PDA

View Full Version : When raw chicken smells like hardboiled eggs...

brittone2
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Is it bad? I've read conflicting info. This seems to happen to us every few weeks.

I put some chicken in the crockpot earlier today and it was very hard boiled eggy smelling. I've read this can be normal in packaged chicken (wrapped in cellophane) but I've also read it isn't normal.

DH and I seem to have this debate every few weeks. I tend to just toss it. He thinks the eggy smell is kind of normal.

eta: expiration date is tomorrow. I think I bought it on monday. Too long in the fridge?

amldaley
09-15-2011, 03:42 PM
1) Just reading the title of your thread makes me want to vomit. I do not envy you.

2) Rinse it for several minutes in cold water. Pat it dry with paper towels. If it still smells, toss it.

JBaxter
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
my guess is yes. If chicken smells I toss it.

brittone2
09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
That's what I tell DH and he never believes me. I don't know why I ever ask him LOL, because I know he'll inevitably say it is fine ;)

I'm tossing it. Just not in the mood to deal with GI stuff running through the whole family ;)

I have leftovers we can use for dinner anyway.

Thanks!

KpbS
09-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I absolutely can't stand that smell. I think it is pretty normal for chicken but definitely gets stronger as the chicken approaches sell by date. I've tried to only buy chicken lately if I am going to be able to cook it within 24 hours or I'll toss it into the freezer.

fortato
09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Rule #1 in the Kristen Kotrlik book of cooking...
If it smells like a fart. Do not eat it.

(That rules out Hard Boiled Eggs for me, but it's a good rule to follow.)

brittone2
09-15-2011, 04:20 PM

How many of the keep or toss posts do you think we can apply that to? :rotflmao:

Jo..
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM

I eat stuff that smells like farts all of the time, but that may be a good rule.:ROTFLMAO:

JBaxter
09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Unless Im using chicken that day I always stick it in the freezer.

YouAreTheFocus
09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I eat stuff that smells like farts all of the time, but that may be a good rule.:ROTFLMAO:

LOL! I have often thought that onion rings smell like farts. And I still eat them.

Jo..
09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Tonight I am making pasta with sundried tomatoes, feta, and chicken.

The chicken and feta BOTH smell like farts so I broke Kristen's rule twice.

JTsMom
09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
My chef friend says that chicken should have NO smell, and not feel slimy, but I rarely get a package that doesn't feel at least a little slimy. I used to get the eggy smell frequently when I bought it from Whole Foods. I always returned it, and I started insisting on having them make me up fresh family packs, and letting me sniff it before they sealed it. It's too expensive to toss over and over again, and it's a pain in the neck to boot.

fortato
09-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Dude... your farts must STANK! OMG, if your farts smell like Feta... you may need a colonic or a fiber one bar.

brittone2
09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
My chef friend says that chicken should have NO smell, and not feel slimy, but I rarely get a package that doesn't feel at least a little slimy. I used to get the eggy smell frequently when I bought it from Whole Foods. I always returned it, and I started insisting on having them make me up fresh family packs, and letting me sniff it before they sealed it. It's too expensive to toss over and over again, and it's a pain in the neck to boot.
Yep, this was from WFs. I also have it happen w/ the whole coleman chickens from costco from time to time.

We did chuck it but man, it annoys me when that happens.

brittone2
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM

:rotflmao:

brittone2
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
LOL! I have often thought that onion rings smell like farts. And I still eat them.
Have you no shame?!!! :rotflmao: