PDA

View Full Version : tips...flu in house, 38.5 weeks pregnant?

smilequeen
01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
So, I'm due around 2/10. Last week my 3 year old got sick...fever, chills, malaise, but he never really complained about anything specific. It lasted aobut 4 days. Now I have it...fever, chills, achy everywhere, sore throat, etc. It feels like the flu. We had flu shots (usually don't but I figured we should with a winter baby coming).

I have mild pre-E they are keeping an eye on on top of this. So we're keeping an eye on that, but so far there is no pressing need to deliver and I'm hoping he stays in until we're all healthy. But, in case he doesn't...is there anything extra you would do to protect the baby? Clearly, we will keep anyone remotely sick away from him, clean, clean, clean, wash hands, etc. I'll be breastfeeding.

Any medical people know if he'll get some sort of immunity from me having this this close to my due date? I know they claim they get something from the flu shot itself...

It seems to be relatively mild, maybe due to having had the shot, but it's scary being this close to bringing a newborn home...DS1 and DH do not have it. Yet. I'm keeping them away from me and I kept them away from DS2 when he was sick. All he wanted was me though, and it was inevitable that I'd catch it...Grandma has been helping out a lot, but she had the flu over Christmas so I hope she's going to be OK too.

caleymama
01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
I can't speak to the pg part, but DH and I came down with it less than a week after DD2 was born (also 11/04), courtesy of my Mom who had come to help out. She ended up leaving early to go home because she was so miserably sick. DH and I spent the better part of a week camped out on the couch and in bed with all the symptoms you describe (never went to the doc, so I can't say for sure that it was *the flu* but if it wasn't it was a very close cousin). DD1 never had more than mild cold symptoms and brand new DD2 had no symptoms at all. I was nursing, FWIW. We had not had flu shots (never do).

If I was dealing with it now instead of 6 years ago, I would take oscillococcinum (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/oscillo.com) and Sambucus (http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Winter-Season/6970-Sambucus-Original-Syrup.aspx) but I'm not sure about taking it while pg. We've had good experiences with the oscillo in particular helping with flu-like symptoms.

I hope you feel better ASAP and can't wait to hear baby news :).