PDA

View Full Version : I want my old neighbors back!

94bruin
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Our old neighbors were ideal - they had 2 daughters, the youngest only a few months younger than my oldest. They were close friends, knocking on each other's door whenever they were free. In any case, they moved away one month ago.

I was excited to hear from the owner of the house that a family with three boys were moving in. It turns out that the oldest will be in the same grade as my oldest, the middle will be entering Kinder and the youngest is 3 mos.

Now I understand free-range parenting, but the two older boys are out there in the front yard All.by.themselves. I hardly ever see mom come out. I know she has the 3 mo old, so she's tired/occupied. But it's a new neighborhood, I would at least stay out there with them until I was sure it'd be okay for them to be out there by themselves. But that's just me.... silly me.

They play between the median between the two homes. We've got two fruit trees - one a plum. I don't know what they were doing, but they knocked the plum tree one day that a LOT of unripen fruit fell off. So DH had a talk with them. My mom, who takes care of DD2, saw that they were trying to dig up these stones that we have in the median.

Well, yesterday, they came through the side yard gate and were prowling around our backyard (as if they were playing spies or being cats, or just trying to lay low?) In any case, they saw me see them through the back window and they ran out. When I went outside, the middle boy lied to me and said that they weren't in our backyard.

Oh how I miss our old neighbors.

I'm willing to give them a pass this one time, but if I catch them in my backyard one more time, I think I need to have a talk with mom.

What would you do? Am I turning into that mean old lady next door? Yikes!

BabyBearsMom
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Not really a great solution, but can you lock your gate?

TwinFoxes
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Eh, being in the front yard doesn't bother me at all. I assume they feel they checked out the neighborhood enough before they bought their house...they probably wouldn't have bought it if they thought their kids wouldn't be safe.

The other behavior would annoy me. Is it possible they could think the trees are on their property? I totally agree, if you can lock your gate, do it. Hopefully they'll find other things to keep them busy and they'll stop trespassing. I don't like the thought of unsupervised kids in my yard...if they got injured you might be at fault, plus they might break something.

bubbaray
06-08-2011, 12:30 PM
If she doesn't monitor her kids and they roam the front yard, oh well, her problem. If they come into your yard, particularly your back yard, you have every right to deal with it how you see fit.

We lock our gate -- to keep kids off our large playstructure (not that we've seen neighborhood kids on it, but I wouldn't put it past our nasty neighbors). We also lock our gate to keep our dog in.

GL!

artvandalay
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
My 2 boys play in front of my house all the time. We live on a cul de sac and get virtually no traffic in front of our house, though. I leave the windows, doors open so I can hear them/see them if I am inside. They do not go onto our neighbor's property, though. I peek on them every few minutes.