PDA

View Full Version : Snowzilla almost here....are you ready?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
So we've gotten the forcasted 1/2 inch of ice and now we're getting sleet like crazy. The snow is due to start soon, we're forecasted to get 12-18 inches. That's today. Tomorrow is the high winds of 40+ mph.

The governor of missouri has declared a state of emergency and called out the national guard. We've got 600 soldiers ready to help through the state. The director of the highway patrol has gone on tv and said "if you don't have to go out then don't. If you can stay home from work and school then do so." United way has started the 211 number to assist people to take the load off of 911 and every time I turn on the tv and get into a good show it's interrupted by a service message about using 211 instead of 911 for service questions. And the electric company is already set for this and prepared.

I've purchased extra food, even sent dh to the store last night to get toaster waffles and chicken tenders for the kids. We've done everything we can aside from purchasing kerosene/propane space heaters and lamps. Dh grew up in this house and mil lives with us. Both of them swear up and down that if the power goes out we'll only loose 5 degrees each day and since I keep the house at 70 we should be ok. Kids are all home from school and dh is home from work. All we can do now is be cozy and pray that the electric company's infrastructure can handle what nature can throw at it.

How about you?

sarahsthreads
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Our forecast is not quite so bad here in western NY - 2-3 inches tonight and a foot+ tomorrow - but I went grocery shopping today (normal grocery day) and it was a complete zoo with no milk left anywhere in the store. So I'd say most people around here are prepared. ;)

I'm not prone to worrying about snow, but I've lived through so many blizzards and ice storms that I figure as long as nobody has to go drive anywhere we're good. We also have a generator that powers the furnace and refrigerator (and, oddly enough, the TV because of how the circuits are laid out) so if the power goes out we still stay warm.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll wind up with a snow day tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath either. It would have to be one heck of a storm for our local school to close. Growing up in this same school district, that begins with a letter very nearly at the end of the alphabet, it sucked to listen to looooong list of school closings and realize that ours was the only school district in the entire greater Rochester area that was. not. closed. Sigh.

I hope everyone stays warm and safe!

Sarah :)

Dream
02-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm in NY and am hoping we get snowed in tormorrow but I doubt it, going by the forecast.

wendibird22
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Upstate NY here too and have a feeling it gonna be the big storm that wasn't. For us 14in over the course of 12-24hrs is really nothing. But in the last few years the districts around here rarely do a delayed start. It's just too much of a hassle with bussing so it's either open or closed. DH is a teacher so he'd love a snow day. I work for a college so unless campus loses power or a state of emergency is declared, I'll be working. And as Sarah said, the grocery store near me was crawling with people awaiting the armageddon!