PDA

View Full Version : For Fun: Introduce yourself......

newg
01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I know we've done various polls over the years about our location, ocupation, level of education, ect, ect, ......but I thought it would be fun if we did a new version for all the "new guys", and some of us "old guys", that may have missed them in the past..........

So, without giving away any personal details about yourself:

1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like)
2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other?
3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that?
4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?)
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself!

Anyother questions you want me to add, just let me know!

Have fun! :D

newg
01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like)

Okay, I'll go first.......:)

1. I live in the midwest....Ohio, to be more specific
2. We live in a suburb of a city, it takes us about 15-20 min. to reach the heart of the city.
3. I SAH, but I was a elementary school teacher and I taught tennis...both of which I'd like to start up again once the kiddos are a bit older.
4. I have two DDs, a DH and two greyhounds living in the house with me.
5. My family moved 8 times by the time I left for college.
I"ve been a type I diabetic for over 20yrs. now.

Mermanaid
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I'll play!

1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like) - i live in Texas. :)

2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other? We are in a northern suburb of DFW.

3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that? I am a consultant for HR firms.

4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?) Live with DH and two babes -- DD, 6 and DS, 3

5. What are two interesting facts about yourself! Hmmm ... when I was 8 I lived in Iraq for a year. And, my secret passion would be star in a broadway show but unfortunately I cannot carry a tune. LOL

Jacksmommy2b
01-30-2011, 03:31 PM

:hysterical:

1) Pennsylvania. In between coal country, farmville and the big city.

2) We're more country than burbs I guess. 5 minutes from farms and a Target :)

3) I SAH now, but was in R&D in Pharmaceuticals pre-kids.

4) Just DH, me and the littles in our house. We live close to family and get together so often there is always an auntie, uncle or grandparent hanging around.

5) :bag I write fan fiction And I'm rather popular in certain circles. I had two of my long time fans fly out here to meet me. It is a little crazy.

I have odd sensory issues. I can't stand the feel of things like velvet - it freaks me out.

cheri
01-30-2011, 03:37 PM
1. We live in Idaho
2. We live in a small city. It's really nice, small enough that it feels like a small town, but large enough that we have most everything we need (except a TJs, an Ikea....)
3. I'm a physician and co-owner of a small business making lactation cookies for nursing moms
4. It's just DH, the kids, and me
5. Although I'm really risk averse, I married a BASE jumper
I really want to buy a school bus and convert it to an RV :D

ha98ed14
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM
5) :bag I write fan fiction And I'm rather popular in certain circles. I had two of my long time fans fly out here to meet me. It is a little crazy.

Cool! I had to look that up. I hadn't even heard of it. So what is your "canon" universe?

mctlaw
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Well, I've been on this board for a long time, but mostly as a lurker, more recently as a somewhat sporadic poster. I recently posted a lengthy post about our moving plans but I've never really "introduced" myself.:waving4:

We are currently in a burb of Chicago, soon to be relocating to Atlanta.

Hopefully this won't be applicable too much longer, but we're in a suburb, but a burb with a walkable, city like feel. Hoping to find a similar area to live when we relocate.

Full time WOH attorney. Civil litigation. Hoping to at least cut down on work load once we relocate.

DH, DS (5 in March) & me & our 11 year old minpin dog.

1. I majored in fine arts (painting/drawing) in college, but couldn't find a decent job, spontaneously decided to try for LSAT/law school, and the rest is history.
2. On a related note, I am a pretty kicka$$ lawyer, but I don't feel it is my "calling," (probably related to number 1!)

crl
01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I live in San Francisco.
And that would be a city. :D
I'm a SAHM who used to practice law.
I live with DH and DS, age 7, and DD, nearly 10 months.
I hate oatmeal.
I have lived in Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Virginia, Missouri, and California, and four of those I have lived in at least two different times.

Catherine

LexyLou
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
5) :bag I write fan fiction And I'm rather popular in certain circles. I had two of my long time fans fly out here to meet me. It is a little crazy. .

What's fan fiction? Sounds cool.

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I'm in the suburbs. About 40 minutes outside of SF

I was a Software Revenue Recognition Manager prior to kids-an accounant who specializes in the software industry and helps with deal structuring.

I was a full time SAHM for 5 years. I am now work very PT as a fitness instructor, which I LOVE!
DH, DD 5, DD 3, Our dog, who's 11.
1) My father is 1st generation Italian-American and my mom is a Jewish girl from Brooklyn. So I'm 1/2 Italian raised 100% Jewish. My DH is Mexican American, went to Catholic school his entire life and my MIL used to be a nun. We are most definitely the United Nations in our house. :)

2) I have Multiple Sclerosis and was DX'd 6 months after DH and I got married and 4 months after we had moved away from our families for the first time.

lowrioh
01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
1) I live in Maryland about a mile from the DC line...although it is near the city the town I live in has great community feel to it.
2) It's a suburb but I can get to the Capitol Building in about 15 min.
3) I WOH for the federal government as a research chemist. I like my job but if I had the opportunity to SAH I probably would.
4) It's just me, DH and the girls right now but we often have family staying with us. DH is a SAHD which is great but also challenging.
5) I lived in Southern Africa for nearly 6 years during high school and college. It was during a pretty interesting time in history and it really effected my outlook things.

hillview
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
1. we live in New England area near Boston
2. suburb but was born and raised in Boston
3. I am a sales director for a software company. I work from home about 60% of the time and travel about 40% of the time
4. Me, DH (also travels about 50% of the time), DS1, DS2 and my parents live downstairs (we own a 2 family) -- my parents take care of the kids after school
5. Hummm .... not sure how interesting but I love to travel for fun (not so much for work) and I am considering redoing our kitchen this spring.
/hillary

mctlaw
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I live in San Francisco.
And that would be a city. :D
I'm a SAHM who used to practice law.
I live with DH and DS, age 7, and DD, nearly 10 months.
I hate oatmeal.
I have lived in Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Virginia, Missouri, and California, and four of those I have lived in at least two different times.

Catherine

Catherine, I knew I'd liked your posts for a reason...you sound a lot like me! ;) Since getting married, we've moved from SC to Atlanta, GA, to Chicago, IL, to Tampa, FL, back to Chicago, and about to be back to Atlanta! But, I love oatmeal and I'm still working as a lawyer. :D

trales
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM

1. New England
2. Small town
3. Adjunct Professor at a Community College
4. DH, DD and dogs
5. I have a secret fantasy to be a small gentlewoman farmer, I want to grow my own hops/ brew my own beer this spring

Melaine
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM

We live in the Deep South.
Suburbs I guess.
Didn't ever have a true career. I worked as a legal secretary, a nanny, sold fireworks, worked at a Bed & Breakfast, cashiered at Walmart, made smoothies, worked at a plant nursery. Although I am a SAHM, I am working part time from home as a copy writer for a local magazine. Being a writer is what I have always wanted to do.
DH, me, our four year old twin girls, and an obnoxious but adorable beagle
1) I broke a concrete brick with my bare hands.
2) I was homeschooled from K-12. When we began, it had not been legalized in our state and my family went to court to fight for the right to homeschool. We won.
Any other questions you want me to add, just let me know!

JBaxter
01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Maryland

Medium town neighborhood setting

Im now a SAHM of 4 boys. I worked as a dental hygienist for 17yrs and stopped working when I had Nathan.

DH, Me , Logan ( 19) Connor (16) Nathan (7) and Jackson (2) DH is stepdad to Logan and Connor but very much considers them his children they treat and respect him as a father.

Grew up on a farm and helped deliver ( pull) calves and was my job to "band" the little bulls w/ my dad. For those of you that dont know thats castrating them.
I'm very strong in my Christian/Conservative beliefs.

KLD313
01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
The Northeast. CT to be more exact, about 50 mins. outside of New York City.
2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other? Well, technically it's a city but it's really a suburb.
3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that? I SAH. I worked in the HVAC business for 15 yrs, I was the General Mgr and sole salesperson.
4. What is your family dynamic: Me, my BF, our 4 mo old baby girl and my three dogs.
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself! I'm aching to start my own business, have wanted to ever since I left my job 3 yrs ago. I'm a HUGE animal lover and want to live on a farm with animal.

alexmommy
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Sure!

1) Live in MD
2)suburbs, though we are close to plenty of shopping/culture/activities
3) now a SAHM, before that I taught Math, and English to high school students
4) me, DH, DS & baby girl due June 2011
5) interesting? I'm on bedrest at least for now (stupid short cervix); and I intend to homeschool my children when they are of age, oh, and I lived in Russia teaching English for two years (loved it!)

smiles33
01-30-2011, 05:11 PM

I want to play!

1. CA
2. Suburb
3. Lawyer but I direct a center at a law school.
4. DH, DDS & 9+ year old adopted terrier mix
5. When I was in high school, I got invited to represent my school at this conference where I met and took pictures with tons of celebrities (George Lucas, Donna Karan, Harrison Ford, Whoopi Goldberg, Judy Blume, Tom Clancy, Robert DeNiro, and Tom Selleck). It was super cool!

I eat like a 300 pound linebacker but am fortunate that my metabolism is still pretty good. Friends always joke about my hollow leg.

nicepersonfl
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Florida

Suburb

RN

Single Mom to an adorable child

I'm an asthmatic. I grow carnivorous plants & feed them flying insects...and I enjoy it!

Have fun! :D[/QUOTE]

Cam&Clay
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
1) Live in northern VA
2) Which is considered a suburb of DC
3) WOHM full-time, school librarian, which I love, but I hate my commute
4) Me, DH, DS1, DS2, and two crazy cats (DH is stepdad to DS1)
5) I live in northern VA but grew up in southeastern VA (Norfolk), which are two extremely different places. Hard to believe they are in the same state. I have read every Harry Potter book at least 10 times each and have devoured most of the analytical literature about HP out there.

fortato
01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I live in New Hampshire. It's a little town called Hooksett. I grew up in NH, and lived in Boston for a little while when I was 23.

We live in a suburb, my back yard buts up against a park called Bear Brook Park- so called because of the inhabitants... yes. Black Bears. We have had a few big black bears on our deck that have broken our feeders. I've seen bears, foxes, ducks, turkeys, hawks, bald eagles, turkey vultures, otters, blue herons, porcupines.... but no raccoons. I saw more raccoons in Boston than here.

I am a SAHM- before staying home, I was a teacher. I went to school to be a nurse with the intention of being a physical/occupational therapist- I started working in a preschool to make money to pay for school, and I loved it... I have since fallen out of love with working in preschools and would go back to OT in a heartbeat.

4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?
I have a DH, 2 DS's, a dog, dust bunnies, and a lot of tumble fur. If anyone ever finds a use for dog fur, let me know. I've got it. When I buy my own island, I will use dog fur as a currency.

I'm left handed. It's seems like it must be very rare because 90% of the time when people find out, they are shocked. Like I'm some mutant or something. (They also react that way when they find out I have green eyes)
I'm a cancer survivor. It's a long story, but I found out 5 years ago that I had thyroid cancer, and on Valentine's day it will be 6 years since having my RAI treatment to clear it.

smilequeen
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Midwest...St. Louis area

We are in a suburb

I am a dentist. I have flucuated btw working part time and SAH since DS1 was born. I'm on maternity leave now until at least late August. Contemplating not going back (DH not thrilled with that idea, apparently I'm too hard to replace ;))

Me, DH, DS1 (6), DS2 (3.5), DS3 due in less than 2 weeks, 2 10 year old pugs. Grandma and Grandpa live close by and are over a lot.

I watch sports more than my husband and am therefore probably responsible for DS1s sports obsession and yet, I'm a girly girly girl :)

arivecchi
01-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Chicago

City

WOHM - lawyer - first at a BigLaw firm and now am in-house

DH and 2 boys

I was born and raised in the Caribbean and have lived in several cities (San Juan, Boston, NYC, Miami, Paris, Milwaukee and Chicago.)

I am most definitely NOT a model, but I got to walk a catwalk in a fashion show in Paris while I was studying abroad. It was nerve-wracking!

westgre
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
1. We live in WV.
2. We live in a small city, which is not far from the capitol of WV.
3. WOH full time as a veterinarian.
4. DH, me, DD (8), DS (4), DS (2), five chihuahuas, a lab, 2 cats, a mouse, and three chinchillas.
5. I would love to go back and specialize in veterinary dermatology. I used to breed pet chinchillas, we had sixteen at one point.

jenmcadams
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Colorado, Front Range/Denver Area

Suburb

SAHM; have an MBA and have done consulting (big firm and independent) and start-up/technology marketing and business development

Myself, DH, DD (8), DS (5), 1 Husky, 1 Yellow Lab

I've done every distance of triathlon from Sprint to Ironman
I was born in the Azores

crl
01-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Catherine, I knew I'd liked your posts for a reason...you sound a lot like me! ;) Since getting married, we've moved from SC to Atlanta, GA, to Chicago, IL, to Tampa, FL, back to Chicago, and about to be back to Atlanta! :D

:wavey: Pinging back and forth is a little disorienting sometimes, isn't it?

5. I have a secret fantasy to be a small gentlewoman farmer, I want to grow my own hops/ brew my own beer this spring

Oh I secretly want to raise chickens out in the country. Except I'm pretty sure I'd actually hate it. Can't walk anywhere, can't go anywhere without finding someone to take care of the chickens. . . . .

5) I live in northern VA but grew up in southeastern VA (Norfolk), which are two extremely different places.

Hey, I lived in Hampton for three years as a kid and in NOVA for a total of 10 years as an adult (three separate times).

Catherine

Indianamom2
01-30-2011, 05:56 PM
1. What part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like)

I live in Northern Indiana. I'm a mid-Atlantic girl turned Hoosier.

Technically my address is a small city, but I live on the edges of the city limits in a very rural subdivision. I've lived somewhere rural like this my whole life. Not a city girl here! (But I like to live close to lots of things to do!)

I am a SAHM with no plans to change. Before that I briefly taught music (choir/general music) to K-12, but quickly realized that wasn't really what I wanted to do. I also taught piano lessons out of my home. My ideal job would be to accompany something/somebody on the piano (I've done a lot ot that in the past and am pretty good at it), but I don't see that happening any time soon.

In our house, I live with DH, DD(6.5) and Ds (18 months), plus a large German Shep/Lab/Hound dog mix that sheds like a beast, a cranky (except with me) old cat who's been asked not to come back to the vet, and another aging cat who refuses to use the litter pan properly. Anyone want three pets?

I once broke into an empty basement apartment in our complex when a tornado was passing by. I was newly married, not at all used to living somewhere that had tornados and we lived on the third floor. I was terrified, and knew that I should be in a basement somewhere, I knew that there was an empty basement apartment and, because I was young and freaked out, I used my credit card to pick the lock and holed up (with our two cats jammed in one carrier!) in the empty apartment until the tornado sirens stopped blaring. I'm not proud of that moment and never ever would have done that if someone lived there...but I was terrified. It wasn't my proudest moment when I had to admit that to DH!

I can remember the most random, trivial facts you can imagine (like the complete inability to forget that the Magna Carta was signed in 1215) but I cannot for the life of me, remember what time my doctor's appointment it tomorrow.

brgnmom
01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I know we've done various polls over the years about our location, ocupation, level of education, ect, ect, ......but I thought it would be fun if we did a new version for all the "new guys", and some of us "old guys", that may have missed them in the past..........

I live on the west coast - specifically southern CA. We'll be moving around 4 hours north during the summer.

suburb, right near the beach/coast.

SAHM. I worked right until the month before giving birth to my DS... on a leave from med school, but I finished my master's of science in health care policy in '06. I was also doing f/t temp work at deloitte & teaching high school students on a part-time basis.

my DH, DS, newborn DD, and I all live together.

I've been through 3 major moves w/ my DH in the past 5.5 years, and we'll be moving for a 4th time in a couple of months.

my Dad is retired from the u.s. military and he was one of the few Asian-Americans who served in the military here during the 60s.

DietCokeLover
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
The south, but it's getting awfully close to the midwest. I grew up in the deep south though.

I live in the middle of nowhere. A little resort town in the mountains with only 2000 people. It takes me an hour to get to anywhere!

I am a SAHM, but we live at our business, so I work some too. Before this, I was a Child and Family Therapist and ran a community mental health center's outpatient clinic.

It's DH, DD (4), DS (3), Francesca (cat #1 who is almost 16) and Gabriella (cat #2 who is almost 14.)

I can't stand rice - I don't want to be anywhere near it, and if I am dining out and my dinner comes to me with rice on my plate, I will send it back and ask for the whole thing to be recooked and plated without rice.

I chewed out a Hell's Angel who I caught peeing on my business property one night. Chewed him up and spit him out, then later freaked out thinking how he could have slit my throat in a heartbeat!

edurnemk
01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like): We currently live abroad (for the last year), before that TX and before that IL

2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other?: suburb.

I was a SAHM for a while, I WAH PT now, freelancing for the firm I used to work pre-DS. It's a consulting firm for pharmaceutical companies. I work on a project basis, not regular hours, so depending on the work load some weeks I work a lot, and some I'm almost 100% SAHM.

DH, DS and I. DH travels for work every week M-Th like 75% of the year.

When growing up, we were expats a few times, so I went to like 8 different schools by the time I graduated HS. I've lived in 7 different cities, and counting. I was born in Latin America, but my family is form Europe.
I used to play a lot of golf, and once seriously considered going pro at the insistence of my coach... I still wonder If I should've listened to him :rotflmao: Now I don't have much time for golf.

mommylamb
01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
1. NOVA, just outside DC
2. Burb, but I work in the city, so I spend a lot of time there.
3. WOHM. I'm the federal policy director for an association.
4. Me, DH and DS (3), and 2 sweet kitties
5. I've been sky diving, scuba diving, rock climbing, bungee jumping, and I've even played paintball in a rain forest. Paintball was by far my least favorite of those things, and I was the only one on either team who came out of the forest without leaches on my body.
DH is a greencard holder (for now, though hopefully not for much longer), and when he came to the U.S. to marry me and live here for good, it was his first time ever being in this country.

SkyrMommy
01-30-2011, 07:12 PM
1. Northern NY, in the mountains closer to Montreal than NYC
2. Small city suburb
3. SAHM & artist, a former teacher.
4. DH, myself, DD & our dog.
5. I am happiest outdoors. I am an amazing gardener - outside... indoors plants never last!

LarsMal
01-30-2011, 07:23 PM

1) Northern VA

2) Technically still a suburb of DC, but pushing it. I feel like we live in the country!

3) SAH- teacher pre-kids

4) DH, the kids, and me. Our doggie lives with the grandparents now.

5) I once tried to move to the West Coast, but was back on the East Coast before the moving truck made it. I was a dancer (mostly ballet) for 15 years and I really miss it!

AnnieW625
01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Long Beach, CA; about 8 miles inland from the beach
I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles in one of the original post WWII tract home communities in the USA.
WOH for the state govt., and I specialize in insurance
DH, and DDs, ages 4/1/2, and 9 mos., 8 yr. old black lab
I have never once dyed my hair
I have always lived in California

MelissaTC
01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
1) North Carolina
2) southwest suburb of Raleigh
3) I consider myself a SAHM but work pt right now.
4) DH, DS and I as well as two old dogs and a lot of dust bunnies all live together.
5) When I was a kid, my family was in a commercial on Spanish tv.
DH and I met in 1989- my first day of high school. Little did I know then!

liamsmom
01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
1) I live in upstate NY
2) a suburb outside of a small city
3) I'm a part-time library and information science grad student and work on an irregular basis. So, depending on the day of the week, I'm a WAHM/WOHM/SAHM. I'll be graduating (hopefully :praying:) in December and will be looking for a library position.
4) It's me, DH, DS and our 13-year-old boxer.
5) I ended up living just outside my home town after living on the West coast and then Austria for a total of 8 years. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Wars and I'm *this* close to finally watching Star Trek and becoming a complete geek.

llama8
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
1. I live on Long Island in New York
2. I live in a suburb
3. I am a high school teacher
4. DH, DD and our cat
5. I love to travel and the most exotic location I have ever been to was India
I love to read. Te last book series I read that I loved was the Hunger Games Trilogy

newg
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=crl;3021681I have lived in Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Virginia, Missouri, and California, and four of those I have lived in at least two different times.

Catherine[/QUOTE]

LOL, it's nice to see I'm not the only one who could have one of those punch cards with a moving company (move ten times, get the next move free!) :rotflmao:

DH grew up in the same house he was born in, and his parents still live in that house......while I have lived in Ohio (three times), Michigan (twice), Mississippi, Minnesota and Masschusetts.

larig
01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
This is such a great idea, OP! And, you BBBers are such interesting people!

1. live in Seattle for now, but are thinking of moving to be closer to our families (in IL & TN).

2. we live in a great neighborhood that is very walkable and feels like its own small town.

3. I SAH with DS, but DH telecommutes, so we are home all day together (with DH working). I am finishing my never-ending dissertation. Before starting on my PhD I taught H.S. math for 10 years.

4. DH, DS (2.5), and one dog who thinks he's the boss.

5. I have a large collection of vintage swatch watches, but my pride and joy is our chocolate brown 1978 VW westfalia camper (w/ 60,000 miles)

lalasmama
01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
1- I live near Portland, OR.

2- I live in a wonderful, small town. It's often seen as a "suburb" of Portland, but it's it's own town.

3- I WOH as a medical-office meanie. I'm the person who your kids look at and scream "That's the shot lady!" Also in school working (slowly) towards my masters.

4- In my house full-time are me and DD. Part time is DNeice. SO and his 2 kids live right up the street. We're always at one house or the other, so, while we don't live together, we are rarely apart.

5- (a) I had a failed adoption 5 years ago... with the same child who ended up becoming my DD 3.5 years ago :)

(b) I FINALLY finished paying my car off this month! :yay: Okay, not interesting, but exciting!

mom2one
01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
1. live in Southern CA
2. live in a great location about an hour north of L.A. and 5 miles from the ocean!
3. I am a SAHM. In my former life, I taught Kindergarten, a new employee trainer for over 45 stores on the east coast, container store employee, and was assistant to the director of Childrens Ministrys at our church.
4. DH and DS. We are claiming the two bunnies that live in the backyard as our pets.
5. DH and I met the day after a major hurricane and got married two years to the day we met. I love Making of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and if I was 20 years younger, I would be trying out.

erosenst
01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
1. Live in Indiana now. Have also lived in MN, IL, OH, and MO. Despite that, many people think I'm from the East Coast.

2.Live in a rather large, 'first ring' suburb. Slight trivia is that we live within a mile of two other counties.

3.WOH - I work for Amazon.com. There are two large fulfillment centers here. My orders still have to be delivered. (Prime, of course.)

4.DH, DD (7), and two 13 year old bichon/poodle males that came with the marriage.

5.I used to work in a corner office of the 86th floor of the Sears Tower, with great views of the city and the lake. I've known DH since he was 4 and I was 7. It took 35 more years for us to be married.

bnme
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
1. Long Island, NY
2. suburb
3. I have been a SAHM for almost 8yrs (since my oldest was 9 months). I worked as a financial analyst before that (mostly in-house corporate stuff, not investments). I am now looking to go back to work but I have not had much luck :(
4. I have 2 boys, plus DH & a 10yo yellow lab
5. I went to FIT (Fashion Inst of Technology) for 3 semesters but you would never guess that by my current/recent wardrobe! I worked at McDonald's during highschool.

Melbel
01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Interesting backgrounds!

1. Florida
2. Suburb - 10 minutes to downtown or the beach
3. Current SAHM. Previously worked as a financial analyst then practiced law for 12 years, specializing in litigation, primarily employment (4 years mid-size, 8 years BigLaw)
4. Me, DH, DS (11), DD1 (9) and DD2 (2) ETA: how could I forget our 14 year old crazy rescue cat?
5. In high school and in college (back when I had more energy), I worked many jobs, often several at a time, including waiting tables (one job at a tourist attraction required us do a western clog dance during our wait shift), aerobics instructor, modelling, demonstrating food, working at a law firm, etc. I have always been uber independent and never pictured myself as a SAHM (not that there is anything wrong with it ;)). Unfortunately, I injured my back and am now considered "disabled" because I can only sit/stand for short time periods. I miss my former activities/sports/career but I am still hoping to reinvent myself some how, some way. :)

hannah
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
1. Colorado (Denver area)
2. suburb
3. Current SAHM. Before DD was born I worked as a project manager at a hospital where we ran clinical trials for patients with ALS.
4. Me, DH, DD (6), DS (4), and 2 black cats (Guinness & Murphy)
5. I had never stepped foot in CO prior to moving here (DH got a job and we packed up our stuff and moved. DH had worked as a consultant in Denver before I met him). I met DH on a blind date.

liz
01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
1. New England

2. Suburbs - but we are surrounded by trees/nature so it feels very secluded

3. RN

4. DH, DS1, DS2,DS3 and my mom (in her own in-law)

5. I remember telling people I wanted to be a nurse since I was 4 years old.
I grew up in a bi-lingual household but can barely converse in my parents native language (something I plan to improve upon in the future).

VClute
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
1. Fayetteville, North Carolina
2. midsize town with the largest Army base in the US! Hooah!
3. SAHM, VERY part time registered nurse.
4. Me, DH, DS, DD in our house that we bought because my parents live a mile down the road.
5. a) When I was (MUCH!) younger, I was way involved with cheerleading. I travelled all over the US judging cheerleading competitions and training other judges. I was even published in American Cheerleader Magazine. b) When we were stationed in Germany, a drunk local broke into our house. My sister and I had to testify in a German court with a translator. My sister STILL makes fun of me for going on and on about small details while the poor translator tried to keep up.

tylersmama
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
1) Denver
2) In the city! Never pictured myself as a city person, but I love where I live.
3) I'm in nursing school FT. Before starting school, I was a SAHM, and before DS was born, I worked as a certified athletic trainer in a high school (and sometimes in PT clinics).
4) Me, DS, and a 6 year old very neurotic mini labradoodle.
5) I was the first ever 3x Williams County (Ohio) spelling bee champion. I canNOT stand misspellings...textspellings (u, 2, r, etc.) drive me NUTS. :p
I was a complete couch potato until my XH left me. Since then, I've completed tons of shorter distance triathlons and running races, two marathons, and two half-ironmans. (Take that, sucka! ;))

cheri
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
textspellings (u, 2, r, etc.) drive me NUTS.

:yeahthat:

Carrots
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Massachusetts

I live in a suburb of Boston - 14 miles outside.

SAH Mom - I worked for an investment firm in Boston before SAT and before that I was a 4th grade teacher.

I live with DH, DD A, DD K and our sweet dog.

I used to sail when I was younger. I miss it and would love to get back into it someday when I have time for a small boat. I would love to take up kayaking. I love mid-century homes and all the character that comes with them. We live in a home built in 1947 and have the original kitchen, bathroom. We also have a living room and dining room covered in knotty pine. I love the "retro/modern" look. My favorite blog is retrorenovations.com .

newg
01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I worked as a certified athletic trainer in a high school (and sometimes in PT clinics).

I was the first ever 3x Williams County (Ohio) spelling bee champion. I canNOT stand misspellings...textspellings (u, 2, r, etc.) drive me NUTS.

Cool! I was trying to decide betwen AT and being a teacher for my major in college. I went with teaching, mostly because I couldn't juggle playing tennis and the hours I needed to log for athletic training.

I will appologize now for any past, and any future misspellings I have, because I am a horrible speller :)....and it gets worse the more tired I get!

army_mom
01-30-2011, 11:17 PM

1. We currently live in southern Alabama (very near where the show Bama Belles is filmed, although I have yet to watch it). But I have lived in OK, WI, NC, TX, back to NC, Germany, back to NC, AL, TX, and finally back to AL where we are now!

2. We live in "other." Not quite country but over an hour from any major city.

3. WOH, in the Army as a helicopter pilot

4. It is just me, DH, and DD now. We used to have a weiner dog but when we deployed his caretakers fell in love with him so we let them keep him :(

5. I dream of being able to "flip that house" but I have ZERO interior decorating/color matching skill! I want to open a doggie daycare when we retire out of the Army and stay in one place for more than 2 years :)

Kira's Mommy
01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
1. Toronto, Canada

2. City

3. SAHM for 4 more weeks, a tax lawyer for a Biglaw firm after.

4. Just DH, DD and I.

5. I was born and raised in Eastern Europe. I could not speak a word of English till I was 20.

My (male) friend and I once hitchhiked 3000 miles through Europe.

longtallsally05
01-30-2011, 11:38 PM
1. I live near Atlanta

2. in a suburb.

3. I'm a SAHM; before that I was an RN.

4. I live with DH (when he's not deployed), DD and DS.

5. My favorite thing to do is ballroom dance

and

I have lived in three foreign countries in the last 14 years.

I've never done this before; it's fun!

ohsara430
01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
It's great to read everyone's responses. I've been a lurker for a long time and only recently started posting.

1. IL
2. I :heartbeat: suburbia
3. Currently I'm a SAHM. I may go back to work as an attorney. We recently relocated for DH's job so I have to get my license before I can work here.
4. Me, DH, & DD
5. I love little kid crafts and long ago traveled to Japan as part of a choir.

GvilleGirl
01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Greenville, SC

suburb, but it only takes me 10 minutes to be downtown. Sure beats my old commute times in Chicago!

SAHM. In my previous life I was a elmentary teacher. Prior to that I did marketing for an accounting firm. Kind of wishing I could find something part time.

My DH, DD (21m), DS (2m), and our black lab

I've trained at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. There is a 20 year gap between me and my younger brother.

Rarick0
01-31-2011, 12:48 AM
1. Kentucky
2. Country, about 20 minutes outside Frankfort
3. I WOH fulltime as a microbiologist in public health for state govt
4. My DH, 4 yr old DS, 5 mo old DS, a border collie and a golden retriever
5. We raise sheep on our small farm (DH is also a fulltime teacher) but neither of us were raised on a farm. We met when both of us were showing sheep as teens.

bigpassport
01-31-2011, 01:27 AM
1. Nevada
2. Suburbs
3. Work PT as a probate and estate planning attorney.
4. DH, DS (20 mos) and me. Hoping to adopt a DC#2.
5. Hiked the Grand Canyon from the south Rim to the North Rim in one day
--and--I love, love, love traveling and have been to 28 (I think) countries.

tylersmama
01-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Cool! I was trying to decide betwen AT and being a teacher for my major in college. I went with teaching, mostly because I couldn't juggle playing tennis and the hours I needed to log for athletic training.

I will appologize now for any past, and any future misspellings I have, because I am a horrible speller :)....and it gets worse the more tired I get!
I actually thought long and hard about trying to walk on to the softball team, but knew that it would never work with being a student trainer. I liked athletic training (and still do some coverage here and there), but it was never going to work with being a single mom...either financially or logistically!

And for the most part, I can cut people some slack and ignore message board misspellings. ;) It's the texting stuff that kills me! I can't even text in textspeak, LOL. I may be one of the few people on the planet that spells out pretty much every word in a text!

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-31-2011, 01:53 AM

1. Silicon Valley (SF Bay area)
2. urban suburb? Close to downtown, our neighborhood does have it's own small downtown
3. WOH, electrical engineer
4. me, DH, older DS (6), younger DS (2-3/4)
5. Hmmm, interesting, that's tough!
Won a national championship in water polo ... in England, and it was the lower level (plate vs. cup), but still!
Decided to apply to a certain grad school (UC Berkeley) just a day or two before the application was due and had to overnight the application & reccomendations and ended up coming out here and never leaving! :)

MontrealMum
01-31-2011, 02:10 AM
1. What part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like)
I live in Montreal, QC
In the city
I WAH doing contract research in the fields of History and Information Science.
Me, DH, DS and that's it :)
As you can guess by my field(s), I am very good at finding information...so that's probably not all that interesting or surprising.
I'm drawing a blank on interesting...hmm, I moved to Canada to do my first MA degree, and fell in love...DS was born 15 years later. I never would have thought that I'd be responsible for teaching my DS about his French roots which were forgotten many generations past along with the language, but there you go. I married an Anglo. :D Oh, I'm also lefthanded.

Any other questions you want me to add, just let me know!

elephantmeg
01-31-2011, 02:37 AM
shenadoah valley VA
town, small city
Nursing coordinator, before that I was a peds nurse
us, a sheba inu mix mutt dog. We lost our beagle dog in Nov :(
-I was born in Kanaga, Zaire (republic of the congo) and lived there til I was 11-we were evacauted in '91
-I've also lived in Jamaica and France and travelled through England/Scotland/Whales/Switzerland. DH had never been past NoVA on one side, W.VA on the other and the outerbanks... We live next door to where he grew up, lol! I'm still not sure how we ended up together but I can't live without him!

niccig
01-31-2011, 03:58 AM
1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like) Southern California
2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other? suburb outside of LA
3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that? Librarian, SAH until DS was 5, Part-time WAH on projects for previous employer, and now part-time student to get pre-reqs to apply for MS to be a SLP. I might stop the WAH work next semester.
4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?) DH, DS, and the dog.
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself! I am Australian, but no longer sound Australian. Most people ask if I'm from Boston. :shrug:
I can close my eyes and remember text on a page, and then answer a question on an exam. It's not a photographic memory as I have to look at the page several times, so when I study I read my notes over and over again and I can prompt my memory by visualizing the page. Really helps with exams, but doesn't help me remember what DH told me 5 minutes ago. For some reason, it really annoys DH that I have great recall, but only for some things. We're hoping DS gets my academic memory and DH's creative problem solving skills, I'm hopeless at coming up with a creative solution.

liz
01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself! I am Australian, but no longer sound Australian. Most people ask if I'm from Boston. :shrug:

Maybe it's because you drop your "R's" when you speak? LOL, I would be kind of annoyed because an Australian accent is much nicer than a Boston
accent. FWIW, I am a New Englander (or should I say "New Englandah" :)).

mezzona
01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
hi everyone, i'm one of those that never did a formal intro so here it is!

1. what part of the country to you live in: bay area
2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other? suburb... we dont really have a downtown.
3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that? SAH. i used to be an exec assistant.
4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?) me, dh, dd1, dd2.
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself! trained as a spinto soprano. if i could do things over again, i'd be an opera singer. too late for me now. when i was a kid, i was super flexible. i wanted to be a contortionist for the cirque du soliel.

WolfpackMom
01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Triangle Area NC

Suburb of Raleigh but nearly the country..

WAH. I work in AR doing both billing and project coordinating. Despite math being my worst subject for as long as I can remember, I bill millions of dollars to major corporations every month.

Myself, DH, DS, and our fat cat.

I lived in over 20 houses/apartments by the time I was 22 and moved back to the triangle - and Ive lived in 4 more places since then, but I wasn't an army brat.
I cut off 8" of hair yesterday and am mad because I could of donated it if I had gone 2 more inches but the stylist said I would have had to have clippers and a pixie cut---yet with 8 inches off I can still put my hair in a pony tail and its mid neck. I think I could have gone 2 more inches. :/

weech
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Maryland

Suburb of DC

WOH full-time as a library software analyst (although I WAH one day a week).

Me, DH, DS (10 months) and two mini schnauzers

I have weird sensory issues. I hate being partially wet, having anything sticky/grainy/weird feeling on my hands, some loud noises, etc.
I went to Africa (Namibia) for 4 weeks in college and loved it. I want to go back (and do more adventure traveling) but DH is scared.

pinkmomagain
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
1) Long Island, NY
2) Suburb of NYC
3) SAHM for almost 12 years. Prior to that, I was in Marketing (I have my MBA).
4) DH, 3 daughters, 1 small doggie
5) My only sibbling is my sister and we got married the same weekend so that our relatives did not have to fly into town 2x in one year.
I was in the running to be one of the Publlisher's Clearing House people who come in with balloons and the big check you see on commercials. I interviewed with the two guys you see in the commercials (older guy with white hair, younger guy with dark hair).

maydaymommy
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM

1. Northeast, but I really miss Chicago - where we lived for about 5 years after dh went to business school there, and Houston - where I grew up.
2. Northwest suburb of Philadelphia
3. SAH - Formerly I was a teacher, before that an actor and writer, before that a restaurant developer/trainer
4. It's me, dh, ds1, ds2, and our fluffy dog
5. (a) I have trained and performed at Second City
(b) I was an Ivy League drop out

larig
01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
1. Northeast, but I really miss Chicago - where we lived for about 5 years after dh went to business school there, and Houston - where I grew up.
2. Northwest suburb of Philadelphia
3. SAH - Formerly I was a teacher, before that an actor and writer, before that a restaurant developer/trainer
4. It's me, dh, ds1, ds2, and our fluffy dog
5. (a) I have trained and performed at Second City
(b) I was an Ivy League drop out

Second City!! In Chicago?! Cool!!!! :bowdown:

zag95
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
1. I live in Portland, Oregon (actually Milwaukie, Oregon a suburb of Portland, but my address is listed as Portland- go figure!!)
2. I live in the suburbs.
3. I am a HS Social Studies teacher by training, currently doing Home Instruction for a local school district. I tutor kids who are needing alt placements (pending expulsions, suspensions, medical or anxiety issues)- this work (about 8-10 hrs/wk) allows me to be home with DD.
4. It is DH, DD and our 10_ yr old cocker spaniel, Frecks.
5. I am a native Oregonian- born and raised here! By the time I was 16, I had traveled to 8 different countries (some of which were just across the border). In my old life, I used to do healthcare recruiting, prior to getting my MEd.

Swallowbird23
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Virginia

Suburbs of Washington DC

~I'm an RN - work as nurse in an elementary school.

~Right now it's just me, DH, and my younger brother has been with us since last month and will be until June. Hope to add a little one very soon! (TTC again after losing our first pregnancy a few months ago. I stick around these boards though because it gives me hope)

~I got a BA in political science and worked for the federal government before I went back to school to get my BS in nursing to become an RN

~After getting two degrees and having two jobs/potential careers, I still want to do something else. I'd be happy to work with payroll or in some financial/mortgage related field but feel like I am stuck where I am now.

katydid1971
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
1. what part of the country to you live in (you can get as detailed as you like)---Pacific Northwest
2. do you live in a city/suburb/country......other?---Suburban I guess
3. If you WAH/WOH, what do you do....if you SAH, what did you do before that?---SAHM, I was a teacher and plan to go back to teach once DD is in school.
4. What is your family dynamic (ie: who lives in the house with you?)---DH, DS, DD, and me. No pets, no family close by
5. What are two interesting facts about yourself!--when I was a little girl I use to trick or treat at Evel Knievel's house. :cool:

LMPC
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
1. I live near Raleigh, NC.
2. Not actually in the city but in the watershed where everything is a 15 minute drive...although the 3 year plan is to more closer to civilization (read: being able to walk to parks and to get a coffee!).
3. I work two days a week outside the home at a private practice. I am a psychologist.
4. Me, DH, and DD. No pets....unless you count the deer in our yard! And technically, I do feed them since they eat all my plants LOL!
5. Two interesting facts...hmmm....I tell people I am not a good cook, but actually I am not too bad. DH says I do this so that people's expectations of me aren't too high...*he* should have been the psychologist. And I have very good eyesight...20/15 maybe. When I am driving, I can see caterpillars crossing the road. No kidding...it freaks DH out. Once on a small country road, I actually stopped so that we could get out...just so I could show him! Now he believes me!

WolfpackMom
01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
1. I live near Raleigh, NC.
2. Not actually in the city but in the watershed where everything is a 15 minute drive...although the 3 year plan is to more closer to civilization (read: being able to walk to parks and to get a coffee!).
3. I work two days a week outside the home at a private practice. I am a psychologist.
4. Me, DH, and DD. No pets....unless you count the deer in our yard! And technically, I do feed them since they eat all my plants LOL!
5. Two interesting facts...hmmm....I tell people I am not a good cook, but actually I am not too bad. DH says I do this so that people's expectations of me aren't too high...*he* should have been the psychologist. And I have very good eyesight...20/15 maybe. When I am driving, I can see caterpillars crossing the road. No kidding...it freaks DH out. Once on a small country road, I actually stopped so that we could get out...just so I could show him! Now he believes me!

Are you my neighbor? Your description fits my neighborhood! :rotflmao:

katydid1971
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
And I have very good eyesight...20/15 maybe. When I am driving, I can see caterpillars crossing the road. No kidding...it freaks DH out. Once on a small country road, I actually stopped so that we could get out...just so I could show him! Now he believes me!
My mom is like this still. When I was a kid and we would be driving along my mom would say "look at the mountain goat" and we would pull over pull out the binoculars and sure enough there would be a mountain goat right where she said. She loves birds and it drives me nuts because she will be say "do you see that Heron" and I'm looking everywhere but can't see it.

newg
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
And I have very good eyesight...20/15 maybe. When I am driving, I can see caterpillars crossing the road. No kidding...it freaks DH out. Once on a small country road, I actually stopped so that we could get out...just so I could show him! Now he believes me!

that is so cool!

LMPC
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Are you my neighbor? Your description fits my neighborhood! :rotflmao:

I WISH we were neighbors! Alas, I live north of Raleigh.

BabbyO
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM

1. Wisconsin...SE
2. Suburb. Take about an hour to get to either of the two largest cities near me.
3. WOH. Civil Engineer.
4. DH, DS, and #2 in Sept. We're planning on letting #2 move in with us, anyway! :)
5. (a) I've run 2 marathons, and walked/ran 2 half marathons. I was 7 mo pregnant when I did my first 1/2 marathon. I want to do another one in May!
(b) I can't do random even if I try. Random painting, drawing, putting up decorations. They always end up symmetrical or equidistant. My DH thinks this is hysterical!

KHF
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I live in northern Kentucky, just outside of Cincinnati

Suburb

Work outside the home as a systems engineer for an investment firm in Cincinnati

Just me, my DH and our 2 kids (and 2 cats)

I have a rare variation of the eye disease, retinitis pigmentosa. It almost always causes total blindness eventually, but I only have it in one eye. It took almost 6 months of seeing various specialists to get the dx because they hadn't ever seen a case of it in just one eye.

Also, I used to be an off-ice official for a local AHL hockey team. I mostly did the plus/minus stats.

oneontheway
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Philly burbs
suburbs
WOH 3 days a week for an investment company
DH, DS1, DD, DS2, DSS (stepson) and a toy poodle
I'd live in Austin forever if it was on the East coast (go Horns)!
I went from owning the most beloved rottweiler (who passed but will always be my forever dog) to a toy poodle,lol.

jbbhb
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
1. I live in Orange County, California
2. I love suburbia :) Driving to LA gives me hives ;)
3. I am a Pediatric Nurse, I work two 12 hour shifts per week.
4. Our family consists of me, my husband, my son, and a now depressed cat
5. I can't stand made up words like "three-peat", "staycation", etc... unless I make them up myself. Yes, I realize this makes no since :ROTFLMAO:

ZeeBaby
01-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I live in So. Jersey, just outside Philly

I am about 20 mins from Philly, so we are considered a suburb of Philly, though I rarely go into the city. I live across the street from Target and that has created an addiction!!!

WOH, I'm an attorney. I went from non-profit to government. Looking to make the move to a federal government job soon.

DH, DD1, DD2 and SD, who is 20 and has lived with me since she was 8.

I speak French and read most of the romance languages or at least decipher enough to understand the gist of the sentence.
I want to run/walk 1/2 marathon in October, but I have a bum knee so we shall see. I lost 30lbs in 2001.

tribe pride
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
1. I live in the Southeast.
2. I live downtown in a small city. It feels somewhat urban, but also somewhat suburban, as we need a car to get just about everywhere we need to go (our neighborhood isn't very walkable).
3. SAH full time. Before kids, I was an assistant youth director at a church.
4. DH, 2 boys, me.
5. I grew up on a farm.
I dressed up in 18th century costume and waited tables at one of the taverns in Colonial Williamsburg during college.

newg
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
5. I can't stand made up words like "three-peat", "staycation", etc... unless I make them up myself. Yes, I realize this makes no since :ROTFLMAO:

LOL, my friends and I just decided we all need to go on a "sleepcation" together and leave the kiddos home with the DHs.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

...It's the texting stuff that kills me! I can't even text in textspeak, LOL. I may be one of the few people on the planet that spells out pretty much every word in a text!

:yeahthat:

My sister says that she knows she's getting a text from me because every word has been typed out the long way and it's been properly punctuated. (This is a key reason why I insist on a QWERTY keypad in cell phones I consider!)

Staraglimmer
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
1. What part of the country to you live in?
New Orleans, LA

2. Do you live in a city/suburb/country......other?
suburb

I'm a SAHM, before that I was a third-grade teacher :)

It is just me, DH, DD, our cat, goldfish, and 2 swimming frogs :)

Hmm. I'm not very interesting. I love crafts. I really miss teaching, I think I was a better teacher than SAHM. I lived in Alaska with DH for a couple of years after hurricane Katrina.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM

New Jersey

Suburb

I work F/T as a markup/layout person for a legal publishing company, as I have for 8 of the last 10 years. Two of those years were spent as an Editor. I'd prefer to get back to the editing part because the work I do now is mind-numbingly boring.

I live with DH & DD. We have no pets for a number of reasons, not the least of which is a lack of a decent-sized yard for a dog and my FIL's cat allergy. (And don't suggest anything that lives in a cage or a tank. I refuse to get a pet that requires a cage or a tank.)

* I love dinosaurs and have since I was 3 years old, but finding out that paleontology feels that birds & theropod dinosaurs share a common ancestor almost broke my heart because ... I am terrified of birds.

* I have never lived anywhere but New Jersey and am reluctant to leave the Garden State because I love it so (in spite of its flaws.)