PDA

View Full Version : My poor baby...(sorry long and sad)

BillK
02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
So today at 3:30 our Vet is coming to the house to euthinize our beloved Yellow Lab of 11 1/2 years.

I just made her annual checkup appointment and noticed her belly looking a bit bloated. I called back and told them about it and they said to bring her in right away (yesterday). They did 4 X-Rays and came back told me to take her to the emergency vet clinic near Pittsburgh right away for an Ultrasound. All we could see in the X-rays was a gigantic white mass in her entire chest cavity and nothing else.

Sadly - she has this gigantic growth in her abdomen that's pushing her lungs outward and her esophogus and windpipe up - making it hard for her to breath and eventually will stifle her heart. She was fine on Tuesday - like nothing was any different than the past 11 years of days - by the end of the day Wednesday she's panting and out of breath and today she's noticeably more bloated and having labored breathing and won't eat.

The cardiologist there said they could attempt to do surgery to remove it but it would extremely invasive and hard on her - and we'd then have months and months of Chemo and Radiation to go through.

The poor girl has been such a good dog all these years and I just can't bring myself to put her through all that with no guarantee of anything. She lived through TPLO surgery just over 3 years ago and has been going great ever since. She's had a great 11 years and is more well traveled than lots of people (Nantucket, Marthas Vineyward and Kiawah!) - I need to let her go with dignity - in her own house on her own bed.

She's our office dog too - not sure how we're all going to cope.

Thanks for reading if you did. Sorry it was so long.

I just can't believe this has happened so fast....

elektra
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Oh no, I am so so sorry. :( It sounds like she was a beloved member of your family. Take care.

WolfpackMom
02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
So sorry Bill :( she sounds like a wonderful dog and Im sure she was well loved and will be missed.

BabyBearsMom
02-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh Bill! Your post made me cry. What a wonderful dog. My thoughts are with you today.

Tondi G
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh Bill I am So Sorry. This is almost exactly what happened to my Bailey. She was 12 and over the course of a weekend began to bloat and she went in to the vet. They too said "well we can try to go in and do surgery and then maybe she'd need Chemo, but there was no guarantee that she would even make it through the surgery". She couldn't breathe without being propped up. I knew it was time. She was a great dog. It is so hard making the call but you know when it's right and we are so lucky to be able to do it for them so they don't have to suffer. (HUGS). How lucky your girl is that the vet will come to you and she can go peacefully at home. I'll be thinking of you later today.

larig
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. It is so hard to say goodbye to such a beloved companion. I both hope you and your girl will be at peace. She is lucky to have had such a great family.

Fairy
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Bill, I couldn't read past the first line, and I usually don't open these threads cuz I am sensitive and can't handle it. But I'm glad I did so I could send you my condolences. I'm so very sorry. I understand exactly what you're going through. Sending P&PT for you. So sorry.

:grouphug:

crl
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I am so sorry.

Catherine

hillview
OH NO. That is so sad I am sorry to hear that. We had a vet come to our home to put our dog down and it was very sad. I was relieved that it was in his house and on his dog bed. P&PT for you
/hillary

Dream
I'm so sorry, its heart breaking. My yellow lab is 10 yrs old and I can't bear to think of loosing him.

BeccaB-D
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Big hugs to you :hug:
We own/owned several dogs over the last 15 years and too loose one of them is always hard.

lizzywednesday
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
So sad to hear, Bill. P&PT to you, the family & your coworkers.

My dad went through emotions like this when he had to put my brother's pointer down a couple of years ago. (Dad is very religious, so he and Lucky said a prayer together before the vet did his thing. It made Dad feel better about it; IDK if it would help you to do something like that beforehand, but I figure just suggesting it might help.)

noodle
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh, I'm so very sorry.

Jacksmommy2b
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I am so sorry. :grouphug:

s7714
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry.

billysmommy
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I am so so sorry

DietCokeLover
02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
How devastating, but you are very loving to treat her with dignity and love at this time.

BabyMine
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
It's never easy to say goodbye.:hug:
I am so sorry.

zoestargrove
02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Bill, I'm so sorry. Your post made me cry. I still miss my dog. I was able to take comfort knowing that she lived a wonderful dog life and was loved and cared for like she was my own child. I hope you can find some solace in those thoughts.

Kelly

jamesmom
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I am so sorry :(

TwinFoxes
02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I am so sorry to read this, Bill. She sounds like a wonderful buddy. You are doing right by her. I think it's wonderful that your vet will come to you, so she can be surrounded by love in a place she feels safe. :hug:

jse107
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Bill,
I'm so, so sorry. (I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.) You already know you're doing the right thing, but it doesn't make it any easier. Take some pictures before the vet comes. It may be hard to do, but you'll be glad later.

Take care of yourself.

veronica
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I am so sorry. May you find comfort in the years of memories that you have built with her.

Momit
02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry.

hellokitty
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
:hug: I'm so sorry about your lab. We ended up having to put our minpin of 16 yrs to sleep this past August. I still miss her daily, by the end she was so sick and miserable, no matter what we did, she kept getting worse. It was a hard decision, but something that we knew we would have to do.

lovebebes
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I am so sorry. You really are doing the best for her. Hugs.

oneplustwo
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Bill, I am so very sorry for you and your family and your sweet lab. Your post brought tears to my eyes. We've been through the same with some beloved pets, and it is never easy. Lots of P&PT for you all. I'll be thinking of you.

bnme
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I am so, so sorry. :hug: :hug:

tmahanes
02-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Hugs for your family

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
02-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm so sorry.

Beth

sidmand
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm so sorry.

BillK
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies...here's a pic of her from a few minutes ago. She looks so sad. :-(
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vWVq6yK2ftk/TUmk07NFFtI/AAAAAAAAADk/HbExhDhz5E4/s400/1296671708533.jpg

NancyJ_redo
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Aww, I'm so sorry Bill. What a sad day for you all to lose your beloved dog. :grouphug:

PAfirsttimemom
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Beautiful dog. So very sorry she is going through this. Best wishes to you and your family.

Melaine
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm so sorry! Very heartbreaking...

Indianamom2
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
So sorry to hear this Bill. I hope everything goes very easily and is peaceful and pain-free. I know it will be hard for you and your family, but hopefully it will ease the doggie's suffering.

:hug:

DrSally
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm so sorry. This must be very hard on your family.

malphy
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
What a beautiful dog! I am so sorry that her time has come.

MSWR0319
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm so sorry. I can only imagine what you're going through. We just had the vet out yesterday for our Lab/Golden Retriever who is almost 8 and he thinks he may have cancer. We have to take him in once the weather clears for testing, and I'm already in tears just thinking about the possibilities.

wimama
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
She is a beautiful dog! I am so sorry! You are making the right decision for her. It is so hard to say goodbye.:hug:

calv
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
{{{{{}}}}} I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is losing a family member. you're all in my thoughts

Moneypenny
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Awww, I'm sorry! These amazing pets just work their way into our hearts and never leave!

jenfromnj
02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm so sorry. Lots of P&PT to your family.

wendibird22
02-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry Bill. Dogs truly are a man's best friend. Wishing you all peace.

oneontheway
02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm so sorry, I am tearing up just reading your post. We lost our beloved dog of ten years while my DSS was giving her a bath in the front yard. Without any warning, I never got to say goodbye. So give yours lots of kisses!! Not that it makes it any easier because its SO hard no matter what scenario. Just try to remind yourself of what a beautiful life she had.

niccig
02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Bill, I am so sorry. :hug: Our Maggie Moo is 11 yrs, and I know our days are limited, so I understand how you're feeling..

srhs
02-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I am so sorry. :grouphug:

blue
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
That is so hard when sickness happens fast, I am so sorry. P&PT

fumofu
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry Bill. May your doggie rest in peace.

ellies mom
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm really sorry. It is hard to lose any pet but especially one that has been part of your family for so long.

wendmatt
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm so sorry. That made me cry. My lab is 12 and seems fine, but you know they don't live forever when you get a dog, but it doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts are with you all.

Ceepa
02-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Bill, my heart goes out to you and your family. You honor her by giving her a diginified peaceful passing. I wish you all peace in the coming times of missing her. :hug:

kcimato
02-02-2011, 03:34 PM
What a beautiful and you are doing the right thing by not making her suffer. I know this is a difficult thing to do.

kdeunc
02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I am so sorry for you and your family. I have been exactly where you are a year ago and unfortunately will be again sooner rather than later. You know you are doing the right thing but I can tell you that doesn't make it any easier. I wish you and your sweet dog peace.:hug:

kellij
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
A couple of years ago my 7-year-old shih tzu starting peeing blood. I just thought it would be kidney stones, like the vet thought, and we had a really expensive surgery. It didn't fix the problem. 4 drs. later, lots of really sick days and thousands of dollars, we figured out he had cancer. Prostate cancer, which he shouldn't have gotten because he was neutered. I couldn't bring myself to put him to sleep and had him on special food until he wouldn't eat any more.

I had his mom too and she started coughing and periodically doing a scream/cry. I took them both to a holistic vet to see if there was anything we could do for the son to prolong a good quality of life for him. That vet figured out that the mom was really sick with an enlarged heart (reg vet didn't see it).

Sortly thereafter the mom died (right at this time of year) from heart failure and her son died while sleeping on my chest the day I was going to take him to have him euthanized 11 days later.

Last year our cat was diagnosed with cancer and got really sick immediately, like your dog. That weekend had her euthanized. I was not about to let her have to drag out her illness like I did with my dog. I'm still so sad that happened (with all of them), but if I could change one thing I would have him in much sooner.

You are making the best decision for her and I'm so sorry that you're having to experience this saddness and pain. It's heartbreaking...

Nooknookmom
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
OMG, Bill, so so sorry about your baby :( I just lost one of mine back in July and it is absolutely awful.

There is really nothing that can be said to ease the pain, just take solace in the fact that she had such a wonderful life with you & your family.

SkyrMommy
02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
:hug: I am so sorry for you. We just lost two of our fur babies in October and then two weeks ago. I know just how sad it is.

lablover
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry and I completely understand what you are feeling. We lost our black lab in December, right before Christmas. It was so sudden, she seemed so healthy, but she stopped eating one day so we took her in. Turns out she had a large tumor on her spleen that was most likely cancerous and she had blood in her stomach. We were also told they could do surgery but it wasn't recommended at her age (10) and there was no guarantee she would live longer than a few months. The vet told us if it was her dog she would let her go. We were absolutely devastated, and I literally could not function for several days afterward. She was our first baby, as I'm sure your beautiful dog was to you. Remember the wonderful times you had together and know that you are giving her the best gift by setting her free. :hug::hug:

Bens Momma
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh Bill, sending prayers and hugs to you and your family :hug: It is so hard to make that decision for a pet but it sounds like she's given you many good years and she's had a great life with you!

HUGS!
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

LMPC
02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Bill, I am so terribly sorry to hear about your dog! I'll be thinking about you! :hug:

StantonHyde
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
ahhhhh--I'm so sorry. My Golden Retriever is 14.5 now and I know that I am looking at having to put him down at some point. So sad to lose such a great member of your family.

jess_g
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
So sorry Bill. Your story is making me cry. It sounds like you are doing the best thing for her but it must be so hard on your family.

Jessica.

bubbaray
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm so soo SOOOOO sorry, Bill. :grouphug:

elephantmeg
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I am so sorry. Wishing you all peace today.

Rarick0
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I am so sorry Bill.

mama2g03
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Bill, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a special dog and to make that decision to let her go. Big hugs.

MamaMolly
02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Big hugs, Bill. She sounds like a lovely pooch. You are doing the right thing, hard though it is.

bubbaray
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I just now read through the replies and saw her picture. OMG. She is gorgeous. Seriously!

My yellow lab is going to be 11 this August. I don't even want to think about this with him.

viba424
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Im so sorry for your pain. I just had to put my beloved cat to sleep last month and I still cry for her everyday.

All I can say is that we all have our own time. You would miss your dog even if it were a near from now. Just be glad that she got to live a life full of love and comfort and you didnt make her suffer for longer jsut so you can have her around to pet her.

I find comfort in knowing that for them, the only thing that matters is quality of life. We are sentimental, but thankfully they are not. It always made me feel better knowing my cat never had to get "scared" by her sickness, or lose her pride. She was so proud and Im sure your beautiful dog is. She knows you love her. While its never easy, we as owners we are blessed to be able to help them have a great life from beginning to end and being humane and responsible is the biggest gesture of love. Your memories of sadness over time will be replaced by memories of when she was young and healthy. Thats all they want out of life, so you did good.

sunshine873
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I am so sorry Bill. When we had to say goodbye to our first baby (black lab) at 11 1/2 years, it was one of the hardest days, weeks, etc. :( I know it's hard to watch her suffering now, but that helps you to know you're doing the right thing for her.

Check out the rainbow bridge - she'll be there waiting...

We'll be thinking of you, your family and your office.

catpagmo
02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
It's so hard to lose a pet. I'm so sorry. You're doing the right thing. Hugs to you and your family. :hug:

ETA: Just saw the pic. What a sweetheart she is.

boltfam
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
So sorry. :grouphug:

babyzolo
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
So sorry to hear. My dog of 14 years died somewhat unexpectedly at home in her sleep. Our solace was that she was at home. And she had a wonderful life, did not suffer, and brought so much to our lives. Hang in there. We are thinking of you.

lcarlson90
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I am so sorry Bill. She is a beautiful dog and you will always have many wonderful memories of her. We put our cat down last week so I know how hard it is. After I grieved the loss of our kitty I realized that putting her down was the right thing to do.

mmommy
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
So so sorry for this loss :grouphug:

mrshalco
02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
She's beautiful! So sorry that you are all going through this! :grouphug:

maestramommy
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and your family:hug5:

Tracey
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm so sorry. She is a beautiful dog. You gave her a great life and she will leave you with so many wonderful memories. It's hard to say goodbye, but the memories and the love she gave you live on. Hugs to you and your family.

liamsmom
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm so sorry. The love of a dog is truly a wonderful thing and I'm glad you had 11 years with your baby. I really respect the fact that you are not letting her suffer and she'll go peacefully in her own home. Positive thoughts for you and your family. :hug:

BillK
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank you all again - she's gone. She died quickly and with dignity in my arms in her own house and in her own bed.

We're having her cremated and when her ashes are ready - I'm taking her to our hunting camp in Clarion, PA - which was her favorite place in the world and scattering her ashes.

I'm very thankful that our vet (who normally does not make house calls for this) was willing to come do this for her. She's been her vet since she was a pup and I think that had a lot to do with it.

Momof3Labs
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm so sorry, Bill. I lost my bestest Lab to something similar and it was also very fast. They do leave footprints on your heart, don't they?

AnnieW625
02-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh Bill, Tami, & kids I am so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

malphy
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Thank you all again - she's gone. She died quickly and with dignity in my arms in her own house and in her own bed.

We're having her cremated and when her ashes are ready - I'm taking her to our hunting camp in Clarion, PA - which was her favorite place in the world and scattering her ashes.

I'm very thankful that our vet (who normally does not make house calls for this) was willing to come do this for her. She's been her vet since she was a pup and I think that had a lot to do with it.

She had a good life and was surrounded by love when she died. It is so painful to lose a family member human or canine.

She knows you did the right thing for her so she would not suffer.

hugs again

mama2g03
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Hugs again, Bill. Allow yourself to grieve-she was a special part of your life. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

alien_host
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Bill, I'm so sorry. She was a beautiful dog and like you said a wonderful friend. It's was almost 5 years ago that our almost 14 yr old lab passed away. We still think about her often.

Hugs to you and your family.

EllasMum
02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
So sorry to hear about your dog, Bill. Losing a pet is hard. Big hugs to you and your family!:hug:

amandabea
02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm so sorry. :hug:

artvandalay
02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this...:hug:

My dad had to put down his black Lab 2 years ago. I went with him. It was really hard for me to see my father so heartbroken.

erosenst
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a very lucky dog to have a person who loved her like you did, and who did the right thing for her today by being there at the end as you relieved her suffering.

lmh2402
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
i am so sorry

i cannot bear the thought of when our pup goes

there is nothing more rock solid than the love of a dog

:hug: to your family

BigDog
02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Find comfort in knowing you gave your dog a wonderful long life. While extremely heart-wrenching and difficult, letting him pass with dignity is the best thing you can do for him. Lots of P&PT coming your way.

Mamma2004
02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Bill, I am so sorry for you and your family. My heart breaks for all of you! There is *nothing* like the love of - and for - a beloved dog. I pray that your sweet pup will pass peacefully, feeling all the selfless love you hold for her.

I haven't read any other replies. I'm a bit of an emotional weakling when it comes to such issues. My dear dog is a 15 y.o. Sheltie whom we rescued just over 9 years ago. I cannot FATHOM our lives without him.

Sending love and best wishes to all of you. Peace!

KrisM
02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm so sorry, Bill.

AJP
02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
So sorry for the loss of your beloved baby. I hope your loving memories of her outlast your grief. There is something amazing in the love our pets give us, but just as amazing is the life and love she received from you. Hugs

jayali
02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Bill,

I am so sorry. As I have said many time before they provide so much joy, but in the end they rip out your heart.

Big hugs to all of you.

Kitten007
02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Bill, sending you and your family tons of hugs. :grouphug:

So sorry. Sending supportive prayers.

jacksmomtobe
02-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Bill,

I am so sorry for your loss. I am in tears and have an ache in my heart thinking of what you are going through. We have a 9 yr old black lab who is my first baby. They are so loving and stand by you no matter what. Your gal looked so sweet in her picture. I'm glad you were able to let her go with dignity that the Vet came to you so that she could be at home surrounded by her family. You are in my thoughts!

kozachka
02-03-2011, 01:23 AM
:grouphug: I am so very sorry that this has happened with your dog. Our yellow lab is 10.5 years old and started having health issues in the last 1-2 years. It is so tough when your 'baby' gets old, and there is not much you can do. You are lucky your vet is coming to your house to take care of your girl. Hope everything went smoothly.

elizabethkott
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Oh Bill, I'm so, so sorry.
All dogs go to heaven...
My condolences on the loss of such a beloved part of your family.

BillK
02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Thank you all again for your support. This has been much much harder on me than I ever imagined it would be. I'm hoping this grief passes soon.

She was with me pretty much every day being the office dog - so my entire routine from wake up to going to sleep is totally different now and it's hard. Much harder than I ever expected it to be.

bnme
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
My heart really goes out to you. Your dog was lucky to have had such a loving companion. Her spirit will always be with you and you were also lucky to have such a great friend. I have a yellow lab who will be 11 soon and I fear this day.

Many, amny hugs
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

MoJo
02-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Pennylane
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
So sorry about your loss Bill. Sounds like she had a wonderful life. :hug:

Ann

brittone2
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
THinking of you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
:hug:

dylansnan
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm in tears reading this. So, so sorry for you and your family. Lots of pt headed your way.

Cindy

heatherlynn
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Oh Bill. :grouphug: I am so so sorry. Unfortunately, I know how painful this can be. My thoughts are with you, your wife, and the kids.

BillK
02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you all again. Actually both the boys are ok I suppose - it's my wife, my girl here at work and me that are bad. Probably just the ages with the boys (almost 6 and 3) and being sort of clueless about the whole thing. Maybe it'll sink in for them in a few days when they realize she's REALLY not around anymore and not just at work (or sometimes my dad's place).

Having brought her to work with me for so long is what's hardest. Almost EVERY customer that walks through the door immediately says "Where's Shasta?" - so it's been rough already for the 2 hours we've been open today. Getting in my truck today and not loading her up and looking in the rearview mirror and seeing her kennel broke my heart. I can't bring myself to take it out yet.

trales
02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Bill,

I am so sorry, we just lost our Newfie. It is really hard. I miss him everyday. I am thinking of you.

peanut520
02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

arivecchi
02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I am so so sorry. :( Losing a pet is just terrible. I love the idea of scattering her ashes in her favorite place. What a loving tribute. Hugs to your family and colleagues.

Ceepa
02-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Again, I'm sorry, Bill. That lost feeling when they're not there and the day is different and everything feels foreign is terrible, but time does help - slowly.

It sounds like she brought joy to the many people who knew her at home and the office.

TwoBees
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm so sorry Bill. :hug:

tribe pride
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm very sorry, Bill. Losing a pet is always difficult. Hugs to your family.

Kira's Mommy
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I am very sorry Bill.