Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We were originally planning to purchase the Hensvik crib, but we decided on the Gulliver instead. We are fortunate enough to live just a few miles from an Ikea location, so we examined all of the crib models in the store. Both the Hensvik and the Leksvik have an additional board between the slats and the rails, which causes a gap around the entire perimeter of the mattress. The floor models both had huge gaps, which we were just not comfortable with. The Gulliver does not have this extra board, and the mattress is a very tight fit. Once we got it home, we were very pleased with how safe and secure it is, and it was even less expensive than the other two models.

DH and I looked at these last weekend. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Leksvik. It looked so rickity. I don't think any child would be able to use this thing past 8-9 months. The rest of the furniture was awesome though, and we did purchase those pieces... just not the crib.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I WOULD NOT use bumpers as a means to close this gap...first of all, anything in the crib should not be loose or soft (which is why bumpers aren't really recommended and why many don't use them)....I would really question the safety of this gap and Ikea's customer service suggestions....the crib is one piece of baby equipment you want very well made with a snug fitting mattress. If they don't have a way to fix this gap properly I'd insist they take it back, with them covering the shipping costs (they certainly don't want the bad publicity of a baby getting hurt in one of their cribs). FYI I've had two different cribs, one moderately priced 300.00 and one super cheap 89 on sale from Kmart and both were well made and fit my Colgate mattress perfectly. I've never heard of any other cribs doing this either.

We bought the Leksvik crib last fall based off of the BB review. There is a noticeable gap though we've continued to use it with a bumper. I would really like to know if this gets recalled.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have been using an IKEA crib with an IKEA mattress for 16 months. We bought the $30.00 mattress. I just went to look, the mattress comes up 1 inch from the base where it is set in, there is about one inch between the mattress and the slats. Basically, there is a 1X1 space.
    Picture . .l
    _______ .l (ignore the dots I had to add them to make the picture line up)
    . . . . ..l_.l

matress, rail, slat, the down and across are a bit under 1 inch

It has not been a problem at all, this is only on the sides, not on the ends. We use no bumpers and just some lands ends sheets and mattress pad. DD walks, crawls, climbs, plays, bangs on the crib and it does not move. We have never had an issue, I don't see how it could be an issue, nothing could get stuck there, it is only 1 inch from level with the top of the mattress.

I love the crib, it is very sturdy and I love the mattress, nice and firm and a great price. We plan to keep her in it untill she can climb out.

Edited to fix artwork.
    Last edited by trales; 07-28-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I will take pictures of my cribs with the very large gaps and try to post them here. There are gaps all around the sides and also a big gap on the end, 1-2".

zgeist

Standard full size cribs are required by law to have specific dimensions between the slats, for this very reason. On the long end, the space between slats must be between 51.75" and 53". On the short end, the permissible range is 27.375" - 28.625". If the crib measures outside of these dimensions, it is not in compliance with US law (16cfr1508), and cannot be sold. This is an easy check if you have a tape measure.

There is an exception for cribs that are more than 2" above or below this range of sizes, to accommodate non-standard cribs where the manufacturer typically also provides the mattress (e.g. Stokke Sleepi, which is also oval of course). I don't believe that exception applies to this crib though, and IKEA lists it as complying with 16cfr1508.

If you have a mattress that's on the small side, and a crib that's at the large side of the allowable range, you might get a gap of about 1" all around. If it's more than that, I would definitely look into it. There is a reason they implemented these rules in the first place.

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Leksvik Gap Photos/Blog

Did you see this post in the blog?

http://baby411.typepad.com/babybarga...svik-crib.html

This is my crib, and I am very bothered by the gap. DS has only had a few naps in his crib because of it...no overnights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2