PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: Portable Entertainment on Plane

Jrwusch
06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
We are flying with our 20-month-old in a few weeks and would like to be as prepared as possible. It's only a 2.5 hour flight and she has flown quite a few times before but she was much less mobile then. Anyway, for this flight, I'm thinking about adding a portable entertainment device to my repertoire. I have an iPod touch, will will be getting an Otterbox case for it. I'm also considering getting a portable DVD player. And here's a possible-stupid-question alert: when your child uses a DVD player (or any other types of devices with sounds) on the plane, does he/she use a headphone?

Anyway, if you have any other portable entertainment device suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks!!

liz
06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes, we use headphones (for DS2) and earbuds (for older DS1). The engines on the plane are so loud. We have only used our portable DVD player, but next time I plan to bring my Color Nook instead. Maybe your iTouch will be enough? Those DVD players are so heavy and take up a lot of room.

larig
06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
skip the dvd player, I think your touch is plenty. DS won't wear headphones, so he listens to it really low (barely audible). It's either that, or screaming kid, so I don't feel too badly.

nrp
06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
I would think that your IPod, loaded with some shows, would be just as good as a DVD player. We almost never get out our DVD player anymore now that we have the Iphone and Ipad. For the plane, you definitely will need earphones. We like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Califone-2810-TI-Stereo-Headphones-Design/dp/B000MUXVZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307397333&sr=8-3

Remember to bring lots of snacks!

liz
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
nrp, those headphones are cuuuute!!

Jrwusch
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
We have a Bose headphone...would that work? Or are there headphones out there designed specifically for young kids?

wellyes
06-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Just put videos on the ipod. Easiest way is to buy from amazon or itunes. I personally move my tivo videos over.

I don't bother with headphones; if you do get them, definitely get her use to them before the flgiht.

DD flew last week watching Angelina Ballerina. The volume was so low I couldn't hear it sitting in the seat next to her, but she was giggling away happily.

liz
06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
We have a Bose headphone...would that work? Or are there headphones out there designed specifically for young kids?

We have some cheap headphones- check out Target or Walmart. No need to break out the Bose for your LO.

SnuggleBuggles
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
If you want DVDs, see if your departure airport rents them. That's what we do now b/c we have had too many battery snafus with our personal DVD player. $15 you get 2 headphones, 2 movies and a ready to go DVD player. YOu drop it off at the airport you land in (usually) or send it back with the prepaid envelope. It's just nice not to lug it all over the place vs taking your own from home.

Beth

kboyle
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Skip the headphones if your concern is other flyer...it's too noisy in the plane to hear it a few seats down...but if your child NEEDS to hear the movie get them. We flew 14+ hrs this past winter and ds3 didn't wear his and didn't mind, neither did ds1...ds2 otoh HAD to be able to hear evey word of his shows so he wore his headphones.

ahrimie
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I just take the iTouch and a cheap pair of headphones.

nrp
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Skip the headphones if your concern is other flyer...it's too noisy in the plane to hear it a few seats down...but if your child NEEDS to hear the movie get them. We flew 14+ hrs this past winter and ds3 didn't wear his and didn't mind, neither did ds1...ds2 otoh HAD to be able to hear evey word of his shows so he wore his headphones.

I tried the first time we flew with DD to not use headphones (she was maybe around 15 months and I didn't think she'd tolerate them), but the flight attendant told us we couldn't have the volume on. No one had complained and I agree that it was unlikely to bother anyone else, but because of that incident, we bought the kids headphones linked above, and both of our kids don't mind them.

Jrwusch
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2011, 09:05 AM
i would probably skip the dvd player (or pack it away in checked luggage)..as PP said, it's a bit bulky and would just be something else you'd have to carry on. i'd probably just bring the iTouch and headphones.

and last time we flew with DS, we let him use our cheaper pair of Bose headphones and he had no problem with it. i guess it depends on the kid...my DS would not be entertained if he couldn't hear the sound on a video clearly. i love love love the bose headphones as they really drown out the outside noise. we're planning on ds use them with an ipod touch for our next flight when he is 19 mo.

indigo99
06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Side question, but does your DC watch videos now? DS just isn't interested, and I've resisted trying to get him interested in tv for the obvious reasons. That would certainly help with our upcoming trip to Europe in a few weeks though.

Jrwusch
06-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Honestly, we have not intentionally exposed our DC to tv either. However, she's definitely interested in phones, gadgets, and computer screens. She loves to push buttons. I'm thinking the ipod touch would be our last resort...after books, toys, snacks, other distractions, etc. I'm just going to download some short clips or toddler friendly apps for her to play around with. I'm secretly hoping that she'll nap (our flight is around her nap time), but if not...we'll just manage the best we can. I mean, it's only 2.5 hours. Hm...at least that's what I'll be repeating to myself during the flight :)

kbud
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I fly with both my touch with shows on it and a portable dvd player. Of course I have 2 kids also but I find the dvd player a much better option. The touch is hard to hold for a video. Although I have seen stands for them that may help. I find my girls like to watch dvd's we already have too. I don't find it very big or bulky at all to have in the backpack. We do both headphones and no headphones. We flew yesterday and bought a headphone splitter to use 2 headphones w/the dvd player but it made it so quiet. We went just using the speakers which I've done a lot and I have to say even with the volume all the way up I can barely hear it sitting right next to them over the engine noise.

We use the touch also but the kids get tired of holding it.

urquie
06-08-2011, 02:47 AM
i would skip the dvd player and just bring the ipod and headphones. after three different pairs of kid headphones, i finally found a pair my kids would wear (all were recommended here). i bought the Kidz Gear Wired Headphones For Kids (http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wired-Headphones-Kids/dp/B0007NWL70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307515096&sr=8-1) for $16,99 shipped in nov. so the price may go down.

2 1/2 yr old dd was not very interested in movies... tv shows were much better. she most enjoyed pics and videos, of herself, on the ipod touch. she wore the headphones on and off... definitely liked them, but didn't want them all the time (we had two 14 hour flights, so she probably needed more breaks).

post-it notes are popular too. :D