PDA

View Full Version : What are the options when one loses a smartphone?

arivecchi
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
My sitter lost her new smartphone today. :( She just got in January and has a 2 yr contract with AT&T.

What are her options? I am trying to help her figure out what makes sense.

TIA.

marit
06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
She can search ebay for non-contract new phone. The listing mentions which network it works with.

larig
06-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I take it she didn't have a locator app, like findmyiphone?

I'm guessing she'll have to get a new phone with no subsidy.

ETA: I was going to suggest ebay too--I bought an unlocked phone years ago from someone on ebay.

jiggaman
06-09-2011, 02:03 AM
I believe her cheapest option is that she can purchase a Go Phone (AT&T's pay as you go phone) and just replace the SIM.

So first she needs to go to AT&T and get a new SIM card (and get the old SIM canceled)

She can then purchase a Go Phone since it has no contract (not as nice as her smart phone but can be gotten relatively cheaply)

Place the SIM in the Go Phone.

I'm not 100% sure that this will work but I've heard people have done it.

georgiegirl
06-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Craigslist maybe? I think people are always getting rid older smartphones to upgrade.

arivecchi
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I will look on ebay for her. She had a brand new iphone 4 that she worked very hard for. I feel so awful for her. :( Thanks for the ideas. We will probably replace it for her.

Jacksmommy2b
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I believe her cheapest option is that she can purchase a Go Phone (AT&T's pay as you go phone) and just replace the SIM.

So first she needs to go to AT&T and get a new SIM card (and get the old SIM canceled)

She can then purchase a Go Phone since it has no contract (not as nice as her smart phone but can be gotten relatively cheaply)

Place the SIM in the Go Phone.

I'm not 100% sure that this will work but I've heard people have done it.

I,ve done this a few times and never had a problem!

arivecchi
06-09-2011, 11:27 AM
How can she wipe out the information on her iphone?

AnnieW625
06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Would the Iphone for $147 at Wal Mart work?

Penny's Pappa
06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
How can she wipe out the information on her iphone?

If she had the Find My iPhone app she can remotely lock, locate, or wipe her iPhone from the Web.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

larig
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
If she had the Find My iPhone app she can remotely lock, locate, or wipe her iPhone from the Web.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

:yeahthat: every iphone owner should have and use it. It's also great when I'm out--dh knows where I am. You can track the phone in real time. I love it when DH was out hiking and I was supposed to meet him somewhere. Install it on your ipad too, arivecci--you can track an iphone with the ipad, in case your DH lost his.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

AnnieW625
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
:yeahthat: every iphone owner should have and use it. It's also great when I'm out--dh knows where I am. You can track the phone in real time. I love it when DH was out hiking and I was supposed to meet him somewhere. Install it on your ipad too, arivecci--you can track an iphone with the ipad, in case your DH lost his.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

I am not a huge fan of tracking software, but if I ever get a smart phone I am getting something like this. That's invaluable IMHO.