PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower recommendations?

Cam&Clay
01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
DH has decided that we need a snowblower even though our winters aren't ALWAYS bad. Just the past two...

Anyway, he will most likely be in Afghanistan all of next winter, leaving me with snow duty (with DS1's help), so he'd like to get a snowblower. I figure some of you have one and can help us out. I think he wants gas powered, not electric, and it doesn't have to be super heavy duty. It's not like we have a mile-long driveway!

Pros? Cons? Recommendations?

Indianamom2
01-30-2011, 07:13 PM
If you have any amount of snow/area to clean, I'd advise a gas powered over electric.

Our in-laws gave us an electric snow blower, which was incredibly generous of them, but even though we live in the same state, they live 2 hours south of us and while it might work for the amount of snow they get, it isn't really any easier than shoveling for us. In fact, I often opt for the shovel because it's quicker.

I believe that if you have 8+ inches at a time and especially if it's heavy wet snow, then you will want a two-stage snow blower, but those are expensive (like $500+). If you get less, then a single stage blower might work just fine.

Rainbows&Roses
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
If my DH were leaving with me with snow duty, I would get an electric as I would not want to be messing with gas, oil, the fumes and the weight of a gas-powered one.

We have had both and my DH much prefers the electric one. His dad bought the same one and loves it.

We live in Chicagoland and have no problem using it with multiple inches of snow.