PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that Snore REALLY Loudly??

StantonHyde
04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
We were "gifted" a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel last year. This is my first experience with a dog that weighs less than 60 pounds, so it has taken some getting used to. He is a wonderful, sweet boy. BUT....

Good Lord--this dog SNORES like you would not believe!! People think we are exaggerating so DH recorded him--people are shocked how much noise can come from a 25 pound dog. Sometimes he is so loud he wakes himself up!

It doesn't seem to bother him. He is big for a King Charles and can run on the trails with me for an hour when it is cool weather. He is fine and healthy otherwise. I just want to get him a c-pap machine!!

Is this just normal for smaller dogs with shorter faces? It's not like he's a pug but he's not a Golden Retriever either...I suppose there isn't anything to "do" about it. It's just rather surprising...

sntm
04-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Lol, that was the dog I was planning to get (see my siggie, this earned the response from DSO that we already *had* a cat) until we decided on a Rottweiler. My research suggested they were not big snorers since that's one I my no-nos. perhaps yours has allergies?

queenmama
04-12-2013, 02:06 AM
I'm sitting here listening to my beast snoring next to me. :rolleyes:

He's an American Bulldog so we kind of expected it. I would be surprised to hear a CKC snore, too!

Lara

MamaInMarch
04-12-2013, 07:52 AM
We have a chihuahua that snores pretty loudly too. He also reverse sneezes so I guess it's all tied in. But he's loud and occasionally wakes me in the middle of the night!

wfmom
04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
We have a Cavalier too, and she snores like an old man! I think it is a short nose thing. It does take getting used to.

Mermanaid
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Our Brittney snores. Loudly.

wendibird22
04-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I have an English Springer Spaniel, male, 60lb and he snores some nights so loudly. He's also the occasional reverse sneezer. ESSs don't have short snouts but maybe it has something to do with nostril shape of spaniels? Our dog's nose openings are thick/dense.

Indianamom2
04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Sorry to say, but it's not just a short-nosed breed problem. Our 65-70 lb. German Shep/lab/hound mix snores like an overweight man. She wakes me up sometimes. It's sort of funny and sort of annoying. She doesn't have any diagnosed medical problems. We can hear her from other rooms sometimes.

Her dreams, however, are hilarious to witness. She sounds like she's whinnying (probably not a word) like a horse!

StantonHyde
04-12-2013, 11:55 AM
He does have some skin allergies--he gets itchy. I changed his food to one without allergen causing grains and that has helped quite a bit. If he gets bad dandruff flakes on his back, we wash him with special shampoo and conditioner, which makes the flakes go away for a while. I guess I could ask the vet about that connection.

LOL about the "we already have a cat". Yep, that was always my response to small dogs too. But then I started meeting some nice ones. This dog, in particular, is truly an awesome dog--so good with kids. And I knew I just did not have the time to exercise a 2 yo Golden. When I got our former Golden, I ran with him 2x a day plus did long hikes on weekends. I was single so I had the time. Now that I do tris, I dont' run every day, so I needed something that would be ok with a 30 min walk around the block.

I grew up with English and Irish setters and I dont' remember them snoring like this. They had other bizarre habits--like rolling in dead things ;)

AngelaS
04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Our English mastiff snores so loudly that when we are upstairs in bed with the door closed we can hear her snoring downstairs.

KLD313
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
My Bulldogs snore like crazy which can be due to an elongated palate. No clue of that happens with your type of dog. The Bullies can shake the house, especially the larger male.

Ceepa
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
We have a cat who snores so loudly he wakes us up sometimes!

sophiesmom03
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
My Newfies snore like drunken sailors. We can hear them upstairs. Oh and they howl in their sleep too. ;)

StantonHyde
04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
ok, so basically, I should just be glad I don't have giant Newfies in my house (as in plural of Newfie, as in you have more than one!!). I love big dogs, but the shedding, the drool, the fact that they are the size of live stock......

I'll just keep turning up my white noise machine so I can sleep through the dog's snoring!

Corie
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Our 3rd dog is a Cavalier King Charles. No snoring yet. But she is still
a puppy, only 4 months old.

Our other 2 dogs snore very loudly. They are big dogs though.

trcy
04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
He may have stenotic nares or 'pinched nostrils'. Your vet can tell just by looking at his nose. Also, overweight dogs tend to snore, although 25 lbs sounds like a good weight for that breed.