PDA

View Full Version : 103 Degrees Out and the Power Just Went Out

Toba
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I hate this crap. 103?? In June?? WTF?? And as soon as DS and I walked in the door from the school bus the power went out. We have our internet and phone system (VoIP) on a UPS but that will only last about 30-45 minutes. We usually have rolling blackouts towards the end of the summer, but I hear sirens all over the place so either someone ran into a telephone pole or a transformer caught on fire. Either way, doesn't look like we're getting power back anytime soon. Luckily, my parents (on a different grid) are only 6 blocks away. This really bites!!

LMPC
06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Whoa! Get thee to your parents ASAP!! Hope your power comes back on very very soon!

Stay cool!!!

DietCokeLover
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Yikes! Stay cool.

LearningAsWeGo
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Glad you have parents nearby - stay cool!

I was going to suggest you get to a chilly movie theater or an IKEA (or someplace similar with food and playing area).

HIU8
06-09-2011, 02:49 PM
They mentioned on the news how Pepco was attempting to limit the power outages here. Normally when it gets to 90 or above our power goes out. So a lot over the summer. They recently revamped the power grid we connect to and so far so good. It sucks when power goes out in the summer heat.

Toba
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure what happened, but our power came on around 3:30, so it was about 2-1/2 hours without power. We have a two story house and the whole first floor is Pergo, so it's usually 10-15 degrees cooler down here. It wasn't too unbearable at all, but if it had lasted another hour, we would have been over at my parent's house. The power was out in about eight towns in my area, with my town having the most outages. I was shocked when I got in the van to go get DS and it said 103! In June!!!

Uno-Mom
06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
All you poor poor over heated folks make me feel better about our weather - we're all b*tching because it's been one of the coldest, rainiest springs ever in Oregon. In the last two weeks we've only had a couple days over 70 and everybody acted like bears coming out of hibernation!

No more complaining for this Oregonian! Sorry for all you guys. If I could, I'd welcome you all over to my chilly living room.