PDA

View Full Version : S/O How much Do you Spend on Classes/Activities for Yourself?

vejemom
06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
The thread on kid's classes got me thinking. I started doing Mixed Martial Arts training this spring. I love it, and pretty quickly progressed to the combat level jiu jitsu class. A friend was interested in it and asked me about the price. When I told her, she was horrified and said that she would never spend that much on herself. The program costs $180 a month, and you can do up to 7 hours of classes a week. Most of the traditional karate studios in this area charge $90 a month for one class a week.

I don't want to start something that causes bruised feelings with this thread. More, I just wondered if I am out in la la land with what I spend on myself. For background, I work PT and make pretty decent money, hubby would be considered a high earner, but for the occasional train wreck he and his ex concoct. The training is an incredible workout. I'm in really good physical shape, and this is one of the few things I can do that really gets my heart and respiration level up. I also need a lot of exercise to keep depression in check.

As far as other activities are concerned, we do have horses, but they are as
much for other family members as they are me. And we live on a farm, so I care for them myself. DD#1 danced, but now wants to do riding camp this summer. DD#2 seems like she might go that way when she gets a little older. Stepson rides. DD#1 wants to do FFA or 4-H as her other activity next year. (Such a different life than I had growing up!)

egoldber
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
The most "extravagant" class/activity I have done for myself recently (and it was a couple years ago) is personal training. I worked out with a trainer weekly for about 6 months and it made a huge, huge difference and I consider it some of the best money I have spent.

Before kids I used to take sewing and quilting classes all the time and even go on weekend long sewing retreats. Now, not so much LOL!

jenmcadams
06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
I spend the following:

$65/month: Trainer (I share with 6-7 other women and we meet with the trainer in someone's basement gym 2x per week at 5AM)
$55/month: Individual YMCA membership (I use this to swim/spin)
$50-100/month: babysitting to facilitate cycling; I'm training for a long race and I do a 5-6 hour bike ride 1x per week. During the school year, I do it when kids are in school, but now that summer is here, I sometimes pay for a sitter if I can't work out a swap with a friend. I leave at 4:30 or 5:00 AM and then the sitter shows up at 7AM and DH leaves for work. I get hom b/t 12-1

wellyes
06-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Our family gym membership is $200 month - including my classes, kid classes, DH's membership, trainers for both of us, great babysitting.

One of the basics of parenthood is that a happy, healthy mom is crucial to a happy family. So fooey on her.

I wonder if your friend would be OK with the charges if they were for a makeup and hair coloring?

DietCokeLover
06-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Hmmm, well, that would be ZERO.

Jo..
06-09-2011, 07:45 AM

:yeahthat:

I work out with a friend to exercise dvds, and swim at another friend's pool. That's my cheapskate version of a gym membership.

Melaine
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
$60 for the family Y membership and hoping we don't have to drop that for financial reasons. That is it, and that is the only thing we've done since we got married on anything like that. I do love martial arts, I did it through highschool, but there is no way in heck that I would pay that much per month for anything other than food or shelter, just to be honest. It's absolutely fine that others do, but we are in a very low income bracket and basically scraping by, recently picking up debt. I am hoping that I can get in to the dentist to get a root canal finished. That's what our money is looking like right now....

mytwosons
06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
$60 for the family Y membership and hoping we don't have to drop that for financial reasons. That is it, and that is the only thing we've done since we got married on anything like that. I do love martial arts, I did it through highschool, but there is no way in heck that I would pay that much per month for anything other than food or shelter, just to be honest. It's absolutely fine that others do, but we are in a very low income bracket and basically scraping by, recently picking up debt. I am hoping that I can get in to the dentist to get a root canal finished. That's what our money is looking like right now....

:yeahthat: Except it's only a single membership at our gym ($40) because I need it to keep the depression at bay.

clc053103
06-09-2011, 08:35 AM
$200 family gym membership that includes kids fitness, gymnastics and discounted swim.
tennis- $120 a month for weekly group lesson, $60 a month for league play.

I think Both parents should be entitled to an individual activity that is within their financial means, it's important to pursue things for your own fitness and enjoyment. Even if it's a walking club or book club that is free!

khalloc
06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
$0

I work all day so I am out of the house from Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm. I dont really have time for classes. A couple of years ago I did take a photography class at night once a week for about 6 weeks. I think it was like $100 max.

I work at a college so I am able to use the gym facilities there for free. So I do that most weeks and also can take the fitness classes there for free if I want to. Sometimes I do Zumba.

vonfirmath
06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

About $20/quarter for bible study materials plus the occasional babysitting money when my husband can not keep our son. Maybe $150 in babysitting/3 months for everything we do outside of childcare?

I don't have any problem with folks who have the money spending to do activities for themselves (as long as they are also spending time with family and kids). But that kind of money would be financially ruinous to us. So yeah, given no background information about your family, etc. I'd be flabbergasted at spending that much money on an activity for myself.

KrisM
06-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Nothing right now. I've done things in the past, but not in a few years.

vejemom
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Huh. I didn't think it too weird. We are in a high income, high COL area. FWIW, it is something that I could actually make money doing if I decided to fight semi-pro, which I could probably do in about a year.

Maybe friend was surprised because I'm fairly cheap in other areas. Make all our bread, baked goods, laundry detergent and cleaning supplies. And I raise and butcher most of our meat.

I think perhaps she doesn't realize how much she does spend. She does zumba and spends a lot on restaurant meals because she doesn't cook, lots on clothes, etc. She's a wonderful friend, too! I was just surprised that she was surprised, because I think I'm in line with what most of the rest of our parent friends are doing.

boolady
06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Zero. I wish I did, because I wish I had an activity other than work and home, but I don't and I don't know when I'd do it even if I found something I wanted to do.

cvanbrunt
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Hhhmmmm, probably a lot if I were to add it all up. I do Pilates three times a week. One mat class, one duet, and one private session each week. I buy "packages" of each of these separately. So, mat classes are about 10 bucks each, my duets are 35 each and the private is 45 bucks. So what's that? Ninety dollars a week. Plus I'm doing instructor training which was a good hunk of money. But, I'm in great shape, setting a good example for my girls, and we are lucky enough to afford it. I see this as money well spent.

mommylamb
06-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Not a lot. Our HOA fees include a pool and gym, so I take advantage of both of those, but I'd have to pay for them even if I didn't. I'm currently taking a yoga class through our HOA that I have to pay extra for, but it's only $40 for 8 weeks, so $5 a class. Before yoga, I was taking zumba at the local county rec center for about $9 a class. It's hard to fit in even once a week exercise class and other gym time, so I don't feel the need to do more.

cvanbrunt
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
FWIW, it is something that I could actually make money doing if I decided to fight semi-pro, which I could probably do in about a year.

And I raise and butcher most of our meat.

Wow. I'm a little afraid of you. :) I think you qualify as a bad ass!

Your friend is silly. Fight on!

marie
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
OP, I don't think it's weird at all.

My activities:
I spend $21/week to go to Pilates.
I am also involved in community theater which costs me nothing except gas money.
I recently started taking voice lessons again and that is expensive (it's actually a bargain compared to what I was paying years ago in Boston). I've felt guilty about that money but I'm very happy taking the lessons.
Sewing - averages to about $20/month on material and notions.

DH buys a season's pass for skiing - that's over $1000. There are associated costs with skiing - new helmet this year, new goggles next, etc. Plus he bought a new-to-him road bike this year.

We manage to arrange all of our activities so we don't need sitters so that's a help cost-wise.

Seitvonzu
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
i *do* spend money on myself occasionally-- but not in the "classes" way. that's more of a time/childcare issue, and honestly, the thought of 200 a month to something fitness related is depressing to me ;) but i'm not an exercise junkie, though i have been on fitness kicks before and understand that it can be a great natural high :)

if i was going to do classes it might be something like photography (but i'd need a better camera...), gardening (we belong to a garden- that was my birthday gift and each time we go it's gas (50 miles each way), lunch, etc), maybe knitting classes (though i'm self taught and self conscious about it, so that probably keeps me from improving)...honestly though? i find enough to spend money on without picking up new hobbies ;)

that said- i wouldn't feel bad about your class...i do think it sounds pretty reasonable for all the reasons you described- fitness, mental health, your income level, etc. my general feeling on stuff is "people find money to fund their priorities." whether those priorities make sense to me is another thing entirely, but at they very least--it's not like your taking food out of your babies mouths to be happy.

bisous
06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
That's more than I could afford but we are in major saving/paying off debt mode. Your situation is obviously entirely different!

You mentioned that working out hard, with this martial arts program, can help keep your depression at bay. I'm here to mention that when DH and I had premarital counseling it was $150 a SESSION. $180 a month is CHEAP compared to that.

Do what works for your family!

For us? I'm not in anything right now. I'm a library home fitness video/apartment cheap gym and pool user. I've done ballet classes through our local community college and it was $30 for 16 WEEKS of 3 hours classes. Without a doubt THE best bargain ever.

I'm going to do it again in Jan. when I've recovered from this baby!

KrisM
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll add that although I don't spend anything on me right now, I don't think it's weird to do so. For me, $180/month would be too much, but that's our personal finances. If you like it and can afford it, why not?

twowhat?
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, I just spent $40 for 4 tennis lessons from the city rec center, just for fun. Otherwise I haven't spent anything since I was pregnant.

eta: these are 1 hr evening lessons - a leave the girls at home with DH type of deal. Anything longer or more than that I probably couldn't swing.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
right now, nothing. after i had DS, it was about 6mos before i felt ok enough to do anything. there was a groupon for my favorite pilates studio so i jumped at it. i loved being able to do pilates again. i think it was like $50 for 4 classes or something. of course 1 month later i was pregnant again, so that ended pretty quick (i get horrible morning sickness for the first 20 weeks, and i didn't feel like spending most of the class trying not to puke in front of everyone).

nowadays, i'd love to start doing Pilates again. or take a photography class. it's just so hard though, with a new baby who wants to nurse all the time and no family around to help...it's just not gonna happen for another few months at least. it can get pretty pricey really quick if you factor in babysitting costs. also, i'm still working on getting enough sleep at night!

lizzywednesday
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I spend next-to-no money on classes or activities for myself on a regular basis.

OK, I spent $15 on a score plus gas & other travel expenses to rehearse for my alumni chorus's Carnegie Hall gig recently, but it's maybe $150 over the past 6 months, so I barely felt it.

I really want my gym membership again, though. It's hard for me to manage stress without some sort of outlet; the gym was great. Unfortunately, we can't afford it anymore.

sunshine873
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Melanie, talk to your YMCA about reducing your monthly fees. The Y is all about providing services for everyone (regardless of income.) Seriously. I just signed up at ours & they mentioned a few times that we could get lower membership rates if we qualified (I was actually quite surprised at the income amount that would qualify for lower rates.) Check it out!

KpbS
06-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Nothing right now. I need to get some regular exercise built into my schedule though. DH and I belong to one of those $20 a month gyms but he is the only one who goes. I'd like to find someone who wants to walk with me and find a yoga/pilates class.

artvandalay
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Zero right now.

We have a treadmill, so I either run on that or run outside. (Granted the treadmill wasn't cheap, but there is no monthly expense and we've had it for a few years now). For other exercise, I have some Jillian Michaels DVD's that I use (with weights). I am not a pool person, but occasionally we go to my sister's place and use her pool.

If I can secure a babysitter this summer, I might think about tennis lessons, and would pay for that.

Honestly, I don't have a problem paying for exercise/gym/classes as long as you use it. It's your body, your health and your mental wellness. I have a friend who has been paying for a gym membership for 3 years and has gone to the gym maybe 6 times total.

I'd rather my money to go exercise than something like a manicure, pedicure, etc. because exercise is important to staying healthy.

ETA: I wanted to add, OP I think what you are doing sounds really cool and fun. I don't think that sounds overpriced if you can do it up to 7 hours a week and also live in a high COL area. I think it's important that you find something fun that you enjoy (especially if you are a sahm) to get you out of the house and preserve your sanity. I am really thinking about tennis lessons now. I played a little in high school and I always found it fun.

niccig
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
A lot if you consider I'm back in grad school. It's at a state college and full-time tuition is $5500 a year, then books, parking, aftercare/babysitter for DS for afternoon/evening classes.

I don't have to retrain, I could stay in my old field, but this will be better long term, and DH is fully supportive.

I've been doing pilates group class 2x a week for last month and I have one more month on my gift certificate. It'll be $99/month. I also started zumba and that $12 a class - I'm going once a week when I can. It is a bit to spend, but I'm getting fit and healthy and think this is the exercise for me - trying to get in best shape I've ever been. I'm going to ask for gift certificates for birthdays etc.

DH has a monthly massage because of back problems associated with sitting at computer all day, so that's his thing.

AnnieW625
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Gym membership: $60 total a month for both DH and I
Stroller Strides: $100 for 10 classes (I haven't had to renew this since October since I only go every couple of Saturdays; will be renewing in a couple of weeks)

I am thinking of adding some Pilates classes and the base package is $150 (for not sure how many lessons, I think 5 or 6). I have my initial workout a week from Saturday. I am going to use my birthday money to fund it.

I used to pay about $150 every 6 to 8 months for 20 yoga classes, but after the last time (6 mos. PP DD2) they gave me a weeks notice to use 10 yoga classes before they expired I got a little ticked off at them and didn't renew. Granted I should've known how many I had left, but I hadn't been in a few months and I had gotten the classes when they were on sale so it was about the same as what I would've paid for 10 classes it was a wash, but I was still irritated that I didn't get a months notice.

For fathers day I am going to give DH a month's membership to a local kick boxing place. He used to do it before we moved to So Cal and I really want him to go again he just hasn't done it yet (and it's been 6 yrs!). He's gone at the gym a few times, but the schedule never seems to work for him.

WolfpackMom
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
$10 a month for the gym - just started last month and only plan to use this during the summer, once its cooler out Ill go back to $0 a month. But, I dont think that youre getting a bad deal considering the number of classes you can take, if you have the time to actually take that many and make it worth the $.

HonoluluMom
06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
$0. I've done things in the past, but right now can't really afford it.

ellies mom
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I sew and knit so I do buy supplies for that but it comes in fits and spurts. As far as activities. Nothing right now but as soon as I get a job I'm going to sign up for a tap dancing class. And maybe saxophone lessons.

Melaine
06-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Melanie, talk to your YMCA about reducing your monthly fees. The Y is all about providing services for everyone (regardless of income.) Seriously. I just signed up at ours & they mentioned a few times that we could get lower membership rates if we qualified (I was actually quite surprised at the income amount that would qualify for lower rates.) Check it out!

Thanks, we do qualify, and $60 is the reduced rate. I think regular price may be $75, I can't remember. I have thought about getting a part time job there, but it's just hard to schedule time for that right now. If we could just go a couple months without unscheduled expenses, then we will get back to a less stressful situation. We have just had a lot of traveling, huge car bill, medical bills and dental bills all sort of hitting us in the last few months that have been totally stressing DH out.

maestramommy
06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
The one activity I currently do for myself is handbell choir at church, and I hire a sitter for Laurel. I hire the sitter for other hours during the week, but for 90 minutes/week I'm doing this organized activity/ministry.

Shep is my exercise. We got him for $375, and we now have his maintenance costs. Does that count? :tongue5:

We are not members of a Y or gym, but I just heard that starting in Sept. childcare hours at the Y will be extended to all office hours, instead of just family time. So I wonder if we should reconsider because a 2 couple family membership is around $70/month.

I would love to take a sewing class and learn to sew for real, instead of doing these jerry rigged projects. I have a refurbished 30+ year old Bernina, and I feel like I could get a lot more out of it if I knew how. But so far I haven't been able to track down a sewing class in my area that has compatible hours.

R2sweetboys
06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I was spending about $60 for 6-8 week sessions with a women's running group for a while. I need to get back on that! OP, it sounds like what you're doing is great for you both physically and mentally. It sounds really cool actually! And, you save money in many other ways that you've mentioned. Your finances allow for it so don't worry about it for a second. You don't have to justify it to anyone.

06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Right now--nothing, but we're on the waitlist for a family gym membership--$300 a month and I can't wait. Two and a half hour child care per day. Ninety-five percent of the classes are free (only reformer pilates costs) and this includes classes for the kids. We have 9 guest passes left and I'm rationing them carefully until the fall.

Christine W

trales
06-09-2011, 02:23 PM
$20 per week in babysitting so I can play tennis. $500 for the summer pool membership, included tennis for DH and I and swim lesson 3x per week for DD, + hours of entertainment. $35 per month for DH tennis club (indoor).

In the winter $200 each for DH and I for x-country ski pass.

GaPeach_in_Ca
06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, I don't really take any classes.

But, I do ...

have lunch out almost every day - $50/wk
pedicures/manis - maybe 1/month $60/month
go out for dinner/drinks with the girls - $50-100/month

I do run and recently got new running shoes.

We do belong to a gym/pool, it's $150/month. That's for everyone, though, so I don't count it as mine.

OP, I think you're fine. If it fits in your budget, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

hillview
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Nothing for the last 6 years. In the last 3 months I signed up for a bootcamp for 9 sessions a month for $195 a month for a year! I signed up for yoga pay as you go (about $16 a class) and I am going to somewhere from 0-12 classes a month depending on my work travel schedule. My company pays for my gym membership (which until these last 3 months, I have not used). So suddenly I am paying a lot more but it is totally worth it. It is working -- I've lost 15+ lbs and about 5 inches so far.

/hillary

MamaSnoo
06-09-2011, 04:56 PM
pre-kids and pre-WOTH FT, I did some art classes and some fitness stuff and yoga......now........drumroll: $0 for classes.

I probably spend <$150/year for supplies for craft projects (crochet/cross-stitch, moasics, sewing, the like). I did more of this when DD was a tiny infant, and less now that she is a busy-body. It might be much less than $150 a year at this point.

MamaSnoo
06-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Nothing for the last 6 years. In the last 3 months I signed up for a bootcamp for 9 sessions a month for $195 a month for a year! I signed up for yoga pay as you go (about $16 a class) and I am going to somewhere from 0-12 classes a month depending on my work travel schedule. My company pays for my gym membership (which until these last 3 months, I have not used). So suddenly I am paying a lot more but it is totally worth it. It is working -- I've lost 15+ lbs and about 5 inches so far.

/hillary

Just wanted to also say--- WOW! You go, Hillary!

bubbaray
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Um, nothing. I have no time.

I pay $120/m for a family YMCA membership, but never (and I mean never) use it.

kijip
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
It's not just the fees, it is the supplies and gear for some sports and activities.

4 day a week Fitness Bootcamp: $80-175 per 4 week session depending on the time of year.

Roller Derby: $90 registration fee for 3 months at a time, $6-12 a week in open skate time fees, $5 per week for co-op practice skate times, $25-50 per hour for private skate lessons (on my own I decided I wanted some personal help from a couple of amazing skaters). But the big cost here has been gear: skates, pads, helmet, wrist guards, custom mouth guards.

Gym Membership Near Work: $28/month Includes yoga and many other class options.

hellokitty
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I have tried to take art type of classes before and just can't get it to work with DH's schedule.

For working out, I do stroller class, it's about $36 for 8 classes a month. Right now in the summer, they charge extra for older kids to do a biking one day and for, "school in the park" on two of the other days during class.

I try to do zumba at least once a wk, but in the past few months, I have been lucky to go 1-2x a month. It's only $2/class, but she had to increase her price for $4/class for the summer, b/c the school is closed for the summer, so the church she's doing it at is charging her to rent the place. I run several times a wk on my own around the neighborhood if DH's schedule allows it.

I'd love to take some more arts and crafts type of classes. I want to learn how to do felting and would love to learn how to knit/crochet, but the classes are at really weird times, like in the middle of the weekday. Maybe when the kids are all in school, I can take something.

Starfish
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
For a really long time, nothing. I work 40-50hrs a week and I would always feel guilty if I didn't spend any of my free time with my kids.

Last year, I joined the gym ($90/month) but unfortunately, I don't use that nearly as much as I would like. I definitely feel much better after using the gym, but I find it so hard to balance that with all the other demands I have going on.

Just signed up for a class with my sister at the local adult school-$100 for 10 weeks of a reupholstery class....I'm justifying it as a way to learn to DIY (since I got an estimate of $400/chair when I looked into reupholstering the chairs my kids destroyed!!) and as bonding time w/ my sister!

DD 10/03
DS 8/06
DS 6/08

kozachka
06-10-2011, 01:42 AM
I have not spent anything on classes for me for the last 6.5-7 out of the last 7.5 years, but have recently signed up for Taekwondo at the same studio that DS attends. I got 25% discount for being a second member in the family to join the studio and another 15% for prepaying for the year. It is about $120-$130 per month plus $50 for the test every 2-3 months. The first test was $20 and my next test is going to be free since I volunteered at a studio event. So ~$150 per month. DS and I work out together 2, occasionally 3 times per week so there are no additional costs for childcare or gas. I have also dropped work gym membership, which I never attended and which was costing me $20 per month, and started bringing lunch to work/eating at home (when I work from home) 1-2 times per week, a savings of another $60 per month. I also want to start taking balroom class while DS takes his at the same studio, which would be either $14 per class or $54 per month. I also recently purchased 10 yoga classes for $10 courtesy of Livingsocial. So hopefully I'd be able to drop another 5-10 pounds and fit into my old clothes, another saving ;).

We are in the high COL, make good money and have no debt except our mortgage, which we are agressively paying off. I do not feel bad about spending money on exercising since we can afford it and it's good for my wellbeing (I've lost at least a dress size in 3.5 months that I've been working out). I work hard so don't feel bad about treating myself to a manicure, new shoes or a lunch/dinner out with friends. Why should I? I am pretty frugal in many other areas and have positive cash flow.

essnce629
06-10-2011, 03:00 AM
ZERO :(

For Mother's Day, I asked DBF to get me a 2 week unliminted trial pass to the yoga studio that's within walking distance of our house. I used to take yoga when I was in college and loved it. Well, he got it for me and in the two weeks I went ZERO times!!! DBF works a lot and even though the studio has classes as late as 8pm, I never got a chance to go. So sad.

blisstwins
06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
$340 a month for ice skating lessons. I started with group lessons and finished that curriculum. I needed a coach if I wanted to continue. I went back to work just before this and it is a total, wild treat to myself. I don't have a housecleaner, we drive an old car, I saw a therapist years ago, but don't any more. Physical (and mental) activity like this keeps my tendency toward depression at bay. It is expensive, but since I am frugal with myself in other areas I don't feel guilty. I really just love it.

*myfoursons
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I spend about $150 month on gym membership and classes. Money well spent! Being at the gym in a group setting, taking classes, is a real motivator for me. Keep it interesting, keep it fun, and I'll keep going.

Exercising is a great stress reducer for me, and I don't mind that it helps me get back into a bikini ;)

alien_host
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
For about 18 months (minus the summer) I was taking a weekly pottery class during the week while DD was at school. IIRC it was $150 for 8 weeks?

I don't belong to a gym (and haven't for about 10 years or more!) so I don't mind spending the money on a class.

Before DD I used to take cooking, pottery or other classes every now and then.

mackmama
06-10-2011, 11:42 PM

:yeahthat:

niccig
06-10-2011, 11:53 PM
ZERO :(

For Mother's Day, I asked DBF to get me a 2 week unliminted trial pass to the yoga studio that's within walking distance of our house. I used to take yoga when I was in college and loved it. Well, he got it for me and in the two weeks I went ZERO times!!! DBF works a lot and even though the studio has classes as late as 8pm, I never got a chance to go. So sad.

You have to get a babysitter or go somewhere with babysitting like the Y or gym. I can not count on DH to be home during the week as he can walk in the door between 8pm-2am, it all depends on the client's demands. If I have to be someone, like my grad. school classes, I hire a babysitter. If it's a parent event at DS's school, I hire a babysitter. Anything M-F, I hire a babysitter.

There's no resentment on my part for having missing something I wanted, as I'm not relying on DH to be there. Preschool and now elementary school has made thing easier as I'll do as much as I can during those hours. DH is all for the babysitter, as he doesn't feel guilty when it's 7pm and a client wants to get on a conference call, he knows I'm still doing what I've got planned. It's the only way I've been able to cope with his crazy work hours.