PDA

View Full Version : Gate-checking a stroller with connecting flights (and short layover)

mackmama
06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I will be taking two connecting flights soon and am wondering how this works when gate-checking a stroller. We will have a short layover between flights, so I am nervous that we could miss our connecting flight while waiting for our stroller. How long does it usually take to get your gate-checked stroller back?

I'll be gate-checking my Bee and will also be removing the wheels and bagging it, so that will add even more time if I aim to use the stroller between gates (which I think I need to do).

Anyone else BTDT and have any advice?

Neatfreak
06-08-2011, 01:30 AM
We've waited as long as 15 minutes (a very large jet for an international flight), and as little as five minutes. It's usually 6-8 minutes for us, though it feels like a lot longer when we're standing around on the jetway!

georgiegirl
06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Sometimes it is there by the time I get to the jetway (where I left it). I've rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes, and I've probably flown 20 times with a stroller. It's usually in the 3-5 minute range. I've never bagged my strollers before. Once they did lose my gate-checked stroller (and car seat), but that was way back in 2006. Good luck!

crl
06-08-2011, 08:04 AM
We asked for our stroller to be delivered between flights but you can ask for it to be transferred directly to the next flight. We waited about ten minutes.

Catherine

GvilleGirl
06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
We are usually the last ones off the plane, but still wait a few minutes. I have had it though when we have bagged it (in the red gate check bags) that it was still sent down with the rest of the luggage. Not the end of the world with one kid at the end of my destination, but with two on connection I probably would have freaked out!

geophne
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
I have only had to wait once or twice when getting off the plane, but as PP said the one time I had a nicer stroller and bagged it at the gate they put it in with the regular luggage and I didn't get it back at the gate. Again, no big deal for me with one kid and no connection but now I know that can be an issue with a bagged stroller that is supposed to be gate checked.

vonfirmath
06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
We asked for our stroller to be delivered between flights but you can ask for it to be transferred directly to the next flight. We waited about ten minutes.

Catherine

The one time we had the stroller transferred directly to the next flight, it disappeared. We didn't have it at the end of the trip, and it was finally delivered out to the house we were visiting the next day!

candaceb
06-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I have also had my gate-checked and bagged stroller sent out to oversize luggage - and that was at my connection, not my destination! It had to be retrieved by a staff member since we couldn't go through security to get it, and no one knew if it was actually on the connecting flight until we got to baggage claim and I let out a scream (literally) when I saw it pop up on the belt. That stress was not worth it and I vowed that I'm not traveling with my Uppababy Vista again.

On a different flight, I had a short connection time and I was traveling alone unexpectedly due to the death of my father. The Uppababy Vista is tricky to get in and out of the bag and DS wasn't sitting independently at the time. I had to get some random woman to hold him while I got the stroller into the bag at the gate, and then at the connection I knew I didn't have time to get it back out, put it in before getting on the plane, and get some lunch. I ended up schlepping through Baltimore airport with DS in the Ergo, dragging my stroller behind me in the bag (with wheels on), a large carryon over my shoulder, and carrying the car seat in a gate-check bag in the other hand, plus my big wool coat.

So, my advice would be that if there is any way you could get an umbrella stroller that goes in a red gate-check bag, that is what I would do rather than stressing about your Bee. Plus be sure that you have a carrier so you're not screwed if the stroller gets checked through and doesn't show up at your connection.

longtallsally05
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Hmm...I'd think twice about removing the wheels from a gate-checked stroller if you have a short layover. Buy a cheaper, more compact umbrella stroller if you have to. You never know if your first flight will be delayed, further shortening your layover. You'll want the stroller to be ready to go the minute you see it. Unless I'm the last person off the plane (easy to do if you're the only adult travelling with two kids under the age of 6, lol) then I'm usually waiting about 5 minutes or more for my gate checked stroller. Due to flight delays on the first leg of my journeys, even when I've popped DS into the stroller and raced off to the next gate, I have been the last person on the connecting flight or even missed my connecting flight and had to wait for the next flight.

mackmama
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much for the replies. I didn't know you could have the gate checked stroller transferred to the next flight- although I'm not sure I want to take the chance that it wouldn't make the connecting flight. Ahh what to do. It sounds like I should leave the wheels on. Maybe I also shouldn't bag it? We need to take the bee unfortunately this time.

mariza
06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I asked to have my BJCMicro double checked all the way through from our departure gate to our final destination. It never made it, they said their weight and balance was over and that's why they didn't load the stroller. We got it the next day, but it was a rough first day at Disney without it! I would just keep the wheels on and not use the bag so you have it ready as soon as you need it. As I stated in another post, you can call the airline and ask for a "meet and assist" at your connecting gate. A skycap will be waiting as you get off your first flight and help you get over to your connecting flight.

ijopint
06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I had a connecting flight and gate checked the stroller.did not have any problem waiting for the stroller. stroller was there at the same time they had the wheelchair for people who needed them. but that was when I was using a cheap umbrella stroller for DS. I am sure you will not have problem.

mackmama
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I stated in another post, you can call the airline and ask for a "meet and assist" at your connecting gate. A skycap will be waiting as you get off your first flight and help you get over to your connecting flight.

Does a skycap help carry your stuff or just tell you where to go for your connection?

firemama
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Does a skycap help carry your stuff or just tell you where to go for your connection?

Aren't these one of those over-sized golf carts (higher powered of course)? They usually drive elderly people from security to the gate, right? It helps to load all of your carry-ons, stroller, etc. and get between gates (for your connecting flight) faster.

mariza
06-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Aren't these one of those over-sized golf carts (higher powered of course)? They usually drive elderly people from security to the gate, right? It helps to load all of your carry-ons, stroller, etc. and get between gates (for your connecting flight) faster.

Pretty much this, except not all airports have the electric carts. They might meet you with a wheelchair, but you don't have to sit in it. You can place the kids in it or pile it up with your bags and walk alongside.

YouAreTheFocus
06-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I had no idea you were supposed to give instructions when gate checking a stroller. We are only ever on connecting flights, and our gate checked stroller has always been returned to us at our final (2nd) desination. We've been on SW & United.

longtallsally05
06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I had no idea you were supposed to give instructions when gate checking a stroller. We are only ever on connecting flights, and our gate checked stroller has always been returned to us at our final (2nd) desination. We've been on SW & United.

My gate-checked strollers have always been returned to me at conclusion of the flight for which I checked it (near the aircraft door, at the end of the jetway). The only exception to this was when flying ANA, they always fussed with me about gate-checking strollers, so annoying. ANA always wants you to check your stroller with your luggage and use their airport strollers instead. It sucks because once you leave Japan, you don't have acess to a stroller for the rest of your journey. I have always needed my stroller to get between gates when travelling with kids & carseats.

crl
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM

We were asked and chose to have to delivered for the connection. But we did have to wait for it and for a few minutes they were saying it had already been taken to be transferred to our next flight, despite our request.

Catherine

mackmama
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
To make things simpler (in some ways), I've decided to check the bee as luggage in the big padded transport bag. I'll wear DC through the airport.

firemama
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Pretty much this, except not all airports have the electric carts. They might meet you with a wheelchair, but you don't have to sit in it. You can place the kids in it or pile it up with your bags and walk alongside.

Where do you ask for skycap assistance? Curbside or security?

ETA: and how do you arrange assistance at the airport when you arrive?

mariza
06-08-2011, 06:58 PM
You can ask curbside, or when you check in at the ticket counter they will call for you. At a connection, they will need to know ahead of time, so either arrange ahead by calling the airline or inform them when you check in at your first point of contact with the airline. Security does not have anything to do with this type of assistance anymore (before 9-11, they did when it was all contracted by the airline) but now that security has been Federalized they are do not. HTH!

firemama
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Mariza!!

mariza
06-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks Mariza!!

Anytime :)