PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cup for a 15 month old?

dddhokie
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm searching for the perfect sippy or straw cup or something I haven't even thought of yet for my DD who is 15 mon. She's been off bottles since she turned 1 and we were using standard sippies, but should she be on a straw cup yet?

What about these Tilty cups?
http://www.amazon.com/Tilty-Sippy-Blue-Green-Ounce/dp/B003UPUW3W/ref=pd_sim_ba_2

Trying to move her drinking skills forward and not regress...

brittone2
06-09-2011, 03:39 PM
DS2 likes DS1 and DD"s camelback (stainless) straw cups. There's a bite valve so I was a little worried about it impacting nursing but so far no problem with him trying to bite more.

He uses an open cup (with each child we've introduced a shot glass or small drinking glass early on) a good bit at home. He can use a sports cap (like our Klean Kanteen) too.

LMPC
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
DD could never get the hang of a bite valve, but had good success with stainless steel bottles like SIGG. We intro'd a straw at 6 mos just because it was easier for us not to have to remember a cup when going out...yeah, we are lazy like that :tongue5:

weech
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
DS drinks from about anything - he has a few different kinds of sippies, a few kinds of straw cups, a camelbak with bite valve, a kleen kanteen /w sport top. He likes to drink from open cups, but gets angry when he can't hold them himself (he would throw them, so mommy and daddy "supervise" a little). His current favorite are his take and toss cups that he gets with meals. He's 14 months.

BDKmom
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
DS does well with these:

http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?section=prodCategories&ID=10021&pID=1098

He never got the hang of a regular sippy, but has done well with these for the past couple of months. He also can do a straw in a regular glass with assistance, but these are great for when we are not supervising. They drip slightly if turned upside down, but not nearly as much as others I have tried.

Pinky
06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm searching for the perfect sippy or straw cup or something I haven't even thought of yet for my DD who is 15 mon. She's been off bottles since she turned 1 and we were using standard sippies, but should she be on a straw cup yet?

What about these Tilty cups?
http://www.amazon.com/Tilty-Sippy-Blue-Green-Ounce/dp/B003UPUW3W/ref=pd_sim_ba_2

Trying to move her drinking skills forward and not regress...

The Tilty cups are awesome!! I highly recommend them. They do leak a tiny bit if turned upside down or shook up too much.

smiles33
06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I bought the Tilty from Marshall's but DD2 didn't like it. She also didn't like any of the stainless steel sippies/straw cups I bought for her. I think it's because her daycare center goes to open cups at 15 months. They use plastic, but I got the Kidishes/Duralex small glasses for her use at home.

Pinky
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I bought the Tilty from Marshall's but DD2 didn't like it. She also didn't like any of the stainless steel sippies/straw cups I bought for her. I think it's because her daycare center goes to open cups at 15 months. They use plastic, but I got the Kidishes/Duralex small glasses for her use at home.

Wow, open at 15 months? I've been wondering when we should do that. My DD can drink from one now at 14 months but she is not remotely trustworthywith it. LOL She wants to dump it on her head. :)

brittone2
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow, open at 15 months? I've been wondering when we should do that. My DD can drink from one now at 14 months but she is not remotely trustworthywith it. LOL She wants to dump it on her head. :)

A shot glass will work and is fairly hard to break. We usually start w/ just a tiny bit of water at a time so if they dump, it isn't the end of the world.

dddhokie
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
wow! 15 months with an open cup! actually the shot glass isn't a bad idea. now to convince dh it's not one for baby, one for him :ROTFLMAO:

ahrimie
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
We did stage 3 Combi straw cups after 12 months and soon transitioned to Thermos foogo straw cups. The combo is nice because the straw is small and flexible, not a bit valve. However, I've had trouble finding these lately. Thermos foogo is everywhere.

smiles33
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
LOL, I know, 15 months still seems crazy young to me for an open cup. We stopped using bottles at 12 months so it was barely even 3 months with sippies. They did allow kids to use a sippie before naptime in case they didn't get much milk from the cup. Still, peer pressure can accomplish amazing things and they adjust VERY quickly.

brittone2
06-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't have known they are capable of handling an open cup had I not worked in EI. Many of the evaluation tools looked at use of an open cup from a fairly early age, and most kids (even those who didn't qualify) were not yet doing that because they weren't given the chance. The pedi OTs and SLPs I worked with tended to suggest it as something to work on with young toddlers. Many SLPs do not like extensive sippy cup use and a few of the SLPs I worked with felt pretty strongly about using alternatives.