PDA

View Full Version : If I were to open my own store...

Corie
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
what kinds of products would you like to find in my store?

It could be anything. Purses/accessories, home decor, baby gifts,
greeting cards, jewelry, tabletop accessories, wedding gifts, kids
and tween gifts, etc.

My friend is going to market soon and she would like some suggestions
for some new products to carry!!

Thanks so much for your help!

LMPC
06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I would like really well made LOCAL stuff. I get tired of buying gifts from other places, when I know there are people in my community that make wonderful things! I would much rather buy a special outfit for DD that the woman down the road made than from a chain B&M store or even from an etsy seller 1000 miles away.

BTW, sounds like FUN! I always wanted to open a nice baby consignment store :)

lhafer
06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Well - I've always wanted to open up my own baby store. And not clothes stuff. You can find that anywhere. I want to do the hard-to-get-my-hands-on-IRL items so people can actually play with it.

I personally love baby gear, diaper bags, car seats, etc. Not into clothes and bedding so much. But a lot of this depends on manufacturers.

I also agree with the PP about trying to buy locally when I can. There's a cool toy and candy shop near me. I love it there. They sell a lot of Melissa and Doug stuff, and other items that I can usually only find on Amazon. They have a Stella doll that I will probably buy from them, even though they are a little more expensive than TRU or Amazon - but it will help support their business. Plus the are SUPER nice when you walk in - they offer you coffee or water right away. And they have *bucks* where you get a $1 back for every $10 you spend. I usually spend $30-40 when I go there, so I always have at least $3-$4 tokens. And around the Holidays they double that. They are cool little wooden tokens that have the $X on it ($1, $5, etc) and they don't expire and you can use them anytime. Love that store.

dec756
06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
homemade goodies (food). organic snacks, drinks etc
baby stuff
cute purses, clothes, bags etc.

tiapam
06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Not many stores carry pop up books probably because they can get damaged, but I think more people would buy them if they could see them. They are usually shrink wrapped so you need to open one up for people to see. I bought this for DD's teacher, but most pop up books are for (older) kids of course:

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Blossoms-Beautiful-Bouquets-Table/dp/0811874192

I stumbled on it when I looked at some museum store websites for teacher gifts. They have some neat things so she could get ideas that way. MOMA has some nice pop up notecards and decor.

I bought this scarf and love it:

http://www.jmkacstore.org/superscarf.aspx

Also love that museum, it has a preschool inside!