PDA

View Full Version : DS is a LOUD talker, can you help?

KrisM
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
He has always talked very loudly. We've tried so much to get him to not talk at a scream volume. Any ideas that we may have missed?

ha98ed14
01-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you had his hearing tested? I talk loudly also. I pretty much always have. I had my hearing tested twice as an adult to make sure there was nothing wrong with my hearing. Nope! I'm just loud. Does he have a big personality too? They kind of go hand 'n hand IME. :D

KrisM
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
His hearing has been tested yearly at school, but not more than that.

He is not a big personality. Fairly average, I'd say. Behaives and listens well at school, but a bit slow on making friends. Not really shy, just not into the same things, I think.

Tondi G
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
My DS1 was a very loud talker and just now at age 9 seems to be learning how to control his volume a bit. we had his hearing tested too ... no issues there. He is a big boy with a big voice. His 4th grade teacher loves it when he gives oral reports or speaks in front of the class and is always suggest his classmates try to project their voices like DS does!

KrisM
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
My DS1 was a very loud talker and just now at age 9 seems to be learning how to control his volume a bit. we had his hearing tested too ... no issues there. He is a big boy with a big voice. His 4th grade teacher loves it when he gives oral reports or speaks in front of the class and is always suggest his classmates try to project their voices like DS does!

Gives me hope! He can talk quietly when reminded, but forgets immediately. I know in 3rd grade the kids start running the assemblies at school, so maybe he'll get a chance to do that!

LexyLou
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Are you or your DH a loud talker?

My DD1 is SUCH a loud talker. Her teacher said to me, "Every year I have a kid who talks so loudly I have to step back..." Ya, that's my kid.

I asked our ped and he said some kids are just loud talkers. To her defense my DH and I are both very animated people and talk pretty loud ourselves.

We just remind her that we are right here and she doesn't have to yell and to use her inside voice. Doesn't work all that often since she's not even aware of how loud she is, but at least we try.

MMEand1
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
My DD is a LOUD talker! SHe also have a VERY BIG personality! We have tried to help her remember her "inside voice", but it does not help. Good luck!

egoldber
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Both of my kids are loud talkers. DH is also.

It is an issue for older DD at school now. It becomes a social norm issue as they get older.

Indianamom2
01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Got a loud talker here too...DD...and the rest of us are really quiet.

DD has a big personality and no hearing troubles (she's been tested several times).

No suggestions, just comisseration!

mezzona
01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
DD1 is loud too. From birth. Everyone in the birthing room said WOAH she's loud when she screamed. I thought all babies were that loud but no. She's just got a big voice. I'm loud too, DH normal. When she is especially loud, I start whispering and she just copies me.

Gena
01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
We have been working with DS to control his volume for a while. We use "The Incredible 5 Point Scale" for this. DS helped me set up his scale. Each level describes a volume level and gives examples of the appropriate setting. His voice scale is set up like this:

5 - Screaming: Emergencies Only
4 - Loud Voice: Playground, Recess
3 - Normal Voice: Home, Store
2 - Whisper: Library, Church
1 - No Talking: Quiet Time, Someone Else Is Talking

When DS gets too loud, we remind him, "Use your Number 3 voice." Or we say, "What voice are you using? What voice should you be using?" Gradually DS is learning to pay attention to his volume and regulate it. We're still working on it, but he is getting better.

We have lots of copies of the voice scale. There are big copies on the walls at home. DH and I carry wallet sized copies. The teachers have copies at school and aftercare (daycare) has a copy in his classroom there. This way we are all consistent in using the same system.

The 5 point scale system was originally developed for kids with ASD, ADHD, Anxiety, and other issues. But some parents of typical kids find it helpful too.

http://www.5pointscale.com/

MamaKath
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
We have been working with DS to control his volume for a while. We use "The Incredible 5 Point Scale" for this. DS helped me set up his scale. Each level describes a volume level and gives examples of the appropriate setting. His voice scale is set up like this:

When DS gets too loud, we remind him, "Use your Number 3 voice." Or we say, "What voice are you using? What voice should you be using?" Gradually DS is learning to pay attention to his volume and regulate it. We're still working on it, but he is getting better.

We have lots of copies of the voice scale. There are big copies on the walls at home. DH and I carry wallet sized copies. The teachers have copies at school and aftercare (daycare) has a copy in his classroom there. This way we are all consistent in using the same system.

The 5 point scale system was originally developed for kids with ASD, ADHD, Anxiety, and other issues. But some parents of typical kids find it helpful too.

Oh I so like this!!!

DS is loud too. We have always said he has two volumes- LOUD and asleep. ;) At school with my kids there and to a lesser amount with ds I will put my and up to my nose with the thumb on the tip and it outstretched to the pinky. Then I tell them they only need there voice to be loud enough to reach their pinky. It is great because later you can catch their attention and give the "Pinky Voice" sign and they quiet right down. At home I try to provide lots of times and situations to get the BIG voice (and the energy it takes) out- running, jumping, bike riding, etc.

Oh and tylenol or excedrin for me when it is tooooooo loud!!! ;)

KrisM
01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
At least it's not just here :). I like the 5 point scale and we might give that one a try. He's quiet in school, generally speaking. I've never been told he talks loudly there. And, probably his normal loud is about perfect for school situations, although it would be too loud for normal friend situations.

LexyLou
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the 5 point scale! Definitely going to try it.

On a side note. I'd be surprised if DD isn't diagnosed ADD or ADHD when she's of age.

Cam&Clay
01-30-2011, 11:40 PM
We had a student last year who screamed everything ALL THE TIME. They tested her hearing and she was fine. The SLP worked with her and told all of the teachers working with her to use the same language with her. Kind of like the 5 point scale, we had her with a 1 inch voice and a 6 inch voice. For the 1 inch, we would hold our hands in front of our faces and say "XX, one inch voice" to remind her that she was to project her voice only to her hand. This was the voice I was aiming for since I worked with her in the library. Obviously, her classroom teacher and parents want the 6 inch voice.

This year, she is a 2nd grader and is just fine. I never have to remind her to use her 1 inch voice in the library.

Puddy73
01-31-2011, 09:53 AM

We have had some success with the 5 point scale for DS,too. If we are around other people, I just hold up 2 or 3 fingers and he knows what I mean. We explained that the number 5 was for emergencies, so when he really wants my attention he yells "FIVE!!!!" at the top of his lungs. We are still working on that!

egoldber
01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
We do something like the 5 point list with older DD as well. They talk about this in her social skills class too. Only they call it her "friendly" voice and the being too loud can make people back away because it is too loud.

hellokitty
01-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for posting that 5 pt scale. DS1 is an abnormally loud talker (hearing is ok, we already had that checked to rule that out). We keep reminding him, but he still forgets. I can't help but think that some of it is genetic, since my mil is the loudest talker I have ever encountered. She basically yells everything all of the time. It took me a couple yrs to figure out that she wasn't pissed off every time she was talking, b/c I couldn't figure out why she ALWAYS USED SUCH A LOUD VOICE!!!! She is so loud, she has awoken my babies many times while they were sleeping and she was in a different part of the house, b/c of her inappropriate volume. I'm very soft spoken, so being around loud talkers drives me nuts.

marylovesbennyhill
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM
I tell my DD "Turn down the volume"

ett
02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

This is also what they use with DS1 at school.