PDA

View Full Version : Volo?

Melaine
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Just saw a Volo come up on CL for $50....is this a good umbrella? Good price?

crl
01-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I have never had one, but Volos are MacLarens so they are good strollers. The volo is the barebones version. It is super light, has no recline, very small wheels and, I think, very little canopy. They are generally considered best for kids at least six months old, many people say over a year. They retail for over $100, so $50 is probably a good price depending on condition.

(Other somewhat comparable strollers might be the Cybex Ruby or the Uppa G-lite.)

Catherine

Sopamanda
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Love ours although I think we used it once he was well over a year. They really need to be able to sit up well.

Great price. I got mine on some freaky clearance for $85 or so but that was like 4 years ago. We have an Inglesina swift and a volo. Volo wheels better. I've found the shade fine.

legaleagle
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd say good but not great - I know the ebay mac guy has them for about $60-70 fairly frequently, brand new with warranty.

Adding: super cute Turkish blue for $60 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maclaren-Volo-Turkish-Blue-2008-Stroller-New-Box-/280806021141?pt=Strollers&hash=item416157d815

crl
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd say good but not great - I know the ebay mac guy has them for about $60-70 fairly frequently, brand new with warranty.

Oh, in that case I'd go that route if you want a volo. I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for new and especially with a warranty (even though I've never actually used the warranty on a stroller.)

Catherine

Multimama
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh, in that case I'd go that route if you want a volo. I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for new and especially with a warranty (even though I've never actually used the warranty on a stroller.)

Catherine

Even though it is rumored to be the Maclaren outlet, BabyProductStore's strollers do not come with a Maclaren warranty. Mine didn't even come with a serial number. I think he says he provides his own warranty, but his communication is *very* poor so I wouldn't bank on it.

Nevertheless, I'd buy the one linked to above over a used one on CL.

But (just as an FYI) I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using a Volo often for a child under 18 months. It is *very* slouchy.

crl
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Even though it is rumored to be the Maclaren outlet, BabyProductStore's strollers do not come with a Maclaren warranty. Mine didn't even come with a serial number. I think he says he provides his own warranty, but his communication is *very* poor so I wouldn't bank on it.

Ahh. Good distinction.

Catherine

tribe pride
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Were volos included in maclaren's recall (due to the hinges amputating some fingers)? I'm not very familiar with the recall, so maybe I'm confused. Not that you might not buy it anyway, but it's something to consider. And if it is pre-recall, you may be able to use that to negotiate a lower price.

legaleagle
01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah, the older ones were recalled. I don't think that would make a huge difference in the price on the used market, but I'm no expert in buying used strollers.

How is the volo slouch compared to the starck?

Multimama
01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Were volos included in maclaren's recall (due to the hinges amputating some fingers)? I'm not very familiar with the recall, so maybe I'm confused. Not that you might not buy it anyway, but it's something to consider. And if it is pre-recall, you may be able to use that to negotiate a lower price.

The recall is easily fixed with a pair of hinge covers that Maclaren will send anyone even if they are not the original owner of the stroller. While the CLer shouldn't sell the stroller without the hinge covers, I wouldn't avoid buying one because it needed them.

Melaine
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
If it isn't good until close to 18 months then I will definitely wait. Thanks guys!

hoodlims
01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Not sure how old the Volo on your CL is, but my Volo is probably about 10 years old and the canopy comes down very far. It is straight but can be angled forward and down to create more shade.

Multimama
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah, the older ones were recalled. I don't think that would make a huge difference in the price on the used market, but I'm no expert in buying used strollers.

How is the volo slouch compared to the starck?

Hmm. I don't know. The seat is really different. I mean obviously both strollers are better suited to toddlers, but the Starck has more of a natural recline and slightly deeper sides that I think makes it look more comfortable for younger kids and certainly more comfortable to sleep in. (My DS kind of fell out of the Volo seat when he tried to sleep in it because it's so narrow and straight.)

If it isn't good until close to 18 months then I will definitely wait. Thanks guys!

Well, there are people on this board who felt comfortable using one from 7-8 months and up, but I definitely don't think you need to rush and buy one now if it's for the new baby. BabyProductStore has had them available in various colors on and off for years for around $60-70.

Not sure how old the Volo on your CL is, but my Volo is probably about 10 years old and the canopy comes down very far. It is straight but can be angled forward and down to create more shade.

Yeah, the old ones have a canopy that can rachet forward, but the new ones definitely do not. I wish they would bring that feature back!