PDA

View Full Version : Wii - "walk it out" video

mackmama
06-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I am inspired by another thread about exercise where someone mentioned this video. I didn't want to hijack the thread but would love to learn more. I know nothing about the Wii and am wondering if it might be a good option for me. How does this video and the Wii work? Are you walking in place? Does the wii plug
into your tv? I read something about a nunchuck and balance board on the video's reviews but have no idea what they are. I'd love something that would help to motivate me to get walking.

larig
06-05-2011, 01:37 AM
I am inspired by another thread about exercise where someone mentioned this video. I didn't want to hijack the thread but would love to learn more. I know nothing about the Wii and am wondering if it might be a good option for me. How does this video and the Wii work? Are you walking in place? Does the wii plug
into your tv? I read something about a nunchuck and balance board on the video's reviews but have no idea what they are. I'd love something that would help to motivate me to get walking.

it's not a video, it's a video game for the Wii console, which plugs into your tv. (like xbox, playstation, etc.)

from wikipedia...

A distinguishing feature of the console is its wireless controller, the Wii Remote, which can be used as a handheld pointing device and detects movement in three dimensions. Another distinctive feature of the console is WiiConnect24, which enables it to receive messages and updates over the Internet while in standby mode.[9]

ETA: if you use a balance board, I think you walk in place on it, which seems not fun to me. We use a nunchuck and you put it in a back pocket and hold the controller in your hand. I could walk around our house (a tiny one) and it still was in range

nunchuck & balance boards are accessory controlers for the wii. they expand the game-play options. They are alternative input devices for the game system.

mackmama
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd love to learn more about the walking video game. If you walk around with re nunchuck, then you have to keep the tv in view right?

larig
06-05-2011, 11:25 AM
not entirely. ours seems to be able to pick up the signal pretty well from off to the side of the tv. I have to do things like walk into the kitchen to get DS something while I'm playing, but if i miss a beat or two it doesn't stop the game. I just walk all over our LR and DR and into the kitchen, and it's fine. mostly I walk in front of the tv to interact with the game--you click on the routes you want to take, features you want to buy for your world (like trees and fountains and bridges, etc). The currency you use is the credits you earn for the steps you take. It does not monitor your weight like wii fit. It's just about getting you moving, and I think it does that well. Oh, and you can use your credits to "buy" more songs, like in other games when you unlock features by making a specific amount of progress in the game.
Does that make sense?

Check this out. It might make more sense. I just found this googling the game, maybe it will explain things better.
http://weightlosstriumph.com/walk-it-out-by-konami-review-a-fitness-game-for-wii.html

Oh, and DH and I do it together. You can cooperate as you're both walking to buy the trees, songs and unlocking of paths.

mackmama
06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok now I think I understand it more. :) thanks! I am now off to price Wii. I'd love it if this game kick started my motivation!

JElaineB
06-05-2011, 11:57 AM
We have Walk It Out and it's a fun video game. It was good for DS to use it to get some exercise with when he played it, though he hasn't played it in a while. I've never really played it myself without him. You can use it with the balance board (walk in place), a compatible dance mat (walk in place) or the wii controller (walk in place or walk around, as the PP said).

However, if you really have no other plans or desire to buy a Wii, you can buy walking DVDs that are probably better if you simply want to walk in front of the TV. I have a number of relatives who've used Leslie Sansone's videos very successfully. Her website is http://www.walkathome.com/.

larig
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok now I think I understand it more. :) thanks! I am now off to price Wii. I'd love it if this game kick started my motivation!

Glad to help. I happen to love video games, and tend to be obsessive about meeting the short term goals in video games, so this really works for me. I will walk way longer playing the game than I would just walking around aimlessly somewhere. When I walk outside, I also like to have a goal/purpose. I walk to the store, etc. Walking to walk doesn't get me off the couch and out of the house as easily as needing to walk to the store to get something.

Nunchucks don't come with all the wii configurations that stores sell, depending on what package deal you buy you may or may not have to buy them separately. Wiis run about $150 for just the system.

justlearning
06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
We have the Walk it Out Wii game and my sons use it with our mat from Active Life Explorer or just with a nunchuck (the mat is better, it seems). They don't like it much (rarely use it) and it hasn't interested me enough to even try it. I can't imagine that it would be that much of a workout--you simply shuffle your feet in place and it records your steps, giving you points to "buy" things on the island like a tree (that appears when you buy it).

I think that walking videos (which I've bought from TJ Maxx for $3) provide a better workout, although the best IMO is on a treadmill (where you can adjust the incline) or outside on hills.

But I should note that I never play with any of our other Wii games either so my opinion is obviously from the point-of-view of a non-gamer.

mackmama
06-05-2011, 06:12 PM
if you really have no other plans or desire to buy a Wii, you can buy walking DVDs that are probably better if you simply want to walk in front of the TV. I have a number of relatives who've used Leslie Sansone's videos very successfully. Her website is http://www.walkathome.com/.

This is a good idea too. I think I actually have one of her videos that I bought a few years ago (and never tried it). I'll have to look for it. The problem is that our treadmill is near a TV that doesnt have a DVD player.

larig
06-05-2011, 07:28 PM
We have the Walk it Out Wii game and my sons use it with our mat from Active Life Explorer or just with a nunchuck (the mat is better, it seems). They don't like it much (rarely use it) and it hasn't interested me enough to even try it. I can't imagine that it would be that much of a workout--you simply shuffle your feet in place and it records your steps, giving you points to "buy" things on the island like a tree (that appears when you buy it).

I think that walking videos (which I've bought from TJ Maxx for $3) provide a better workout, although the best IMO is on a treadmill (where you can adjust the incline) or outside on hills.

But I should note that I never play with any of our other Wii games either so my opinion is obviously from the point-of-view of a non-gamer.

I'm a gamer, so it works. And it's pretty intense if you are actually keeping time with the music properly, and with a nunchuck you can walk all over (that's why we don't use the pad or board). you have to keep the beat to earn points, and they are playing things that are pretty fast in terms of beats per minute. DH and I also have enjoyed Dance Dance Revolution.

justlearning
06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
This is a good idea too. I think I actually have one of her videos that I bought a few years ago (and never tried it). I'll have to look for it. The problem is that our treadmill is near a TV that doesnt have a DVD player.

You don't use a treadmill with Leslie's walking videos. You just need to have a little space in front of your TV to walk in place, do knee raises, etc.