PDA

View Full Version : Longest you've been away from home?

Edensmum
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
We are considering a trip that would keep us away from home for close to two months. What do we need to consider about leaving the house for this long? We can stop or forward mail. Do we turn off the water? What else?

joules
06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I haven't, but my neighbor has.

Be sure to disconnect your car battery. She was gone for months and the battery was totally drained.

LMPC
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I think it depends on what time of the year you will be away as to what you should do. Think about what types of things would make it look like you weren't home...for example, if it snowed and your driveway wasn't shoveled. My mom lives in Manhattan 4 months out of the year, and she has her mail forwarded to the other address without any problems. Do you have someone that can periodically check on your place...or stay a few nights? I keep an eye on my mom's place (about 25 minutes away)...move her car every once in a while...peep in to make sure all is well.

Sounds like a great opportunity! I would love to close up shop and go away for that long!!! GL with the planning!!!

jenmcadams
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
You might talk to your Home Owner's Insurance about it...sometimes they have requirements if the home is vacant. We have friends who just left for 6 weeks to Europe and they had the water turned off to their house (although the sprinklers will run) and they emptied and turned off fridge/freezer.

daniele_ut
06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
The longest we've been gone is 8 weeks and we've done it several times. We always have felt more comfortable with a house sitter when we are going to be gone that long. Several of my co-workers who also travel for extended periods have told me stories of broken water pipes, leaky water lines to refrigerators and other issues that made me feel better having someone in our house on a daily basis.

hellokitty
06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Our neighbors across from us are snowbirds. They are gone for months at a time. I would ask someone else (maybe other snowbirds), what they do to prep their house before they leave. I'd also find either a family member, or someone you trust to watch your house while you are gone. Maybe do a walk through every few wks, etc., to make sure there aren't any issues that arise.