PDA

View Full Version : what's a good, funny book to read to pre-k crowd?

cilantromapuche
06-05-2011, 08:09 PM
You would think that I would know but I can't think off the top of my head and need it for Tues.
Thanks,
c

m448
06-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Leonardo the Terrible Monster. The page where Sam lets it all out is a particularly good part for an agile adult reader.

gatorsmom
06-05-2011, 08:20 PM
My kids love "Caps for Sale." They love to imitate the monkeys waving their fists and stomping their feet.

Another one I love is "Dear Zoo." We talk about what it would be like if the zoo sent them an elephant to live at their house.

Any of the "How do Dinosaurs" books are funny. My twins love the "How do Dinosaurs eat their Food" book. They think it's funny when the dinosaur flings his spaghetti.

There are so many funny preschool books!

Another I like is "When Dinosaurs Came with Everything." Even my Kindergartener still likes to talk about that one.

VClute
06-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Three Nasty Gnarlies - a very cute rhyming picture book

redstone
06-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Some funny books my preschooler likes:

Good Thing You're Not an Octopus by Julie Markes
Simple, easy text with funny pics of animals in human situations: Sharks trying to brush so many teeth, caterpillars trying to put on several shoes, etc.

Dog Breath by Dav Pilkey
More text but a funny story about a dog named Hally Tosis (hee) with really bad breath. Some of the stuff went over my DD's head (kids take dog to a breathtaking view so the dog would lose it's bad breath), but amusing.

bubbaray
06-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Walter the Farting Dog

tiapam
06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
My Lucky Day
Wolf's Chicken Stew
both by Keiko Kasza

Princess Bess Gets Dressed by Margery Cuyler. Tell them to listen carefully for the funny word - underwear.

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

MMMommy
06-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Bark, George

ett
06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Knuffle Bunny

SpaceGal
06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
My kids love Mo Willems books...he did the Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Elephant and Piggie books.

We recently read these and the boys loved it:
We Are in a Book! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
There Is a Bird On Your Head! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
I Am Invited to a Party! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

Pretty funny and cute too.

avd3875
06-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I love "The Cat Who Wore a Pot on Her Head" by Jan Slepian. Each time I read it at DS's preschool the kids were all laughing hysterically. I read it to my adult students each semester and they love it, too. The only problem is that it's almost impossible to find. Every once in a while it shows up in a Scholastic Book Club brochure.

Other popular books in our house:
Mo Willems' Pigeon books
Tikki Tikki Tembo
Caps for Sale
Dr. DeSoto
Chrysanthemum
Laura Numeroff's "If You Give a..." books

jjordan
06-05-2011, 10:47 PM
A couple of our favorites around here -

A Visitor for Bear
The Seven Silly Eaters

robinsmommy
06-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I'll second Knuffle Bunny and Bark, George and add any of the books by Peggy Rathman - Goodnight Gorilla, Officer Buckle and Gloria, and 10 Minutes Till Bedtime. Though the last is funniest in the details of the pictures and would work much better for a group of 4 or less, and where you have time to let them look at the pictures closely.

If it is for a class, Knuffle Bunny has decent pictures that may show up pretty well, and you can act out some of the scenes (by running back to the laundromat, going boneless, etc....)

Call and ask your local library -

1)they may have extra big picture books that work WAAAAAY better for storytimes. Maybe you can borrow one from them. Ditto for schools or teachers that you know.

2)They call also give you a lot of advice. There are classes in college for future kids' librarians with lots of stuff on storytelling that you or I just won't know.....

Not sure what your situation is (a few kids, the whole preschool class, a birthday party.....), but most public libraries have a lot more to offer than people are aware of, which is why I mention it.

ett
06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Thought of another one ... Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type or any of Doreen Cronin's other books.

traciann
06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
The Pout-Pout Fish. So cute, especially if you read with expression!

smilequeen
06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Rhyming Dust Bunnies

http://www.amazon.com/Rhyming-Dust-Bunnies-Jan-Thomas/dp/141697976X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307331392&sr=1-1

Both of mine have had me read it on my reading days and it is always a hit. Even with the kindergarten and 1st grade crowd.

Twoboos
06-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein. OMG, I love it and the kids do, too. THe faster you can read it, the funnier they think it is. (And the more impressed with you they are!)

vonfirmath
06-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Thought of another one ... Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type or any of Doreen Cronin's other books.

I second Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type

Also The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry

lil_acorn
06-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Walter the Farting Dog

wish I knew how to add that "yeah that" icon, but what bubbaray said!

Cam&Clay
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Chester
Too Many Toys
Rhyming Dust Bunnies
I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean

sste
06-06-2011, 11:09 AM
The Monster at the End of this Book (Grover)

I second Pigeon Drive the Bus, especially because it allows "crowd interaction" and you can talk to the kids and have them answer "no" etc.

lowrioh
06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Walter the Farting Dog

I LOVE that book.
Another good one is "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything". My sister who is a librarian reads it to her K and 1st grade class. It has a lot of repetition that the kids can participate with. (two shoes that go "clomp clomp").
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/363973.The_Little_Old_Lady_Who_Was_Not_Afraid_of_A nything

erosenst
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Bark, George
This was a huge hit when I used it.

maestramommy
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Dirty Bertie is hilarious for kids, if you can stop your own gag reflex.
I still swear by Knuffle Bunny

hellokitty
06-06-2011, 04:54 PM

:yeahthat: We love that book! It's so cute and funny. Poor Farmer Brown!