PDA

View Full Version : What the heck?!

Reyadawnbringer
06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
UPDATE:

Well, DH took DS to the dentist this morning and as we suspected, there was a cavity. Scratch that- there were 4 cavities. DS has also been biting his left cheek for weeks now and it hasn't had much of a chance to heal. So the dentist checked his bite and he indeed has a crossbite on the left side.

So now DS has an appt mid July to have all cavities filled with oral sedation. We have been slacking a bit on DS's brushing and flossing, so of course I am just beating myself up over this. I seriously swore that my child would never experience the dental horrors I had as a child and still have- and yet here we are. This will be a total of 9 fillings in less than a year. It kills me. It seriously kills me.

On the upside, the dentist asked about me when they went because she is use to me bringing DS in. She told my DH that everyone at the office loves me and DS because DS is always so polite and well behaved and they know that comes from attentive loving parents. She apologized again for the "miscommunication" with her staff, and reiterated that she wasn't taking sides, she just wanted to smooth everything out. She said she does love having us as a patient and would be ad if we decided to leave, but there would be no hurt feelings.

So, anyway, that was it. Just wanted to update on the continued dental saga.

I just called the pediatric dentist office that we have been going to since DS was 1 year old. We have already paid a lot of money for treatment there. When I called just now to reschedule our appointment because I won't be able to get off work in time to get DS's medicaid card (this is the first time we have had to use medicaid at this office and we are only on medicaid because I make so little and am the only one working so we can't afford my company's insurance). I asked if they were open fridays as I have half days on friday and could leave earlier without getting in trouble for leaving and then be able to make appointments better. This is important to us because DS has many many dental issues already.

Well, the recptionist flipped out on me. I mean she lost her schmidt on me and left me in tears. Yelling at me about how she shouldn't have to wait until 8 or 9pm to go home and see her kids because I need them to be open til 5pm on fridays so I can go get my medicaid card. And she went on to say that they work extremely hard monday through thursday and who am I to dictate that they work extra hard just to accomodate me. She went on and on talking down to me and even acknowleged that she was doing it. I told her I planned to file a complaint with the doctor to let her know how her patients are being treated and then she proceded to tell me that she was adding notes to our file saying that we demand that they stay late on fridays to accommodate us going to get our medicaid card.

I am just floored and angry and hurt that I was treated that way. I work over 50 hrs a week with a 10hour weekly commute plus go to school fulltime and she has the audacity to tell me that she works hard enough and when do I expect her to see her children?? Um, how about evenings and weekends like the rest of us! Its not like I am free ride medicaid for them. I have paid through the nose for treatment for DS so far so I can't believe that she treated me like that. She also wouldn't let me speak with the dentist, so I don't know what to do...

MamaMolly
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
OUCH! Dearest, I'd go and speak to the dentist in person. Everyone has bad days but I think she's trying really, really hard to get fired. Shame on her!

MMMommy
06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow. She was way, way out of line. Isn't her office open until 5pm on Fridays normally or are they making special hours that day just for you? Regardless, her behavior was unprofessional. She sounds like she was having a breakdown and must be very unhappy doing what she does. I am sorry you went through this, and I hope the office apologizes to you.

jerigirl
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Speak to the office manager. She was way out of line. I am sorry she took HER issues out on you. :grouphug:

AnnieW625
06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Hugs, you need to find another dentist.

I am glad that you got another job. :hug:

Green_Tea
06-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Holy cow. She is COMPLETELY out of line. I would speak to the dentist IN PERSON about her.

JBaxter
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I worked in the adult portion of an office and the other side of the practice was a ped practice. They would only schedule medicaid patients during specific times of the day. They had a very high no show rate. Medicaid patients were scheduled different the dentist received much less money for the same treatment. They eventually stopped taking it all together. Right or wrong thats how it was handled there.

She wasn't right in speaking to you that way.

TwinFoxes
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Holy cow. She is COMPLETELY out of line. I would speak to the dentist IN PERSON about her.

:yeahthat: I know it will be hard, but honestly, I can't imagine she's going to pass on any message you have. I don't get this at all, I can't imagine you were actually asking them to make special hours for you, you were just checking to see if they have Friday hours, right?

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure you dialed the right number? It's so bizarre, I just wonder if someone is sick of getting wrong calls for the dentist and is having a little fun at her expense. It's probably far fetched, but honestly, so is the receptionist's behavior!!!

Reyadawnbringer
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks ladies. No the dental office isn't open at all on friday. But we live in an area where the main employing industry requires people to work 12 hour days sometimes up to 6 or 7 days a week. You would think they would at least do the best to accommodate the people in the region they serve by being open on fridays. Oh, and when she was griping at me she said she doesn't need our business as people come from 4 hours away to see this dentist. That sounds a little unbelieveable to me. The dentist is amazing, aside from not being open on fridays. But her office staff has got to go.

Globetrotter
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
You need to talk to the office manager. That lady was having a breakdown and venting on you, so try not to take it to heart. You happened to be in her way!

liz
06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
That was completely unacceptable. Absolutely, positively go in person and speak with the office manager or dentist. uh-uh, no way should she get away with that. Show your face, speak calmly and rationally, and hopefully she will learn her lesson. I am so angry for you!! She should NOT be talking to anyone that way.

smiles33
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh, hugs to you! What a completely uncalled for response on her part.

FWIW, DH refuses to bring our DDs to one of the best pediatric dentists in the area because he CANNOT stand the front desk staff. Sadly, some talented professionals just can't supervise employees and let people walk all over them. In this case, if you actually like the dentist, you MIGHT try and stick it out. Either way, you should definitely let him/her know of this terrible experience.

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Let the dentist know. My good friend is a pedo and she would be livid if one of her employees did that. Their office is closed on Fridays, always. I'd reschedule for the following week and expect to take time off. That's what you just have to do for medical and dental visits most of the time IME.

mommylamb
06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree that you need to talk to the dentist about this. There are people out there who are really prejudice against anyone receiving government assistance of any kind, regardless of their employment status. Good for you for doing what's right for your family and keeping them insured. I'm happy to pay my tax dollars to support these services.

Reyadawnbringer
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree that you need to talk to the dentist about this. There are people out there who are really prejudice against anyone receiving government assistance of any kind, regardless of their employment status. Good for you for doing what's right for your family and keeping them insured. I'm happy to pay my tax dollars to support these services.

Thank you so much for this. It is the first time I have ever felt unashamed at having to be on medicaid. I prefer private insurance of course for the very reasons I stated in my OP. I have to physically go down to an office to pick up my monthly card if ours never makes it to us, rather than having a single card that they electronically verify off.

That being said, our private insurance through my company is over 600 a month in premiums. Coupled with 600 bucks in gas to get to work and the 800 dollars rent and that's basically my whole paycheck. We hope to have a better solution soon, but for now this is our only option for keeping DS insured (which is a must because of all his health issues).

Fwiw, I called on the lunch hour like I was instructed and spoke with the dentist (I know it was her because she has a very distinctive voice). Anyway, the dentist pretty much defended the office worker. Said that she has never had a complaint on her yet and she is a very good worker so she is sorry I felt like I was slighted, but we are welcome to remain patients if we so choose.

Ugh. I hate living in a small town where our only other options would be 3 hrs away...

MommyofAmaya
06-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank you so much for this. It is the first time I have ever felt unashamed at having to be on medicaid. I prefer private insurance of course for the very reasons I stated in my OP. I have to physically go down to an office to pick up my monthly card if ours never makes it to us, rather than having a single card that they electronically verify off.

That being said, our private insurance through my company is over 600 a month in premiums. Coupled with 600 bucks in gas to get to work and the 800 dollars rent and that's basically my whole paycheck. We hope to have a better solution soon, but for now this is our only option for keeping DS insured (which is a must because of all his health issues).

Fwiw, I called on the lunch hour like I was instructed and spoke with the dentist (I know it was her because she has a very distinctive voice). Anyway, the dentist pretty much defended the office worker. Said that she has never had a complaint on her yet and she is a very good worker so she is sorry I felt like I was slighted, but we are welcome to remain patients if we so choose.

Ugh. I hate living in a small town where our only other options would be 3 hrs away...

We have a great dentist in Houston if you end up needing a rec.

mommylamb
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

That's really unfortunate, but I'm not too surprised. I wouldn't further burden your family by going to a new dentist if the only options are that far away, but it would suck to have to suck it up and go there. Sorry. :hug:

BDKmom
06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Good for you for calling back and speaking with the dentist, even though she took up for the person. I work in a medical office, and I often find that patients complain to the other staff about issues they have, but never let the doctor or the office manager know, and they are the ones who make the decisions. So, maybe she's never been complained about to the dentist, but I'm sure this is not an isolated incident, others just probably didn't take the time to let someone know of her behavior. Maybe this will at least put them on the lookout for other bad behavior.

TwinFoxes
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
That's really unfortunate, but I'm not too surprised. I wouldn't further burden your family by going to a new dentist if the only options are that far away, but it would suck to have to suck it up and go there. Sorry. :hug:

:yeahthat: OP, I'm sorry. That really sucks. But at least the dentist now has one complaint, so the next time someone calls to complain she might pay attention.

karstmama
06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
*never* feel bad about using medicaid! if i hadn't had it while ds was in nicu for 7 1/2 months with his end bill being $975,000, i'd never be solvent again! IT IS THERE TO BE USED BY PEOPLE WHO NEED IT.

the rules for it can suck, though. we had to go 3 hours one-way to the ped dentist while he was on it though i'd have been happy to pay out of pocket for a local one, because that would be fraud.

wellyes
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM

This is what Yelp is for.

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
This is what Yelp is for.

Very good call!! I know I read reviews on there and I would be interested to hear that.

I'm sorry this happened. :(

Beth

Sillygirl
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
It sounds as though the dentist doesn't really want your business while you're on Medicaid. Not the right way to go about it at all, but it's hard for me to blame the dentist entirely - the reimbursement for Medicaid patients is pathetic. I lose money on every Medicaid patient I see.

I'm not at all defending the rude staff member; it's the dentist's response that makes me think they want you to leave.

Reyadawnbringer
06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
It sounds as though the dentist doesn't really want your business while you're on Medicaid. Not the right way to go about it at all, but it's hard for me to blame the dentist entirely - the reimbursement for Medicaid patients is pathetic. I lose money on every Medicaid patient I see.

I'm not at all defending the rude staff member; it's the dentist's response that makes me think they want you to leave.

If they don't want to see medicaid patients then they shouldn't accept medicaid. I have paid a lot of money to this dentist in the past so its not like I have been costing them money by being on medicaid. Sad that I am treated with such disparity between the types of insurance I carry, even though this is likely the only time they would have seen us while on medicaid.

W/e, I am still very upset about this and angry that I was dismissed as such. She really is the best in the area and I guess I was naïve to expect any level of service above what I received.

Melaine
06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
*never* feel bad about using medicaid! if i hadn't had it while ds was in nicu for 7 1/2 months with his end bill being $975,000, i'd never be solvent again! IT IS THERE TO BE USED BY PEOPLE WHO NEED IT.

:yeahthat: If it weren't for Medicaid, we would be saddled with debt for life from the NICU. I am so thankful we qualified for that assistance, and I don't mind telling anyone about it. If people judge, well, they are welcome to reimburse Medicaid for the $70,000 in NICU debt.

Sorry about your experience. She sounds like she had an absolutely horrible day and cracked under the stress, responding very badly to a normal request. I wonder if she feels bad about how she treated you?

MamaInMarch
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Couldn't read without posting. I am incredibly sorry that you were treated that way. You work hard to support your family and I firmly believe that situations like yours are exactly what assistance was designed to do. You should not be ashamed that you are using Medicaid to cover your son while you are not able to buy your work's insurance.

I work in healthcare and live in a very poor state with a lot of people who are on Medicaid. I realize from experience that - as a generalization - the assumption is that Medicaid patients can be difficult and the reimbursement is abysmal. That is 100% no excuse for treating a patient the way you were treated. Everyone should start on ground zero and be given the same chance regardless of their insurance. I am appalled and embarassed as a healthcare worker that you were prejudged.

R2sweetboys
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
:yeahthat: I am too!! I seriously HATE the stigma that comes along with receiving government assistance. You and your family are the people that this system was built for. You are working, and very hard at that. It's just not enough, yet you and your family deserve health services just like anyone else. I'm glad that you don't feel ashamed because you shouldn't. I am floored that this receptionist treated you like a second class citizen because of it. That is discrimination plain and simple. I'm also very disappointed in the dentist's response. That's fine that she's never received a complaint but there's always a first. Did she say that she would address it with the employee or did you get the sense that she did not believe you? If it is the latter, unfortunately, I would not wish to return there. Are there really no other options in the area? I'm so sorry that you were treated so rudely, it is unacceptable.

I get what you're saying Sillygirl, but I don't know that this is very helpful to the OP. It sounds to me like you're justifying the dentist not wanting the OP as a patient because she is currently utilizing Medicaid. Having worked in the health-care industry in the past, I do understand that it can be frustrating dealing with the Medicaid reimbursement system. If a physician doesn't want to deal with it, they shouldn't accept it. I do believe that there are good physicians out there(though not enough) that are willing to accept Medicaid, despite the hassle, for the greater good. If the OP's dental practice views it's Medicaid patients as less than any other patient, they need to limit themselves to private insurance/payment. It disgusts me to think that a person utilizing Medicaid would be treated with such disrespect.(I do understand that you would not do this)

sweetsue98
06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I am so sorry you were treated poorly! Here are things I have learned over the years in medical and dental sales about doctors....fantastic at what they do but not always the best at communication. Some have outgoing personalities and some not so much. Everyone has bad days and you may be surprised nex time you are in the office (that is if you decide to continue being a patient there) that the recptionist may apologize to you.

Reyadawnbringer
06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Update in OP.

liz
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
UPDATE:

Well, DH took DS to the dentist this morning and as we suspected, there was a cavity. Scratch that- there were 4 cavities. DS has also been biting his left cheek for weeks now and it hasn't had much of a chance to heal. So the dentist checked his bite and he indeed has a crossbite on the left side.

So now DS has an appt mid July to have all cavities filled with oral sedation. We have been slacking a bit on DS's brushing and flossing, so of course I am just beating myself up over this. I seriously swore that my child would never experience the dental horrors I had as a child and still have- and yet here we are. This will be a total of 9 fillings in less than a year. It kills me. It seriously kills me.

On the upside, the dentist asked about me when they went because she is use to me bringing DS in. She told my DH that everyone at the office loves me and DS because DS is always so polite and well behaved and they know that comes from attentive loving parents. She apologized again for the "miscommunication" with her staff, and reiterated that she wasn't taking sides, she just wanted to smooth everything out. She said she does love having us as a patient and would be ad if we decided to leave, but there would be no hurt feelings.

So, anyway, that was it. Just wanted to update on the continued dental saga.

Awesome (well the part about your dentist)! I am really glad to hear your update.

Here's a big:grouphug: for you and DS. Sorry you are all dealing with the cavities etc.