PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen redo -- where to start?

hillview
01-30-2011, 09:40 AM
DH and I are considering updating our kitchen. We like the layout but new cabinets, counter tops and some new appliances. We aren't going to do Ikea but we aren't going to do sub-zero either. Where do we start to get a sense of cost?

Thanks!
/hillary

crl
01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Check out the kitchen forums at the Gardenweb. (And reconsider on ikea--we used them in our last house which sold for around 3/4 of a million and got lots of positive feedback on the kitchen. They come with a 25 year warranty last time I checked. And they have high end hardware and awesome functionality at a great price point.)

You can price out cabinets, appliances, countertops and flooring pretty easily. The big variable, ime, is labor. Keeping the layout makes that somewhat easier. Our big surprise was when we ended up completely rewiring the kitchen because the last remodel in the 1970s had been done so weirdly that it was easier to go back to the box for everything. Electricians are expensive.

Catherine

LD92599
01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Take your dimensions and head to home depot or lowe's for ideas, ballpark costs, to look around, etc.

I also see the gardenweb forums mentioned here alot re: kitchen reno.

We had lowe's do a mock layout, bought cabinets from them and had our contractor do the install.

artvandalay
01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
We are replacing our kitchen cabinets and countertops as well. We are actually heading to Ikea today to look at kitchen cabinets. I've been doing some reading online and apparently they get pretty good reviews. I have no idea on cost but they have an online planner tool that we are going to use to figure it out.

kcimato
01-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Since you want to keep the layout, you could try the cabinet refacing. They put in new doors then reface the rest. A friend of mine had it done and it looks beautiful. Heard lots of good things about IKEA also. Yep head on over to the Garden web forums. Be able to post photos also.