Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reindeer "Food"

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DS was so excited to leave food for the reindeers that we did it early (2 days ago). The food was given to him by his teacher and we sprinkled it on the lawn. I typed up a note with his name that read:
    "Thanks for the food you left us. It was yummy! Be good and we'll see in a fedw days." Signed, Santa's REindeer with a big ol' picture of a reindeer.

His eyes totally bugged out and he treated the note like it was made of gold. It was the cutest thing.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Normally we just leave carrots out by Santa's cookies, but DD came home with a bag of reindeer food from preschool this year too. Ours is oatmeal and red glitter. She wanted to dump it on the lawn that afternoon, but I told her the birds would eat it all and there wouldn't be any left by Christmas for the reindeer!

I think the PPs suggestions of using edible sprinkles is a good idea. Glitter just seems a little too non-biodegradable or animal friendly for scattering on your lawn!
    Jen

Haha! Yes, we'll do that again this year. Although last year I made a big deal out of the reindeer food and how it was so cool and sure to attract all of Santa's crew. Peyton looked at me and said "Mommie, I think that's just oatmeal with glitter in it." *gah* lol

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, I have a question-

If you sprinkle this stuff on your lawn, how on earth do you pick it up? Does it just blow away? What if the grass is wet?

I'm familiar with the carrots, but the glittery oatmeal is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom
    Ok, I have a question-

If you sprinkle this stuff on your lawn, how on earth do you pick it up? Does it just blow away? What if the grass is wet?

I'm familiar with the carrots, but the glittery oatmeal is new to me.
    You just leave it and the birds/squirrels get it. That's why there's talk about using something other than glitter.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

<----- freely admits she thinks about this stuff too much

The birds eat enough of it by the time you get up in the morning? Or do you just not really see it that well? I'm just picturing kids running out and seeing it still in the yard and getting upset. Am I being totally ridiculous? LOL

ETA: ^
    Also admits she should have made the arrow point up so it would make sense.

Smile Bird seed

DD#1's teacher gave them a bag and she used bird seed. So we will sprinkle some outside tonight.
    Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

Java,
    That is sooo cute. I can hardly wait to do these types of things with my DD. (She's only 16 months so reindeer and santa are still beyond us).
    I had never heard of sprinkling "reindeer food" on the lawn until this post. It is an adorable idea.

Yep! Joshua sprinkled his oatmeal and glitter on the front lawn tonight before going to bed. It's so much to have kids!!!
    Last edited by daisymommy; 12-24-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Glitter?! I hadn't thought of that. I like the sugar crystals thing, tho, so the critters don't get tummy aches. next year! This is the first year we left anything out. We made a whole spectacle of doing the celery (I bought a whole thing of it for the food I"m making anyway), and cutting it up so I have enough for Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen; Comet and Cupid and Donner and Bliltzen ... and Rudolph. We also made a huge to-do of the cookies that I made this afternoon, and DS said Santa should have three, so they're on his Reindeer plate from PBK on a TV tray next to the tree. The milk I took away and poured into the mashed potatoes as soon as we came back downstairs from tucking in DS.

Now, if only he'll SLEEP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast