PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone having trouble with biting gnats?

gatorsmom
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Greenbean seems to be particularly attractive to some kind of bug. He has tiny little bites behind his earlobes on both sides of his head, around his hairline, on his face and on his collarbone. They don't look like mosquito bites. These are red and oddly shaped. Some have a tiny little white dot in the middle. He says they itch. Could they be gnat bites? They seem to be all over us when we are playing outside. Nothing seems to help them get less red or itch less. And every time I look at him, I swear he has 3 new bites.

Sis spends just as much time outside and she has a a fraction of the bites HR has. Any ideas?

firemama
06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I haven't had any issues with gnats, and I don't know if I could tell what a gnat bite looks like. So no BTDT experience. I did just order Bug Stuff Lotion (http://www.purpleprairie.com/itemdetail.php?sku=BGSF4&prod_group=The+Great+Outdoors) from Purple Prairie and plan to use it this summer. It says it also helps with the itch from bites. And it comes in a spray too. I have also heard good reviews about Badger, but haven't tried it either. Good old Benadryl cream or spray might help relieve the itch too. I have used this in the past on myself and it works great. Mosquitos love me. HTH!

BeachBum
06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
We use Avon "skin so soft" body oil instead of bug repellant. Gnats are terrible!

Puddy73
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Sand gnats are unfortunately a part of life around here - they are even the mascot of our minor league baseball team. Their bites look like small flat red spots and they are itchy. We use benadryl and cortisone cream. Gnats are particularly attracted to hot sweaty people. Insect repellent helps somewhat, but fans and smoke pots are the best way to keep them away.

maestramommy
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Black flies? They are tiny, like gnats and plentiful during the month of May, a bit into June. On me they leave tiny hard little bumps that itch insanely. Last night I had to take a Zyrtec because the itching was driving me crazy. I'm probably lucky though. Some people get huge welts that last for weeks.

I use hydrocortisone cream on the affected area. Usually it works pretty well, but last night was particularly bad.

czekit7
06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I wish I had read this before posting. I'm going to purchase some Avon Skin So Soft now...but I hate to wait on an Avon delivery. My 17-mo DS doesn't seem to be bothered by the bites on his bum and legs; guess it bothers me more.