PDA

View Full Version : Hypo-thyroid Q- weight gain = need new RX?

SammyeGail
06-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I have been on the same dosage of Synthroid for at least a year. I suddenly gained about 10 lbs in 2+ weeks. 18 since Feb. We did relocate but my eating habits haven't changed.

Went to endo Fri., he speculated I will need higher dosage, finally got in today to get bloodwork done.

It may be Fri., or Mon before endo gets results, I'm really wondering if my thyroid is the reason for this sudden weight gain. Its really depressing, or more like I'm mortified!

Any help from other thyroid med. takers, much appreciated!!

AnnieW625
06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I have gained weight overnight after eating out more than once a week and then additionally inadvertantly cooking something like store bought pasta sauce which is full of added salt and then it takes a few days to go back down and I severely limit my salt and I feel so much better.

I have no BTDT with thyroid experience though. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
That's what happens to me when my meds are off. I finally got on a new dose and it's like "oh, my diet and exercise really does mean I can lose weight!". I was starting to get miffed that months of good habits was not being reflected back to me. In the past 3 weeks since the dose has been right things have been good. The weight gain was the reason I went to have my thyroid tested 2 years ago. Nothing had changed diet or exercise wise, unless for the better counts!!, but I was gaining weight.

Beth

tiapam
06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I have been on the same dosage of Synthroid for at least a year. I suddenly gained about 10 lbs in 2+ weeks. 18 since Feb. We did relocate but my eating habits haven't changed.

Went to endo Fri., he speculated I will need higher dosage, finally got in today to get bloodwork done.

It may be Fri., or Mon before endo gets results, I'm really wondering if my thyroid is the reason for this sudden weight gain. Its really depressing, or more like I'm mortified!

Any help from other thyroid med. takers, much appreciated!!

it can def be the reason. are you having any other symptoms pop up right now? i feel like my test results lag behind my symptoms so i try hard to notice what is going on so i can report it. your move may have aggravated your condition, sort of like a re-trigger. have you see the stop the thyroid madness website? i think you could benefit from the info there:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

randomkid
06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Definitely could be your thyroid meds need to be increased. Weight gain is usually my first sign, then I start feeling tired. Actually, I have an appt next week because I had started gaining a bit and now I'm feeling more tired. Sometimes, it's hard to tell when your routine is off, but it's always good to be checked. It's been very busy for us with end of the school year events and I haven't been eating all that well, but I am not one to usually gain weight suddenly unless my thyroid is off. Once my meds are adjusted, I start to lose the extra pounds. It takes a few weeks, but my pants suddenly get looser!