PDA

View Full Version : Good price for diapers

Swallowbird23
01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi All, I don't have kids yet so I'm a bit clueless on this. I have a friend who will be having a small shower. She said she really just wants diapers/wipes, with a preference for Pampers. It's her first baby but will be getting just about everything used from her sister (My friends baby will be the same gender as her sisters and born the same season last year)

The shower isn't for a few months so I have some time to wait for a sale but in the paper this week Target has a $7 off coupon (if you buy 160ct+ swaddlers or 112ct+ BabyDry and 480Ct wipes) and P&G has a $2 off for the same combo. They are also having a "Baby Sale" on some diapers this week (15% off if you buy 2 boxes...but not sure how these sale prices compare to others)

So, My question is, what's a good price for these diapers in the larger size boxes? I'd like to make sure I'm getting a good deal but can't

Also, is there a preference for either the Swaddlers or the BabyDry?

Thanks so much!

BabyBearsMom
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
For a little baby, I prefer Swaddlers strongly. I would recommend getting a size 1 or 2 instead of Newborn. Everyone will probably buy Newborn and babies just aren't in them that long. Also, go for Swaddlers Sensitive because they don't have Drymax (some kids get a rash from Drymax). I order my diapers through Amazon Mom and get a 30% discount, so when we were in Pampers, we ended up paying about $.16 per diaper. Without the Amazon Mom discount, I think they are about $.23 per diaper. HTH

mom2khj
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
The best price will be from Amazon Mom, using subscribe and save. Gets you 30% off the large boxes. Even better if you can find one of the 20% of diaper coupons in the baby magazines. I think Baby Talk has them, not sure which other ones.

Here is a small thread about it:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=387628&highlight=Amazon+Mom

You don't have to keep the subscribe and save active once the diapers have shipped.

For newborn, up until size 3, I preferred Pampers Swaddlers. A lot of people prefer the Sensitive, which does not have Dry Max, but we never had an issue with Dry Max. We're just moving into size 3 so I haven't found my favorite brand for the larger sizes yet.

ha98ed14
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I always figured the price per diaper and felt successful it I could get it under $.18/ diaper. I used pampers exclusively. I did not see any difference in performance between swaddlers and baby dry, but some people do. Not sure why. FWIW, I have a girl. I would also check out the baby cheap skate website. http://babycheapskate.com/ There are usually coupons in the Sunday paper once every month or so.

AnnieW625
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Go with the Swaddlers Sensitive just to be on the safe side as they don't have the Dry Max stuff in them. Amazon lists a box of size 1, 152 diapers for $41.99. Send me a PM and I will send you a code for 20% off diapers at Amazon, I have one which expires tonight. I can get you the code tonight when I get home from work (around 6 PM PST). I have been buying diapers off Amazon or at Costco for the better part of the last four years so I really don't know the retail price of large boxes of diapers anymore.

ETA: FWIW, with DD1 I only used Pampers Swaddlers, and never used Baby Dry, but Swaddlers are really hard to beat, and the sizing is easy, and very accurate. I will say though that my DD1 who was 6lbs., 6 oz. at birth stayed in Newborn Swaddlers for two months so while I don't think it would be smart to buy a big box of the Newborn diapers I would include at least one 40 pack package of those ($17.99 at Target IIRC) for just in case.

katydid1971
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Your friend is probably asking for Pampers because they are the biggest name so they must be the best. I personally would get her a different brand so she can try a few brands and see what works best. I MUCH preferred the Kirkland (Costco) brand diapers which are basically Huggies Supreme. The other thing is babies are only in size 1 for a very short time (a few weeks) it might be nice to pick up size 2s or 3s. They are in size 3 for a lot longer.
I agree with PP avoid Dry Max, lots of people have had problems with it causing very bad rashes.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Diaper preference can also vary within families - I despise Pampers, but my sister loves them!

My DD wore Pampers in the hospital ... and got a rash within a couple of days. In the hospital. After we got home, I switched her to Huggies Pure & Natural and the rash cleared up. When that pack ran out, we had a pack of Pampers. The rash came back.

Needless to say, we no longer use Pampers.

Based on this experience, and knowing how sensitive my brother's bum was when he was a baby, when my younger nephew was born, I bought a small package of Huggies Pure & Natural for my SIL to use with him just in case. (They seem to like Pampers OK for him. Guess it's just my DD with the super-sensitive butt!)