Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default IKEA crib has large gap around mattress

We recently purchased and assembled our IKEA crib, model HENSVIK. The crib itself I find very sturdy - but there is this huge gap between the sides of the mattress and the slats of the frame.

Has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution? All I can think of is to stuff a sturdy piece of foam, or maybe even a heavy plank of wood down either side. (I only thought wood because it would be too heavy for a baby to move, and obviously I would sand and finish the piece of wood - paint it white to match.)

Thanks.

I am very interested to see what kind of feedback you receive, as this is the crib we were considering. Out of curiosity, what crib mattress are you using? We were not planning to get an IKEA mattress.

We have a Sealy Super-Maxipedic mattress. But as all mattresses are the same size I think they would all have this problem. If the mattress were bigger it would rest on the platforms side-rails and not on the platforms slats - if that makes any sense. I'll try to draw a picture.

side rail > ------------------
    slats > |||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
    side rail >------------------

The mattress platform consists of two side rails - basically 1 x 4 " boards placed on edge - and 14 slats in between those rails. The slats sit on a lip about half way down the width of the 1 x 4 rails. The mattress sits snugly between the side rails on the slats.

The problem is, the frame goes around the platform - so there is a gap between the mattress and the frame that is the width of the side rail. This gap is easily enough space to place to adult fingers.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know. I have an older model SNIGLAR crib (from 2004) and purchased a new IKEA mattress for it about 6 months ago. It fits well.

I have found that some IKEA mattresses need time to expand into their frames, especially if they were rolled up/compressed before purchase. This was the case with the foam mattress we bought for my DS1's new KURA bed.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

We just put together our Hensvik crib this evening. There is a small gap around the mattress and the frame, but nothing a crib bumper wouldn't take care of. I'm not sure if this is the same gap you were referring to or if yours is larger than what a bumper would cover. We have a Sealy Cozy Rest mattress from Target, if that helps.
    ~ Allison ~
    Nora ~ 3/26/08

I didn't think that most bumpers would work with this crib as it has solid ends.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zgeist
    I didn't think that most bumpers would work with this crib as it has solid ends.
    I don't see why you couldn't use a bumper bad on a crib like that. IKEA even carries bumper pads. I've never used 'em, so I can't help you there.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

I hate to say it, but you should probably call Ikea customer service and see what they say. The crib may be defective, or it might be sized for a specific mattress - there are many cribs out there that take only non-standard bedding.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Default Leksvik crib has same gap

We just assembled our Leksvik crib and noticed the same problem. Emailed IKEA and they said this is normal for this crib. It is just as zgeist drew - there is a frame that the mattress fits in snugly. The edges of this frame, however, create a gap between the mattress and the side rails that is mostly two fingers wide, although there are a few rails that don't seem to hit the frame and so the gap is slightly larger than two fingers (3cm). Seems to be due to slight warping of the side rails.

The IKEA rep suggested using bumpers, but it seems that might be a more dangerous solution than a gap that is mostly within safety specs.

I'm just surprised with all the glowing reviews of this crib that someone else hasn't pointed out this gap. Has anyone else found this to be a problem worth worrying about, or are we just overreacting. On one hand I don't want to subject my kid to needless danger, on the other hand, there is no way I could give birth to him at even 4cm dilation, so is this gap really something to be concerned about.

Finally - did anyone make any modifications to fill in this gap - maybe a padded piece of wood covered in fabric?

Thanks

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default if you have IKEA crib, reply and help us out...

Bleue,
    Oh, boy! I'm hoping some others jump in on this. We bought the Leksvik too, based on the 'A' in BB. IKEA is over 3 hours from us, and it's still in the box so I don't know if we have the gap. I do know we have no time for a 6-hour drive to return it before the baby comes, and I was really trying to make the safest choices...no bumpers, no drop sides, low to the ground, Moonlight Slumber mattress, etc. If this crib is not a tight fit, I'll be so disappointed!!!! I can't believe IKEA told you that is the way it is supposed to be!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast