PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotic allergies

mackmama
06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
For those allergic to the penicillin class of antibiotics, have you successfully taken a different class of antibiotic (with no allergic reaction)? If so, which antibiotic?

ahisma
06-07-2011, 11:44 PM
DH is severely allergic to amoxicillin and spent 10 days in the ICU as a result.

He can take any other penicillins without a problem.

Incidentally, although there is apparently not a genetic factor, both boys have reacted to amoxicillin.

ThreeofUs
06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm allergic to the penicillin class, and I can take almost any other antibiotic. Except erythromycin, which I can't tolerate....

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm allergic to the penicillin class, and I can take almost any other antibiotic. Except erythromycin, which I can't tolerate....

Same with me only Keflex also makes me break out in hives. Erythromycin...ugh. :( They almost didn't switch me off of it despite my all day throwing up ("normal reaction") and even though clindamycin works well for me.

Beth

firemama
06-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I am allergic to penicillin and have had no problems with levaquin, tetracyline or azithromycin (zithromax), isn't that the z-pack? I could be wrong. Anyway, these were fine.

pinkmomagain
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a penicillin allergy. I do very well on Leviquin, Zithromax...I won't take Bioxin because it ripped up my stomach, but no allergic reaction.

MontrealMum
06-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm allergic to penicillin and am usually prescribed either sulfa drugs or erythromycin-type. Some of the newer erythromycin have been horrible on my stomach/intestinal tract, but they work fine and I haven't had any allergic reactions. That's a known side effect with them.

WolfpackMom
06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Im allergic to Cipro and Keflex, but I can take other penicillan and amoxicillan based stuff. Weird!

BabyBearsMom
06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I can take Arythromiacin (spelling?) and tetracycline. I am allergic to Penicillin, Amoxicillin and horribly allergic to Cypro.

zag95
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Zithromax.

mackmama
06-08-2011, 11:03 AM
This is great to hear. I had an allergic
reaction to augmentin and sulfa. My doc told me I might now be allergic to all classes of antibiotics - which seemed odd but concerning to me. Glad to hear this hasn't been the case for others.