PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about pet insurance

crl
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
So, we are putting down a deposit on a golden retriever puppy today, already born, to come home in March. Thank you to everyone who weighed in on breeds! We seriously looked at Berners, Newfies and Goldens. And ended up at Golden.

Now I need to start getting my ducks in a row. So, is pet insurance worth it? What company? What do I need to know about it?

Thanks!
Catherine

AnnieW625
01-31-2011, 03:49 PM
We have never had it. We got our dog from the pound and we take her for her yearly exam, and shots as needed and we spend about $200 total on her dr. visits. We did have to have a cancerous mass removed from her neck when she was 4 and paid $600 for that but that was the most expensive treatment we have spent on her. Almost four years later she is still in good health. We are lucky.

I would just get the dog good food (my aunt/uncle's dog has skin allergies and for some reason doesn't eat certain types of meat) and just take it to the vet for annual exams/shots.

rlu
01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
We never have but wonder if it would have been better for us if we had. LGD went in to be spayed and during the surgery the vet found a growth on the intestine and after calling for the ok, removed it. That "spay" surgery and stay cost over $1k. Both dogs developed arthritis and osteosarcoma which required expensive medicines. I don't know if these would have been covered.

Not sure pet insurance is worthwhile for the normal things (heartguard, flea/tick, annual visits/shots) but if it covers the catastrophic events, well, maybe.

With goldens pretty sure dysplasia is a concern - does your contract with the breeder address genetic health issues satisfactorily? You don't need to answer that here, but you might consider that in making this decision.

kdeunc
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I will be watching this thread. We are considering it as well for our two young dogs. I think the general feeling seems to be to "self-insure" but with our two original German Shepherds we estimate that we have spent at least $10,000 in 10 years on the two of them. Our female, who died in April, was on a medication from 2 years on that ran about $200 every 5-6 weeks.

We do have friends who had a policy for their dog. I will check to see which company. Their dog died very young from cancer and the policy covered all treatment options to try and save the dog.

Good luck with your new puppy!! :)

crl
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks! Goldens are prone to hip dysplasia and to cancer as well. So that may be a consideration in deciding whether to insure. But it may also raise the rates. . . .

Catherine

veronica
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
We had it for our dogs, for about 5 years. We stopped a few years ago , in an attempt to cut expenses.

We would get some money back for flea and tick med. We paid about $30 per month for the first dog and $22 for the second (multiple discount). If you submitted the paperwork for the flea and tick, it paid back about $50 max for the year each dog. One year, our bichon ate a bunch of grass that had been treated with pesticides. She was sick and foaming at the mouth. It covered most, if not all, of her emergency work , which neared $1k.

I sort of wish we still had it, for peace of mind. Two years ago, our bichon developed stones and required surgery , which cost us 1K. it would have been nice to have it then. I'm sure if we went back now, our dogs rates would be much higher due to her history and their age.

I beleive the name of the company was vpi pet insurance.

Oh, and cancer coverage was extra and Idon't think we elected for that.

zen_bliss
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
research carefully. my experience with pet insurance was delay and deny, hoping that the policyholder will just tire of battling. if you have a purebred dog, they will reject just about everything on the grounds that the breed is prone to it. i used to joke that if a dog got hit by a car, they would send a letter saying that the breed was notorious for escaping and therefore the submitted claim was not covered. after 2 years i dropped it, and had only one or two minor sick vet visits over the years, so it turned out to be the right choice.

i just looked over the itemized details of the VPI high end plan -- of the 3 dogs i have had over the last 15 years, none of the variety of senior conditions they had are covered (read carefully the long last page of exclusions). the thousands of dollars i would have spent on insurance -- which in the end would not have helped out with bills anyway -- was much, much more than what i spent on the actual treatment. run a few case scenarios and look at the co-insurance and deductible and medication coverage.

with that in mind, consider whether you would be better off putting the monthly premium aside in a 'veterinary emergencies' account.

reputable breeders of breeds with known orthopedic conditions will supply an OFA report. explore here: http://www.offa.org/stats.html

crl
01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks! Yes, I have copies of the health clearances of the parents so I think we have done what we can to minimize those risks, though certainly not eliminate them.

I appreciate the feedback on insurance!

Catherine

MissAndi
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
My DH and I were looking into pet insurance, as well. Consumer Reports did a cost benefit analysis of the major pet insurance companies not long ago. They basically found that it was not really particularly cost effective, which surprised me. Many insured for some catastrophic illnesses but apparently left many things out (like hip dysplasia -- we have a Lab, so we were looking to make sure that was covered).

Instead of purchasing pet insurance, CR suggested that you put what you'd regularly be paying as a monthly/quarterly/annual installment into a savings account specifically for pet care. That way, you don't get denied for coverage of things.

We're still looking into it, but honestly, I think that's what we are going to do.

I love my fur baby deeply. I would literally break down into tears if he'd get sick (and that was BEFORE I got PG and all hormonal!!). So, I totally understand wanting the absolute best for your pup. Good luck!!

KLD313
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
You're better of taking the money you would spend on the premiums and make a separate bank account for pet expenses. Add to it if you have some spare money and you'll be much better off. They exclude so many conditions pet insurance is not worth it, I have three dogs and don't find it beneficial at all.

Dream
01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I have VPI for my labradore. http://www.petinsurance.com/affiliates/PPCGoogleAdwords.aspx?ec=CI0133&src=adwords&gclid=CIzsp9q_5aYCFcbd4AodL3Sx1w

He had 3 surgeries as a young lab before I finally got insurance for him. Thankfully he haven't had major problems and so far they're reimbursed me for according to the coverage. I've been with VPI for about 6 years and that's why they're still covering him eventhough he's going on 10 now. Otherwise once they aged you can't get insurance.

According to my calculations I've paid them more than what I've benefited for but we just keep on since you never know and something major could happen.

melwe
02-01-2011, 02:05 PM
This is by far the most comprehensive website that examines pet insurance. It has been put together by a veterinarian (and as far as I know) she is not affiliated with any particular company.

It explains all the exclusions, things to look for, etc. There are so many companies, and they all have different rules regarding pre-existing conditions, purebred dogs (genetic exclusions), and renewal policies. The best time to insure your pet is when it is a puppy. Good luck!

http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/index.html

crl
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
This is by far the most comprehensive website that examines pet insurance. It has been put together by a veterinarian (and as far as I know) she is not affiliated with any particular company.

It explains all the exclusions, things to look for, etc. There are so many companies, and they all have different rules regarding pre-existing conditions, purebred dogs (genetic exclusions), and renewal policies. The best time to insure your pet is when it is a puppy. Good luck!

http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/index.html

That was super helpful!

Thanks everyone!

Catherine