PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your toddler busy when you're stuck inside?

jenfromnj
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
We've been snowed in a lot lately (once a week or more since Christmas), and we are starting to go a bit stir crazy here. DS is 22 months, so too young for board games or most crafts. We've done lots of running around the house and riding his new trike around inside, playing with every car, toy, musical instrument, pot, pan and unsharp kitchen utensil we own, read lots of books, played in DS's playtent, made a fort out of sheets in the dining room (stole that idea from my sister) made homemade pretzels and cookies, played with play doh, used the easel, watched some TV, excessively harassed the poor dog, and just about anything else I can think of. We really can't even play outside today, since this last storm was tons of ice and everything is a slick, ice-crusted mess.

But with being inside so often, we're all starting to climb the walls, and by the end of the day, I find myself putting something on TV because DS is getting so bored and cranky.

If anyone has any other suggestions about how to keep a toddler entertained inside, I'd be eternally grateful!!

zoestargrove
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
off the top of my head I remember doing these two activities with my boys when they were younger.

setting him up at the table with a muffin (mini muffin pan) some tongs and various beans, nuts, noodles, etc. My boys liked using the tongs and organizing the small items into each of the muffin tins.

A sink filled with just a little water and LOTS of bubbles is fun for them to play in.

momof2girls
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I used to put some flour on the counter and add water to make dough with it. DD had lots of fun just playing with it and thinking she was cooking.
We would also put macaroni or beans between paper plates and make tambourines or I would take out a cookie sheet and let her play with her magnets on it.

Momof3Labs
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Have a pool party. Throw on your swimsuits and hop in the bathtub with lots of fun toys.

Or put on some winter gear and bring a bucket of snow inside to play with in the bathtub.