PDA

View Full Version : Karate or Taekwondo

njk07
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
My son is almost 4 and we are thinking of enrolling him in a martial arts class. Am just realizing how many types there are. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tondi G
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
my DS takes Tae Kwon Do and we are happy with it.

new_mommy25
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
At that age I think you can go with either one. I would visit the schools with DS and observe a class. Watch how the sensei interacts with the students, how well behaved the students are, and so forth. Go with the class where you feel comfortable, and that fits in your budget/schedule.

My kids both do Traditional Karate 3 days a week. Monday is Kata (forms), Wednesday is sparring, and Friday is weapons. The Sensei is very good with the children but also very strict. No one acts out, everyone waits in line nicely, and so forth. The school always does well in tournaments because our Sensei really works with the kids and immediately corrects mistakes and works with them over and over until perfection. My kids love the class and look forward to it. DS just got his first weapon and it is a great source of pride to him.

On the other hand, DS also does a Brazilian jiu-jitsu class 3x a week. It is very different to karate in that there is almost no discipline. The kids are constantly running amok and it drives me crazy. I have given DS strict instruction that he is there to learn and not play and he knows to wait in line and pay attention. I wish other parents would actually say something to their kids. Another Mom actually did complain a few weeks ago to the Professor because there were 3 siblings that were particularly obnoxious and I have noticed that things are getting better now. But DH says that is how most of those type of jiujitsu schools are (lots of play) and if you want the discipline you have to go to a Japanese jitsu school.

Taekwondo focuses more on kicking with some punching/blocks. Karate uses more punches and blocks.

geochick
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I've heard from several people that Taekwondo hands out black belts like candy. Okay, not literally, but it's supposed to be an easier path if you want your kid to reach that goal eventually.

belovedgandp
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Definitely check out the schools around you. All of them should let you observe plus do a class or two or some kind of cheap intro course to get a feel before a big commitment.

My 7YO and DH do TKD. Our 4YO will start in the fall with school. Every school is going to be different. We went looking mostly at only TKD because DH had experience there from his younger years. But even then the schools were very different. One was almost too strict plus 45 minute classes scheduled 45 minutes apart. Another had lots of adult classes but less for younger kids. The school we are at was the best fit for our family. They endorse the discipline, structure, goals, but still have some fun.

Being purely selfish, since I was the one getting them there, I wanted a school close to us. Ours is 2 miles from our house. If I need to be someplace at least 2 or 3 times a week it needs to be convenient.

vejemom
06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
On the other hand, DS also does a Brazilian jiu-jitsu class 3x a week. It is very different to karate in that there is almost no discipline. The kids are constantly running amok and it drives me crazy. I have given DS strict instruction that he is there to learn and not play and he knows to wait in line and pay attention. I wish other parents would actually say something to their kids. Another Mom actually did complain a few weeks ago to the Professor because there were 3 siblings that were particularly obnoxious and I have noticed that things are getting better now. But DH says that is how most of those type of jiujitsu schools are (lots of play) and if you want the discipline you have to go to a Japanese jitsu school.

Really? I do Jiu Jitsu, and that hasn't been my experience at all. Although they pretty much phased out their kid's classes because it isn't a martial art that most kids "get" readily. There is a separate belt system for kids until 16 by the international rules of BJJ. There are probably only a few hundred BJJ black belts in the country, although there is no shortage of folks claiming to be! The few preteens in the class are kept in line by the instructors, most of whom are ex-military and have no problems commanding respect. The school does offer kids' Muay Thai. While more chaotic, the instructor keeps them in line and the kids all look like they're coming along nicely. Probably helps that he's military reserve and a professional MMA fighter :D