PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Teacher Gift Monogram

alien_host
06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
A few of us are organizing a gift for the teachers. We were planning on giving LLBean Tote bags w/ a monogram.

However we are limited to 10 characters. We wanted "Mrs. Lastname" but all of the teachers have longer names.

WWYD? We'd rather not do a first name b/c the kids know the teacher by Mrs. Last Name. Would just the Last Name be OK? We don't know the middle initial.

Maybe I'll do a poll.

Melbel
06-07-2011, 11:25 PM
For the holiday gifts, we monogrammed Lands End totes with just the teacher's last names (we did not know middle names or an initial monogram would have also been nice). Our pool bag (also a Lands End tote) also has just our last name. This seems to be the norm here.

ETA: THe bags were very well received and I see the teachers using them. I scored personalized bags for about $12/each, so it was not a big investment. I was the HR mom, and we used the bags to hold all of the gift cards from our group collection.

iaam
06-07-2011, 11:55 PM
If you can't do initials, I would go with no monogram. Last name would raise privacy issues for me.

sariana
06-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I say skip the monogram. While you may think this is the perfect gift for the teachers, they may choose to pass it along to someone else. And as iaam pointed out, some people don't like to display their names for all to see.

TwinFoxes
06-08-2011, 06:16 AM
I would skip the monogram too. I think the chance of re-gifting is high (sorry! it's a great gift, but she may have gotten one from each class before as well). I've never met anyone IRL who doesn't get monograms out of safety concerns, but that's one possibility too.

If you really want to do a monogram, I'd go with last name. You never know what nickname someone might go by in their non-school life, so I wouldn't do first name.

BeachBum
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
I did these for DS teacher this year. I just asked them for their monogram.

FWIW, it was very well received.

hollybloom24
06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I would do full monogram or first and last initial. I have a million of these bags and in all honestly, I believe you can't have too many. I use them for everything.

Canna
06-08-2011, 08:51 AM
As a former teacher, I'd prefer just last name.

A1icia
06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
DH teaches third grade. He would be very happy with this gift and would want our last name. I on the other hand would beg for giftcards, consumables or just notes/handmade cards. He has gotten so many wonderful gifts over the years BUT they fill up our house and trust me at this point whatever it is he's already got one...

Neatfreak
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
If I were giving or receiving a tote as a gift, it would be a personal touch like a monogram that would make it special to me. If nothing else, first letter of their last names?

BabyBearsMom
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
What about doing Mrs. X Where X is the first letter of the last name?

Roni
06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
How about "Mrs. X" or "Miss Y"?

I agree with PP who said that you can never have too many bags and that personalizing it makes it special.

Edited to add that I just noticed the post above me, and great minds think alike!

alien_host
06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I can get free monogramming at LLBean and the other parents want to do the monogram. I figured if the teacher has the bag they can take the monogram off without too much difficulty or give it to another relative!

I thought about Mrs. X, but the kids don't call them that, otherwise I would totally do it. I know some parents that go by Mrs. X or Mrs. Y and I do think it's cute, but it doesn't seem relevant for these teachers.

I'm leaning towards just the last name since a lot of you seem to think that is acceptable.

FWIW, we are also giving gift cards with the bag (and beach towels) so it's just part of the gift. Since it is a group gift we prefer to give an actual item plus the remainder in gift cards.

Thanks for the input!

jenstring95
06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
What about #1 Teacher? Too hokey?

clc053103
06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I did this too, I had another teacher find me her middle initial and did full monogram. My other choice would have been just last name, figuring she could use it as a family bag for pool, each, activities with her own kids.