PDA

View Full Version : cost of music classes for infants/toddlers.....(it's that much?!!!!)

AnnieW625
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
:shake:
A friend of mine told me that there is finally a reputable Kindermusik program in our city:boogie: and it's taught by a lady who has a BM in Music Therapy (sort of familiar with this type of thing as my brother's GF is getting her masters in this), and a Masters in trombone performance (cool!), but the downside is that for 5 60 minute classes it's $150. I just about dropped my jaw when I read this. The other options, Music Together, and Applesauce Music (a program run by one lady that uses the Orff method of teaching who is amazing, but does so much business that she doesn't teach on the weekends) don't work with our schedule this summer or are equally expensive.

Granted I work full time and my DD2 goes to daycare full time so I am already paying $900 a month for her to go to daycare so I try to keep the class activity fees to less than $70 a month, but even if I didn't work full time and need full time care would I be crazy in the head if I thought $150 for 5 toddler music lessons was insane?

(FWIW, our Gymboree program also offers music classes for $70 a month and we might look into that in September (we are taking a break right now) and we'll get them for $55 (you get a $15 discount after you've been there a year) but I talked to one mom about the program and she said that she much preferred the interaction in the play classes)

lizzywednesday
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
5 sessions at $150 for the course figures out to be $30/session.

To put it into perspective, a program for toddlers run at a nearby community extension of the music college my high school choral music director attended, is 30 sessions of 45 minutes each, costing ... $532 (classes plus fees)

But ... it comes out to be just over $17 per session.

All the same, I can't afford that much and that's too bad.

However, the local library offers an infant/toddler & parent "music & movement" program for free. (OK, so it's on a weekday morning and I work, but it's something my DH could take DD to ...)

BabyBearsMom
06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
We do the Music class at Gymboree. It is $77/month and it include a free play session in the soft gym once a week as well. I looked at Kindermusik, but the cost and schedule (very few on the weekend) made it not work for us.

TxCat
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
We do Music Together and I think the cost per class comes out to around $20 or $22/class. My jaw dropped when I first contemplated registering for it. But, it's the only activity I think we're doing this year, so I decided it was worth it. I could probably find something cheaper or free, but the time is convenient, the teacher is great, and I've really enjoyed the classes and the other parents/babies (and I think DD likes it too!). So I've decided to make peace with it. I'm not sure how I'll feel later on though.

SnuggleBuggles
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Glad I do t live out there!! $175 for 10 (maybe 12?) 45 minute classes here!

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Do you think it was maybe 6 50-minute classes plus the materials fee? Our classes are roughly $15ish plus there is a materials fee of (can't remember exactly how much, but maybe $35-50ish? includes CDs, books, instrument, parent books, etc). Our teacher is awesome and usually has a wait list to get into the class. If it is 6 classes plus a $50 materials fee, that would work out to $140....so that's close?? We use gift money from grandparents to fund it, as they know we love going to the classes.

AnnieW625
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Do you think it was maybe 6 50-minute classes plus the materials fee? Our classes are roughly $15ish plus there is a materials fee of (can't remember exactly how much, but maybe $35-50ish? includes CDs, books, instrument, parent books, etc). Our teacher is awesome and usually has a wait list to get into the class. If it is 6 classes plus a $50 materials fee, that would work out to $140....so that's close?? We use gift money from grandparents to fund it, as they know we love going to the classes.

You are right, there is a $40 material fee so the classes work out to being $21.50 per class, that's much more like it. I didn't click on her actual class register page:oops:. I think that using money from the grandparents is a good idea. Up until now we've just been putting it in their savings accounts so I don't think it could hurt to use a little of that money for the classes because I think DD2 might enjoy it (as would DD1, but I think I'd do the baby only class first) also so we'll most likely revisit the option in the fall.

deborah_r
06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Wow, I haven't paid $30 per class for anything. I never signed up for any of those Gymboree or Little Gym, or any of the music ones, because it was just too expensive. When I was a SAHM with DS1 and he was under 2, I found free things like library story time and I could even usually find occasional singalongs that were free (some were at PBK) Then with DS2 I feel he gets exposed to all of that at daycare/preschool, so I didn't pay for any classes for him until recently enrolling him in gymnastics. Most of our stuff seems to come out to about $14-19 per class (gymnastics, chess club @ school, science club @ school, and some other things I have priced out). Swimming has been about $11 per class, but only 30 minutes long.

Clarity
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
We got our Kindermusik class to come to our childcare center. It costs us $3.00 per class and runs nearly year round. I think $150.00 for 5 classes is outrageous. We have program that runs here that are music/singing based workshops for ages 4 and up and they run $50.00 for 4 sessions that are 90 minutes in length.

:shake:
A friend of mine told me that there is finally a reputable Kindermusik program in our city:boogie: and it's taught by a lady who has a BM in Music Therapy (sort of familiar with this type of thing as my brother's GF is getting her masters in this), and a Masters in trombone performance (cool!), but the downside is that for 5 60 minute classes it's $150. I just about dropped my jaw when I read this. The other options, Music Together, and Applesauce Music (a program run by one lady that uses the Orff method of teaching who is amazing, but does so much business that she doesn't teach on the weekends) don't work with our schedule this summer or are equally expensive.

Granted I work full time and my DD2 goes to daycare full time so I am already paying $900 a month for her to go to daycare so I try to keep the class activity fees to less than $70 a month, but even if I didn't work full time and need full time care would I be crazy in the head if I thought $150 for 5 toddler music lessons was insane?

(FWIW, our Gymboree program also offers music classes for $70 a month and we might look into that in September (we are taking a break right now) and we'll get them for $55 (you get a $15 discount after you've been there a year) but I talked to one mom about the program and she said that she much preferred the interaction in the play classes)

YouAreTheFocus
06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree--5 classes for $150 is nuts, whether you are paying for other care or not! Music Together is the main one people do around here, it breaks down to $20-$22 based on which session you chose. Even at $10 less/class, this is still a lot for a toddler class!

But my bigger pet peeve is the lack of classes & activities available to working parents. Looking at the Music Together summer schedule, the locations closests to us offer up to 5 different classes per day on weekdays, and NONE on the weekends. Honestly we'd pay any amount to be able to take our son to a weekend music class.

AnnieW625
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Good idea, my DCP tried to get the Applesauce Music lady to come to the daycare before but she was always too busy so I'll have to send her an email and let her know that there is Kindermusik available in our area and maybe she can do the same. She did have a music class a few years ago I paid $30 a month for.

mommylamb
06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Have you checked your local rec centers? Where I live, the rec centers have all sorts of great classes. For comparison's sake, I just looked up their infant music class, and it $69 for county residents for 8 45 minute classes, which works out to less than $9 a class.

SoloMelody
06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
DDs daycare has a music class(30-45 mins) once a week all year round, taught by a teacher who also teaches Kindermusik. I pay $1000/month and it includes the music class, so I dont know what the music class itself costs.

Can your daycare work with the teacher to have her come to the daycare? Which can help subsidize costs for all as you as you not using Kindermusik property? This involves daycare investing in some basic music class stuff (shakers, scarves, balls etc). I believe the music teacher will get paid better with this arrangement, as I know for a fact that Kindermusik keeps a larger portion of what you pay and teachers dont get paid a lot. For example, if u book the music teacher thru kindermusik for a birthday party at home it is $125. Teacher gets paid $50, so $75 is considered rental for dvd player and music toys which I think is too much....

In summer, DDs daycare is more and more trying to do activities for the kids, they negotiate a price and if needed will drive the kids to the location of the activity. We are currently starting 8 weeks gym class for $90( normally $115), daycare will take kids to the gym which is 2 miles away. I know that have done dance classes before for older kids and are planning on soccer end of this summer.

I guess what I am trying to say is can you suggest and work with daycare to take an active role in adding on activities?

infocrazy
06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
But my bigger pet peeve is the lack of classes & activities available to working parents.

Sing it sister! It was impossible for DS1. I haven't even bothered looking anymore for DD--poor thing practically lives at Tball and soccer sidelines!!! It is getting better as the kids are getting older, but only because they have to schedule around school. Our library puts on programs that during the school year are 4:15 (which is still to early for me but it's closer)--during the summer they schedule everything at 11 or 2. Nice, huh? When DD was born DS2 and I did a Tots class at the library during my maternity leave. DD was 3 days old the first class but we still went (she stayed with DH) because I was so excited to ACTUALLY be able to take him somewhere.

If I were more of a risk taker, I'd totally try and start a place that catered to working parents...this is DEFINITELY a market that is being missed. My dream place would serve healthy dinners, then do an activity. :)

PunkyBoo
06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I highly recommend the "Dance for Fun" class offered at LB rec and parks, and I know the teacher usually has a Saturday class. It's not so much learning music, kinda more Mommy and Me (singing, story time, finger play, dancing around the room, etc. Boo loves it!) I just signed Boo up for Applesauce for the summer and it is painfully expensive. But I think he'll really like it. I did it with Punkin a few years ago and he was kinda shy for it. But I'm spending $100-$150 per week for summer camps for Punkin that are 9-12, so I figured Boo should have something really fun, too.

AnnieW625
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I highly recommend the "Dance for Fun" class offered at LB rec and parks, and I know the teacher usually has a Saturday class. It's not so much learning music, kinda more Mommy and Me (singing, story time, finger play, dancing around the room, etc. Boo loves it!) I just signed Boo up for Applesauce for the summer and it is painfully expensive. But I think he'll really like it. I did it with Punkin a few years ago and he was kinda shy for it. But I'm spending $100-$150 per week for summer camps for Punkin that are 9-12, so I figured Boo should have something really fun, too.

Thanks. I have met the Dance For Fun teacher (her older son is about the same age as DD1), and DD1 took the Baby Dance 2 class when she was DD1's age, but she didn't sleep in the morning like DD2. Again will most likely revisit in the fall after city swim lessons are over with.

Applesauce is painfully expensive, but if it was on the weekend or in the evening for a sibling class I'd do it. Suzy is amazing. I took DD2 a few times last summer because she had some free drop in classes for newborns and she came to stroller strides. It's the only activity I have wanted to attend but haven't been able to and would really sacrifice things to pay for. Who knows maybe I will try Kindermusik to see what that's about too.

robinsmommy
06-06-2011, 05:51 PM
My beef with Kindermusik and many of the other classes is the stuff you are REQUIRED to buy when you take the class. CD with songs, ok, I can get that - but the cheap paperback books, cheap toys/musical instruments, and bag to hold it all - every couple months - ugh. More stuff in the house that your child becomes attached to and you have to struggle to get rid of. And it costs a lot, but the quality is usually not great. Not really stuff I would buy myself.

The money must really be in the stuff, sadly. I haven't looked much to see what other alternatives there are, DD still asks to take another (we took some classes before she started preschool).

Take a sample class, but be sure to find out how much it really costs with the "materials" along with the class fee.

I may look into Music Together and see if it has less "stuff". It's not cheap, either, but I might be able to find a class the same time as DD1's violin lessons, which saves time and gas and stress - the local music school offers both.

I wish we had more options here.

maestramommy
06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
When I was living in Torrance Dora was taking Music Rhapsody. Similar to Music Together, but it uses principles and method from Orff. It's a regional franchise, mostly in SoCal. I just looked them up. For the infant class it's $111 for 6 weeks, after the $20 registration fee, and you have to buy the instrument kit for $40. You can also pay $599 for the whole school year, which I guess results in some savings. The toddler class is the same.

I really liked this class because I am familiar with Orff, have my certification in all 3 levels. I also liked how the infants were separate from toddlers, although I would agree at this point it's tougher if you have more than one child at a time. Also, the founder Lynn Kleiner, had all the instruments made by Remo, and they are TOP quality. Really I was impressed. They were better than some of the percussion instruments my students used!

http://www.musicrhapsody.com/School-Year-Classes/

ljackson
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I may look into Music Together and see if it has less "stuff".

The Music Together class that I did just had the CD (two copies of the same one) and a nice (IMO) book with the music and lyrics. I loved it.

trales
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Our rec. dept has music classes - 6 30 minute classes for 32.00. 5.30 per class. They have day, evening and weekend options. One of our local churches also does a music class with a day or evening option for a suggested donation of $2.00 per kid per class.

The private music schools cost what you are quoting, kindermusic, the music school etc.