PDA

View Full Version : Horrible sinus headaches/stuffy sinuses - how to treat while BFing?

citymama
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I have the worst sinus congestion! My entire head is throbbing and it hurts to even move. I'm nursing, and I know Sudafed is contraindicated when BFing. What can I do to get some relief that won't be problematic for the baby? (Tried the hot shower approach, which provided temporary relief.) Thanks!

Indianamom2
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, honestly it sounds like you may need some antibiotics if it's that bad.

But for a temporary fix, although I've never tried it, I know a lot of people swear by the Neti Pot for sinus issues. It would definitely be perfectly safe.

Hope you feel better ASAP.:hug:

kellij
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I was always told to take Sudafed. I didn't realize it was contraindicated. I asked about it and was told to take it and it really helped me. If it's an infection I get a z pack from the dr.

DebbieJ
02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Neti Pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Ive had the same problem many many times especially while pregnant. One thing that really helped me was the neilmed sinus rinse 2x a day. I use squeeze bottle version which is similar to netipot

wendibird22
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I've taken sudefed and I am BF. Here's the kellymom link: http://kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html#decongestants

Decongestants
Both pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are generally considered to be safe for the breastfed baby, but pseudoephedrine may reduce milk supply.

Pseudoephedrine & milk supply: Thomas Hale Ph. D., a renowned breastfeeding pharmacologist (Breastfeeding Pharmacology), notes that "breastfeeding mothers with poor or marginal milk production should be exceedingly cautious in using pseudoephedrine" and that "it is apparent that mothers in late-stage lactation may be more sensitive to pseudoephedrine and have greater loss in milk production"

boogiemom
02-01-2011, 09:09 PM
As someone who suffers from chronic sinusitis, I feel your pain. :( Sinus rinse with the squeeze bottle version of a neti pot plus the highest dose of mucinex you are allowed to take to thin everything out. Also, a nasal spray to reduce inflammation in your nasal passages if allowed. The rinse will typically give some relief quickly.

Tanya
02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Me too me too me too...

My dh stopped at the pharmacy and they recommended the sudafed and gave a printout saying just not to BF in the first 2 hours after taking. I never take anything, so I really was desperate.
I took a half dose before bed. Then I took a half dose around 11am the next morning right after nursing my boy. He woke and I held him off until 1pm and nursed him again. The entire rest of that day was a nightmare. He was an irritable mess and wouldn't nap except on me, etc. I don't know if it decreased my milk supply or what, but I won't be taking it again...although, I was able to finally breathe.

I'm using the neti pot and Vicks Vapo-rub. My head still hurts though, but my congestion is finally breaking up and I can breathe.

belovedgandp
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I swear by nasal rinsing and mucinex - straight mucinex while BF, otherwise add in the D for the decongestant but not while nursing.

jbbhb
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Ive had the same problem many many times especially while pregnant. One thing that really helped me was the neilmed sinus rinse 2x a day. I use squeeze bottle version which is similar to netipot

:yeahthat: I just got over a sinus infection recently and I don't know why but I was so resistant to the nasal rinse, but it is amazing! Makes you feel so much better. I also use the squeeze bottle.

Cam&Clay
02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I didn't BF, but I was allowed to take Sudafed (the real kind you have to sign for) when I was pregnant. For my sinus headaches, I take a sudafed, two tylenol, and two ibuprofen. It sounds like a lot, but it's very safe. I lay down for a half hour and it's gone.

MamaKath
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Neti Pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yeahthat:
Gross, but works. Also lots and lots of fluids (I had one dr tell me if I wasn't drinking a gallon and a half of water it wouldn't flow enough to go away) but if it isn't getting better get some antibiotics.

RunnerDuck
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Sudafed is fine while nursing and pregnant. Some very conservative docs will say no sudafed while preg but many others say it is fine - and many women take it while preg with no problems, self included. While nursing, as mentioned the concern is a dry up in supply - lots of fluids, and only taking it as needed, no more, should help with that. I have never had a problem with sudafed while nursing. That said I prefer nasal sprays as they are more local and work much faster. (Afrin type... skeptical of neti pot, neilmed, etc when the issue is inflammation, rather than mucus...)

Dr C
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Another fan of the Neil Med sinus rinse (the squeeze bottle). Also sounds like you may need antibiotics.
I would NOT take sudafed. It can badly damage milk supply, sometimes irreversably, sometimes in just one dose. A LC told me to take it when DS weaned himself abruptly and I was engorged and it definitely helped (almost immediately) but the same effect can be devastating if you aren't planning to wean. Yes, some people take sudafed without problem but you really don't know till you try it and those stakes were too high for me.

Smillow
02-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I always use a neti pot & Mucinex with lots of water. Still BF my 23 month old.

RunnerDuck
02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Another fan of the Neil Med sinus rinse (the squeeze bottle). Also sounds like you may need antibiotics.
I would NOT take sudafed. It can badly damage milk supply, sometimes irreversably, sometimes in just one dose. A LC told me to take it when DS weaned himself abruptly and I was engorged and it definitely helped (almost immediately) but the same effect can be devastating if you aren't planning to wean. Yes, some people take sudafed without problem but you really don't know till you try it and those stakes were too high for me.

People do take it when they are weaning - but when you are weaning you are also stopping all stimulation to the breast. So you get a (possible) dip in supply due to the sudafed, followed by no more stimulation telling your breasts to make milk. Very different IMO that taking sudafed but keeping on with the breast stimulation/nursing.

citymama
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks everyone. Question #1: what exactly is a Neti pot, how does it work, and where can I get one?

I've actually been experiencing a slight dip in my milk supply and I EBF a baby who is pretty small (20 percentile for weight) and who doesn't like solids too much. I can't afford to mess with supply. The point made about drinking enough water is a really good one - both for the sinus issues as well as milk supply. I will take a Tylenol just to deal with the headache, thanks, and will also look into nasal sprays (although the pain is over my eyes and in my temples). Ive also been recommended a homeopathic alternative (Kali Phos).

RunnerDuck
02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks everyone. Question #1: what exactly is a Neti pot, how does it work, and where can I get one?

I've actually been experiencing a slight dip in my milk supply and I EBF a baby who is pretty small (20 percentile for weight) and who doesn't like solids too much. I can't afford to mess with supply. The point made about drinking enough water is a really good one - both for the sinus issues as well as milk supply. I will take a Tylenol just to deal with the headache, thanks, and will also look into nasal sprays (although the pain is over my eyes and in my temples). Ive also been recommended a homeopathic alternative (Kali Phos).

http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-NasaFlo-Unbreakable-Premixed-Packets/dp/B000ITHH86

I don't really understand how/why it is much better than a saline spray, other than there is more rinsing... and so I am skeptical of it helping with inflammation. If your problem is snot I can see it loosening things and getting it moving but when the problem is swelling in the tissues, i don't know.

I have never tried one - i am kind of freaked out by it. But I have tried saline - I avoided all meds when i was preg with my son, needlessly I now think. Saline did nothing.

You might try advil instead of tylenol - advil helps more with inflammation, my mother swears it helps her sinuses. Never seemed to do much for me but is safe while nursing (unless you're allergic!)

I also read once that taking cayenne pepper capsules can help, which you can get in vitamin sections, and supposedly spicy food... when I was super congested when preg with my son the pharmacist who said nothing else was safe suggested spicy food - alas my favorite thai place was closed for remodling!! ! I would have gotten some wicked hot tom yum gai.

The cayenne could affect breast milk taste...

tylersmama
02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Neti pot video and instructions (http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/NetiPot/NetiPotInstructions.aspx). Warning: it looks extremely bizarre and uncomfortable, but it really isn't uncomfortable and it really does work. I got my neti pot at Whole Foods, and just use plain sea salt rather than buying a premade solution. I also have the Neilmed sinus rinse bottle (http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php), which is available at most drug stores and at Costco. I prefer the neti pot, but the neilmed bottle is a little faster and more convenient. They both work, though!

I'm a believer...I tend to get frequent sinus infections, and I've warded off more than one full-blown infection with the neti pot/neilmed, one just in the past few weeks. My mom had chronic sinus infections for years until she started using the neilmed bottle daily.

jbbhb
02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Ha that video was so funny to me because the girl looks all elegant and put together...and then she does the sinus rinse. hahaha!

I got my Neilmed sinus rinse bottle at CVS and it came with the little packets that you just pour in the bottle then fill it with warm water. I think t was about $12. I got the bottle because I thought the pot looked like it would take too much coordination with the turning of the head and the lifting. I hope it works for you if you try it, it really helped me a lot!

Tondi G
02-02-2011, 01:51 AM
another product you can try is Alkalol .. it is a nasal wash/mucus solvent

http://www.alkalolcompany.com/index.php