PDA

View Full Version : Is Kindermusik worth it?

lhafer
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
What is Kindermusik like? What age were your kids when they did it? Did you like it?

AnnieW625
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I just posted a Kindermusik post yesterday, http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=400814.

One of my childhood best friends was a Kindermusik trained teacher in college and post college (Santa Barbara) and as soon as I had DD1 she said I needed to sign her up for Kindermusik, she really believes in the program. Until now we haven't had Kindermusik as an option in my area so I haven't been able to do it, but now that it's available and I think that my girls are at the perfect age for it I really want to try it for them because I trust her judgement when she says something is good, and a worth while activity. We will most likely go to a trial class after summer because I still really want to check it out. I too love that there is a family class and it will work out great for us because DH is taking classes for his pro. engineering license every other Saturday, plus will be out of town for two weeks in September so it will be easy for me to take the girls to one location.

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
We started DD at 8m as it was something that I couldn't easily provide. I'm not very musically inclined. We have really enjoyed it over the years, and we've done Village, Our Time, Family Time a bunch, according to which kids were the right age for the class. Mostly Family Time the past few years because it was one of the (blessed) few activities that I was supposed to bring my two differently aged siblings to.

We are likely going to sign DS1 and DD up for the Imagine That and Music for the Young Child, although with DS2's morning class, it means I'll be going back and forth THREE times in one day. I do think it is that worth it, though.

robinsmommy
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I dunno. I think SOME music classes are worth it, but most depend on the teacher, just like any other class. Kindermusik is the same thing - some teachers are great, and temper the "marketing" stuff, and others leave much to be desired as teachers but make great salespeople.

I did post in the other thread about hating the "stuff" that comes with Kindermusik. I am going to look into other options, but the Music Together is almost as much - $195/10 weeks OUCH!

I will say that I did not care for how, um, high-faluting some of the Kindermusik songs on the cd's are :bag - not quite operatic, but well, it's not folk music the way some of those songs are performed. Classically trained singers showing off their skills and high range isn't my style for kids' music. I can just picture them in the studio, wearing a prim dress with hands crossed in front of their torso as they enunciate... ("It's Our Time to Sing Together" really comes to mind here) And there is one song on one of the cd's that goes "All the day long I'm singing my song......" sung by a group of kids at a truly manic pace. Drives me nuts.

My favorite kids' cd's do not have any songs I feel compelled to skip the track on, but the Kindermusik all have one or two that drive me NUTS. I much prefer Old Town Music or Raffi.

So, yep, I am very critical, but if I have to listen to it all the time in the car, on the CD player or from a kiddos' vocal chords, it better be good music.

lhafer
06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I just posted a Kindermusik post yesterday, http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=400814.

One of my childhood best friends was a Kindermusik trained teacher in college and post college (Santa Barbara) and as soon as I had DD1 she said I needed to sign her up for Kindermusik, she really believes in the program. Until now we haven't had Kindermusik as an option in my area so I haven't been able to do it, but now that it's available and I think that my girls are at the perfect age for it I really want to try it for them because I trust her judgement when she says something is good, and a worth while activity. We will most likely go to a trial class after summer because I still really want to check it out. I too love that there is a family class and it will work out great for us because DH is taking classes for his pro. engineering license every other Saturday, plus will be out of town for two weeks in September so it will be easy for me to take the girls to one location.

I read that thread - which is what got me thinking about it!! :) I didn't see a whole lot of people post about Kindermusik, but realize that it's for those with much younger kids.

I put my DD1 in Little Gym when she was around 3 years old, and I saw a marked improvement with her gross motor skills. I want to do something like that for my littlest one - but not that just yet. I thought something like Kindermusik would be great for her.

I need to figure out what's offered in my area!!

KpbS
06-07-2011, 01:39 PM
We love Music Together but don't have any classes anywhere near us :( One year we did Kindermusik and it was ok. I love the music of Music Together, the multicultural aspect, and feel that it has a bit of a more educational approach than Kindermusik. Of course, a lot depends on the instructor--I would definitely recommend sampling a class if you can before committing $$$.

hth

Jo..
06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
My experience was NO.

The materials (cheap mirror, cd, a couple of crappy props) added a lot to the class cost.

I had DS in one class and never looked back. To me it was a huge ripoff.

Pear
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
For us it has been worth it. My main motivations are some time spent around other kids and getting used to a class structure. It is helping DD get over her shyness and to follow instructions from someone other than me. Her teachers have been very nice. The music aspect seems decent, but it really isn't my main focus, just a side benefit. For a 2 year old it is really just the social experience.

ahisma
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
We had a frustrating Kindermusik experience. After trying 3 different sessions / teachers, we left.

We tried Music Together and loved it. We're now ending our 11th session with them - 3 years.

I'd try demo classes of each and see which one resonates more with you.

lhafer
06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I looked into Music Together and the closest one to us is 35 miles away - about a 40 minute car trip one way. Can't do that.

Kindermusik is the only thing (music related) that is near me. There's a Kids in Action but it's more gymnastics to music (at least for the 3-4 year olds anyway). Not sure what their toddler classes are like.

hellokitty
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
In general, these kind of preschool music programs are IMO overrated and a rip off. Unless the teacher is fantastic, our experience has been that a lot of kids are not able to completely pay attn to the entire class. Plus, I had one teacher who was downright awful. I've found that our library story time is a great, free, alternative. They do a little, "music" time in btwn stories (twice) and let the kids pick out instruments to march to around the room. The kids' attn spans are so short at this age that it's pretty much a waste of $ to pay for any sort of formal program and yes, I admit that I did the mommy and me swim class and the music classes and I look back now and just feel like it was a waste of $.

waitingforgrace
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
We went to kindermusik village when DD as a year. We only did the one session b/c then it was spring and we had other things we wanted to do on saturday mornings. I thought the class was pretty decent but $$ as all of them are. Our DD really enjoyed all the instruments and the whole class. We're probably going to do it again this next fall/winter.

lhafer
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
In general, these kind of preschool music programs are IMO overrated and a rip off. Unless the teacher is fantastic, our experience has been that a lot of kids are not able to completely pay attn to the entire class. Plus, I had one teacher who was downright awful. I've found that our library story time is a great, free, alternative. They do a little, "music" time in btwn stories (twice) and let the kids pick out instruments to march to around the room. The kids' attn spans are so short at this age that it's pretty much a waste of $ to pay for any sort of formal program and yes, I admit that I did the mommy and me swim class and the music classes and I look back now and just feel like it was a waste of $.

We do the library story time already. It's okay - but not the experience I'm looking for.

brittone2
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
My kids were terrible in the car in infancy (particularly my older 2). I preferred hanging out with mommy friends elsewhere. I invested in some basic, decent-quality instruments for my kids when they were young toddlers, along with things like dancing ribbons, play silks, etc. and I've never felt we missed out on anything.

I do not play an instrument and cannot sing on key to save my life, and I have 0 musical talent, so I may be sentencing my children to the same fate via my slacker mom tendencies when it comes to classes for young kids.

maydaymommy
06-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I have done classes of all sorts with dc as infants and beyond, so I do like and find benefit in them.

I am not a fan of KM. Another poster called it "high-falutin'" and that gets at one of my issues with it. I find the music & song choices to be inaccessible to children. I'm all for covering a wide variety of musical styles. But KM misses the boat.

In my area they were all taught by older "church ladies." Very prim. Lots of yodeling.

I am fortunate to have been able to try out different classes. Makin' Music, Music Together, and an independent one in my area called Sally's Music Circle are all better.

robinsmommy
06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I have done classes of all sorts with dc as infants and beyond, so I do like and find benefit in them.

I am not a fan of KM. Another poster called it "high-falutin'" and that gets at one of my issues with it. I find the music & song choices to be inaccessible to children. I'm all for covering a wide variety of musical styles. But KM misses the boat. "

I am glad it wasn't just me.....

mousemom
06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm actually trying to decide right now if KM is "worth" the money. We were fortunate to be able to attend two sessions (Fall and Spring) of Kindermusik through our state's early intervention program. It was part of DS's therapy for a speech delay. All we had to pay was the materials fee for each session. At that price, it was absolutely worth it. We will be moving/leaving the EI system and I'm trying to decide whether to continue or not.

We had a good KM teacher and the class was far better than the free library story times we had previously attended. Those classes were big, chaotic, unstructured and DS never really paid attention or participated. He would just sit back and observe. In KM, he was almost always paying attention, trying to follow whatever movements we were doing. He had several songs that he would request at home. He liked that there was a structure to the class, so he always knew what to expect and it helped that he saw the same people at each session. By the end, when we sang the goodbye song he would walk around the circle and wave goodbye to each child. The class definitely encouraged his communication skills and interaction.

There were certainly other kids who did not seem to get as much out of it. Very few kids paid attention the whole time, but even then most enjoyed parts of it at least. Most kids also got more involved as they attended more classes. So, the first class or two they might just run around and seem like they weren't paying attention at all. But each class they would participate more. It also seemed to get better as the kids got a little bit older (around 2-2.5) and could really take part more.

Even though we liked it, I'm still torn about continuing at the full price though. It is just so expensive for a toddler activity. But I am leaning towards doing it again next year.

KpbS
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Another vote for library storytime--ours is wonderful! They sing, play instruments, read books, have puppets, crafts, etc. and it is free! If you have a couple of libraries to chose from, check out the different programs and story leaders. There is a lot of variety out there.

MamaInMarch
06-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Whether you choose Music Together, Kindermusik or what ever program is in your area, I am a firm believer in music education from the very beginning. We started DS at 6 months old. It has been worth every penny. Look around for a good teacher that you and DC like and do it!!

MamaSnoo
06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I have had limited experience with Kindermusik. DDs teacher who comes to the daycare is Kindermusik, and we have gone BD parties at her studio. She seems very good. I did not realize you had to buy so many products, and I have not heard their CDs.

We do The Music Class (http://www.themusicclass.com/Index.aspx), which started in ATL, but has other locations nationally. Our teachers have been great, and the exerience has been good for DD. She does struggle with sitting and listening, and sometimes does not want to participate (she just watches instead of walking in a circle for example), but she sings all the time at home. I also noticed that her expressive speech and enunciation have improved with the classes. Her imagination sees to be developing more too, as she makes up new lyrics to the songs to fit her interests or play themes. Maybe all of this would have happened without the classes, but I do think they helped. Plus it is fun. They do not try to sell you any extra stuff; they just encourage you to sing at home, listen to the CD, and use any instuments (real or improvised) that you may have already. I like the CDs so far/they have a more folksy sound (like real ppl, but with good voices) and they have real kids singing too.

Just one more option.

candaceb
06-07-2011, 10:50 PM
KinderMusik is the only class our town's park and rec. dept. offers for DS's age group. It's five minutes from our house and that is one of my major motivators for continuing. We just don't have much stuff around here. I think it is worth it, but I think our classes are less expensive than in some other places - $95 for 8 weeks.

There is no pressure to buy the "stuff". The teacher sends out an email before the first class and then mentions it at the first 1-2 classes of the session. I have never bought the kits from her, but I have found the CDs on ebay for less than $5 shipped and then we just improvise "instruments" with stuff we already have when we listen to the CDs at home. We don't need to bring anything to class - she provides it.

gobadgers
06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
We've had a great experience with Kindermusik, and a lukewarm one. I think it all comes down to the teacher. The instructor in our current town is all about interacting with the kids and engaging them and we really love her.

We've taken the baby class, family class and DD just took the preschool class. The preschool class had lots of home activities and was my favorite so far.

We've also taken Music Together and WiggleWorms (at the Old Town School of Folk Music) - yes, we are music nuts. We moved away from the WiggleWorms, and Music Together has not worked with the schedule, but we really liked all of them for different reasons. They were both much more folk music than Kindermusik, but I do not find the Kindermusik music too stuffy or inaccessible. There is a lot of variety in musical styles, which seems like the whole point to me.

lilycat88
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
In our experience with DD, yes, it was worth it. She was in Kindermusik classes from 15 months-3 years. When she was 3, she started the Harmony Road program. www.harmonyroadmusic.com (http://www.harmonyroadmusic.com) In my opinion, it's far superior to any other program for actual musical training. DD was in Harmony Road group classes from 3-6 1/2 and then moved to private piano lessons. Theory, ear training, solfege singing, and keyboard is included. At almost 7, she can transpose into 4 keys and absolutely loves music.

Smillow
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
A local toy store had a kindermusik teacher come in & do their storytime last summer. She was so low key and all about talking while the kids just sat there, I knew it was not for us. I would have been very upset had I signed DS up for it & found out how lethargic an activity it was! I do think it was the teacher, though!

sste
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
It is all about the teacher IMO.

We don't do kindermusik but a similar program. I know all the teachers and will only go to certain, stellar ones. Usually programs will let you sit in once for free and I would use that to preview the particular teacher your DC will have.

Toba
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I signed DS up when he was 18-24 months old. We both hated it. I was having back issues at the time and the constant getting up and down from the floor was KILLING me. DS had no interest in singing or dancing. The only thing he was interested in was the bubble maker that the instructor used every week. I spent a lot of money and it didn't work at all for us; we stopped going after about a month. I did buy him a bubble maker though! LOL