PDA

View Full Version : How long would you wait to see a doctor IF

HIU8
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
you did what I did last night.

At 3 am DD called for a glass of water. I got up to get her some from downtstairs. I was almost all of the way down the steps when she called out again. I turned to shush her and when I turned back around I forgot that I was not at the bottom of the steps. I missed the last 2 steps and fell to the floor. I hurt my left knee (it isn't swollen or bruised but it HURTS). I also didn't realize that I hurt my right wrist. It only hurts when I pull upwards with my hand. It's also not swollen or visibly bruised. I'm wondering if I bruised bones and/or pulled or damaged tendons or ligaments or if I may have a small stress fracture etc.... Meanwhile I can walk and use my right hand.

How long would you wait to see a doctor (I was thinking I would give it another day or so and see if the pain was still there). I hate to have to go hunting for a doc (my orthopedist from when I had knee surgery specializes in knees only). I would need to find someone who deals with hands/wrists.

jse107
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, Dr. Berdia specializes in hands/wrists. He's off of Shady Grove and is really good (we've had a few trips there).

That doesn't really answer your question, but I thought I'd throw it our there for you!

LMPC
02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
If I could move both areas and tylenol/ibuprofen helped and the swelling wasn't worsening, then I would wait. But that's me...I really don't like going to the dr for sick and injured visits. I know, a little weird!

Sorry to hear about the fall!

HIU8
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I think he is in my insurance. I remember Richard Reff does hands and wrists also. I cannot remember if he is good or not though.

JBaxter
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I would treat with ibuprophen for a minimum of 3-5 days if it wasnt swollen and I had reasonable range of movement. Its reasonable for it to be sore since you fell down 2 steps

HIU8
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
That was my first thought. I normally wait. Although, if I wait to long and it's a hairline fracture or something, there is nothing they can do at that point (and I assume basically nothing they can do for a hairline fracture in general anyway).

I have had hairline fractures in both feet with no swelling (years of teaching aerobics) which is why I'm worried about my knee and wrist.

AshleyAnn
02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Knees rarely bruise because of the tissue structure. i recently hurt one of mine - no bruise but lots of pain. I let mine go for a couple days and it improved. Ibprofen helped.

hillview
02-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I would treat with ibuprophen for a minimum of 3-5 days if it wasnt swollen and I had reasonable range of movement. Its reasonable for it to be sore since you fell down 2 steps

:yeahthat:

WolfpackMom
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Ibuprofhen and ice for a few days. I wouldnt go in since you can move it just fine etc.