 - 4oz). She rarely eats solid food for lunch... sometimes just a little mashed up avocado or if we're out a 1/2 jar of sweet potatoes, carrots or peas. For dinner I'll give her some pureed meat or veggie. She's hungriest for solids for breakfast and dinner. Sometimes I mix in a little cereal in with her fruit or vegetable. She nurses during the day about every 3 hours.

As far as napping goes, she seems to be doing good with that. She naps 2 to 3x per day.

First nap around 9am, she sleeps 2 hours. Second nap around 1:30pm, sleeps 1 hour or so, and last nap around 4:30, sleeps an hour.

She wakes up at 7am consistently and goes to bed around 7:30 or 8. I've tried to put her to bed earlier than that but she won't have it.

I always nurse her to sleep (for naps and bedtime) so when she wakes up in the middle of the night she doesn't know how to soothe herself back to sleep without nursing. I've picked up Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I've tried just sticking a paci in her mouth when she wakes up but I can't fool her.. she wants the boob

crl
01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Dd is almost 10 months and is formula fed. She dropped her last middle of the night bottle on her own about three weeks ago, but she pushed her wake up time earlier when she did that.

She gets up absurdly early--5am (I have tried moving bedtime but it doesn't change wake up time). Morning nap from about 9:30 to about 11:30. Afternoon nap from about 2:00 to about 3:30. Bedtime between 6:00 and 6:30. Once every couple of weeks she will take a three hour morning nap and then refuse her afternoon nap and be a whiny crying mess until I put her to bed at 5:45. I think I need to start waking her at the two hour mark on those days.

She has three 6 oz bottles between wake up and morning nap. I also try to feed her breakfast in there somewhere. I have found giving her lunch as soon as she wakes up from her morning nap seems to result in her really eating so I try to do that. Then she has one or two more bottles before afternoon nap. She usually has two to three bottles between afternoon nap and bed. She seldom gets dinner, because she goes to bed before we eat and because she usually rejects solids at that time of day.

As you know, they are all different though. DS got a middle of the night bottle until he was 18 months old and I took it away.

Hope that helps!
Catherine

melrose7
01-30-2011, 10:03 AM
DS is just over 10 months and is the only one I have nursed so I am contributing his nightly feelings to nursing. He has been waking 2 times a night to nurse but in the last week it has been once a night. A couple weeks ago I did CIO after feeding him once and it was a rough couple days but he is better about going right back to sleep now. He usually goes to bed between 7:30-8. wakes up around midnight to eat (then was waking up again around 4:00) and sleep til 8ish. We did baby led weaning with him so he has been loving food since 6 months. A month ago I would have told you he would eat everything he was given, peas, carrots, beans, potatoes, bananas, blueberries, prunes, apples, pears, cheese, noodles, toast, chicken. He eats whatever we are eating and has 3 meals a day. In the last month though he is getting picky and will only eat his favorites, if he sees those first, and has more fun playing with his food and his fork.I figure it's just a stage.

BabyBearsMom
01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
DD is 9.5 months old. We weaned her off of her night time feedings at about 5 months. At 6 months, I stopped BFing (supply issues) so now she is formula fed). Other than when she is teething, she sleeps through the night (goes down at 7, awake at 6...sometimes I can convince her to sleep until 7 on the weekend). At daycare she has dropped her morning nap and does one hour long nap in the early afternoon. On the weekends, DD still does two long naps (anywhere from 1 hour to 2.5 hours depending on how active she has been) one at about 9:30 and one at about 2:00.

When we weaned DD off her night feedings she started eating a lot more during the day to compensate. Currently she eats 3 full meals of solids and 2 solid snacks. She also does a 4 oz bottle when she wakes up, three 6 oz bottles throughout the day and a 4 oz bottle before bed. She doesn't love the bottle at the moment so it is a battle to get her to eat it.

AnnieW625
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
DD2 is 9 mos. old and this is her schedule:

6:30 to 7:30pm: bedtime
6:00 to 7:00 am: wake up time (8 oz. of formula)
9:00 to 10 or 10:30 am: morning nap (usually a small 4 oz. to 6. oz bottle when she wakes up)
12:00: lunch (4 to 6 oz. bottle before nap)
1:00 to 3:00 or 4:00 pm: afternoon nap (snack)
5:00 to 6:00 pm: dinner (4 to 8 oz. bottle before bed)

DD2 has only woken up twice at night ever since she was 2 months old (and I was still breast feeding), however this is likely to change soon because she is teething.

Food wise, DD2 drinks 3 to 4, 6 to 8 oz. bottles per day. She eats two solid meals (1 veggie, 1 fruit, or 1 yogurt) a day at home, plus one at daycare, plus a few little snack items like Mum Mum rice crackers, rice puffs, or cheerios. She also likes pieces of cut up cheese.

Pinky
01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
DD just turned 10 months but her schedule has been the same for the last month or so... I'll admit that we have been really lucky with the sleep thing, not quite sure how that happened.

Times are all approximate, but it's usually 3 bottles, 3 naps and 2 solid meals with some snacks (bananas, puffs, etc thrown in)

We BF'd until 6 months

6:00 wake up
6:30 9 oz bottle (formula)
8:00 nap #1
10:00 1/3 cup dry oatmeal plus 4 oz baby food or yogurt
12:00 9 oz bottle (formula)
12:30 nap #2
2:30 cereal, 4 oz baby food
4:00 nap #3
6:00 9 oz bottle
6:30 bedtime (sleeps through the night)