PDA

View Full Version : Favorite party games?

salsah
02-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Trying to come up with some indoor party game ideas for 5 and 6 year olds. Lately it seems that everyone has birthday parties at a location so i'm struggling to think of anything other than pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel.

any ideas?

sunriseiz
02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Drop the clothespin in the bottle
Musical chairs
Simple scavenger hunt

Does it have to be a game? Our parties have always been at home and usually we have a craft or two.

HTH!

newnana
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
What's the theme?

I remember when I was little one of my friend's party's was in their basement. They had one section of the room filled with balloons on the floor and 2 chairs. They separated us into 2 teams and lined us up on the other side of the room. It was a relay race. The person in line ran to the other side of the room, grabbed a balloon from the pile, put it on the chair and popped it by sitting on it. Once it popped, they could run back and clap the hand of the next person in line and they could go. First line of kids done wins. We thought it was hilarious.

As a mom I might not want to clean that up. But as kids we loved it.

That's a pretty generic one. If you have a theme I'd love to think of others.

mikeys_mom
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
For DS's 6th birthday we did;

Musical chairs
Hot potato
Bean bag toss
Egg on a spoon race
Who can make the longest paperclip chain race

I did the fishing for ducks game for DD's 4th birthday. I imagine it would be a hit for 5 and 6 year olds as well. The party was indoors so I needed to find a way to run the game without water. I took the Lucky Ducks game I had hidden from the kids because it is so annoying. I glued magnets to the heads of the ducks and bought a small toy fishing rod at the dollar store and added a longer string and a magnet to it. I put the ducks in a bin, lined it with blue crepe paper.

The past few years we have done parties at home and they have been a huge hit. I find the key is to plan for lots of short activities to prevent boredom and lots of prizes to motivate them to listen and participate. Often we don't end up playing all the games I planned but that's better than being left with nothing to do.

salsah
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Does it have to be a game? Our parties have always been at home and usually we have a craft or two.

HTH!

love to hear craft suggestions too. for some reason it has been easier for me to think of craft ideas than game ideas, so that is why i asked about games.

turtle12
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
hot potato, freeze dance and limbo are favorites around here!

turtle12
02-02-2011, 02:16 PM
hot potato, freeze dance and limbo are favorites around here!

happy2bamom
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm planning a party for a 7yo and plan to steal some of the games from "Minute to Win it". All use household items and currently my kids love that show.

PunkyBoo
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
How funny, I was going to ask for suggestions for Punkin's 7th Birthday party! I'm hoping it won't rain so we can have the party in the backyard (we have a playset and can do a pinata outside). If it rains, everyone will need to stay inside so no pinata. and I don't have an abuncance of space in the house to accomodate everyone. The only game I came up with is charades. We're having a Mad Science show (they'll do it indoors or out) so I'm going to make up cards for charades in science and nature theme and set a timer for each clue. I'm hoping that will hold their attention for a while... (as I pray for no rain... :praying:)