kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default The Ikea cribs look great, but...

What sheets fit them? Do you have to use Ikea mattresses with them? Can I use my old PBK bedding, or do I have to buy Ikea sheets/bedding? And how sturdy are they, really? Do they wiggle, creak, and groan when you push on them?

Thank you. :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
    And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: The Ikea cribs look great, but...

nak
    they fit any standard crib mattress. i found the cheapest crib to be shaky but the next one up - gulliver - to be pretty stable.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have the Ikea mattress, but any mattress will fit. We bought Lands End sheets and they fit perfectly. We have the Gulliver Crib, it is rock solid, you can grab hold of the end and try to push/pull with all your might and the thing does not move at all.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

nak

We have the Diktad; so far it's held up well after 2 years. I bought an Ikea foam mattress, so I don't know if other mattresses will work. But any crib sheet should be fine (I have some BRU cotton ones and FleeceBaby ones, both fit fine).
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can use IKEA bedding, or your old PBK bedding. I have used PBK and GH crib bedding on our IKEA mattress so far.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

bryana Guest

When you say "IKEA cribs look great...", do mean online?? Because they do look great online, but go to the store (as I did yesterday, cash in hand)and you will be sorely disappointed. The cribs are very, very low to the ground. I actually thought I was looking at a mini display-sized model of the crib. The top rail can't be more than three feet off the ground. It would look really strange in a room full of normal sized furniture to have a crib that low. With the mattress on it's low position it looks to be about 6-8 inches off the ground. I wouldn't use one even if someone gave me a brand new one for free! I think I would trip over it! And imagine bending all the way over everytime you pick up or put down your baby...especially when your baby is about nine months old and gaining :) I, obviously, do NOT recommend this crib at any price.

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thanks so much, ladies!

I did only see them online, but I may plan a trip over to the store to check them out. I'm not sure that they are exactly what we are looking for, though. I think that I'm leaning more toward one of the cribs at Target.com. I really appreciate the input you all have given me. Thank you!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
    And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

mongo is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default ikea crib

For those of us who live in apartments, the smaller the better. The crib dimensions are overall smaller than most of those JUMBO suburban BRU cribs with sleigh bed transformer-like details (crib turns into todder bed, queen bed, etc.) that stand like storks with 2 foot high legs!!! Who has room for that!!! Seriously!!!! But when you measure the actual space that the baby is in (minus the legs) it seems the Ikea crib (at least the Gulliver that I bought) is the same as any other crib. As far as being low to the ground, having a lower center of gravity usually makes things more stable. And as for quality, the Ikea cribs are generally solid beech, which is more than I can say for the rubberwoodor pine junk from most other manufacturers. As for being mini, the cribs actually fit regular sized mattresses, and having fixed side rails also seems to be a plus since the lowered sides for cribs that I see on the market makes them awfully rickety.

Quote Originally Posted by bryana
    When you say "IKEA cribs look great...", do mean online?? Because they do look great online, but go to the store (as I did yesterday, cash in hand)and you will be sorely disappointed. The cribs are very, very low to the ground. I actually thought I was looking at a mini display-sized model of the crib. The top rail can't be more than three feet off the ground. It would look really strange in a room full of normal sized furniture to have a crib that low. With the mattress on it's low position it looks to be about 6-8 inches off the ground. I wouldn't use one even if someone gave me a brand new one for free! I think I would trip over it! And imagine bending all the way over everytime you pick up or put down your baby...especially when your baby is about nine months old and gaining I, obviously, do NOT recommend this crib at any price.

I have the Diktad model, very similar to the Leksvik that is now available. It is absolutely great! Very study. I know it will last for a 2nd baby. I bought the "upgraded" Ikea crib mattress which was around $60 but regualr crib mattresses fit is too. I use regular crib sheets from BRU. On some of Ikea models, regualr bumpers don't sit well but I didn't use one because I feel they are a SIDS risk. Also, you may have to get creative with a crib skirt. I made one myself.

As far as the size goes, the interior demensions are the same as "regular" cribs. Yes, they are a bit lower but by the time you drop the mattress, your baby will be standing and you will be picking them up from a standing position. I got a regular HEMNES 3 drawer dresser (adult Ikea line) and a glider to go with my crib and it doesn't look too small at all. I have a small nursery and it all fits and looks terrific. My personal thought is that cribs are way over the top these days - every one is gigantic and converts into 7 million things.

I sold high end nursery furniture for several years - Morigeau Lepine and Ragazzi and I will honestly say, the Ikea crib I have is just as sturdy as those lines. Yes, it is basic, but it gets the job done and was a great value.

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default pass on Leksvik model

I have the Leksvik, and these are my photos:
    http://baby411.typepad.com/babybarga...svik-crib.html

I'm so bummed about the gap! I personally think the crib is sturdy, though. Also, I have a great Moonlight Slumber mattress, so I know it's not the issue. It fits firmly in the frame provided...it's just that darn design flaw.